• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BossHogg

Mi16 Or Gti-6 To Be Run On Carbs

BossHogg

Ok i'm slowly collecting parts for next winter, yes i know it's early but as this car is a project car, budget per month are tight, anyhoo.

Right i want a 16v engine, it will be running on carbs as the car is already set up for them, plus the loom is butchered so much going back to an ecu will be a right ball ache. :(

So as far as i can see I have the choice of MI16 or a GTI-6 engine. As i can see the MI16 engine transplant on carbs is fairly routine so that would pose not so much of a problem with regards to getting information on how to do it or off the shelf parts.

After a few searches I can't find anything about carbs on a GTI-6 engine. After a bit of thought i think the GTI-6 engine makes more sense ie easier to get a hold of, more likely to have a lower mileage.

Apart from the crippling mpg which will make an alchy blush, an reasons that this wont work?

Any thoughts on this please reply.

Hilgie

If you want carbs then I'd say Mi16...the GTi6 is much better on throttlebodies which will require a lot more on the electronics department.

Also the GTi6 does not have anything to drive the distributor so, and the Mi16 does (with the help of some 8V parts :ph34r:

Hilgert

BossHogg
If you want carbs then I'd say Mi16...the GTi6 is much better on throttlebodies which will require a lot more on the electronics department.

Also the GTi6 does not have anything to drive the distributor so, and the Mi16 does (with the help of some 8V parts :D

Hilgert

Thankyou that was just the sort of info i was after :) , now ebay time for an MI16 lump :ph34r: .

Miles

The GTi6 does work on a Dizzy dare I say it with those horrid carb thing's, I can get the adaptors made but not cheap by any means.

Matt Holley

I have got carbs on mine but with a dta ecu for the ignition, my old gti6 205 had a dizzy bolted on the exhaust cam shaft but its no where near as good as the dta set up.

monty69
Thankyou that was just the sort of info i was after :lol: , now ebay time for an MI16 lump :) .

Just don't go round corners at speed or it go boom!!! Be prepared to rebuild the mi unless its been rebuilt by a repurtable engine builder. Carbs should give similar power increase to bodies on either engine. If you go down carb route get it setup properly and with mapd ignition and mpg should be ok. I wouldnt use it as daily driver if doing lot of miles as it can cost a lot at todays prices!

Hilgie

That is so untrue...a fresh, well serviced and looked after Mi lump does not go bang around corners. It's the old, bad serviced and 'just dropped in' Mi16s that go bang due to the conrod bearings getting less oil, not topped up and then the conrod decides to take a look outside.

If you decide on Mi, find a rebuild one (ask for bills of parts and maybe labour) or have it rebuild yourself. The ones I've seen only needed the mains and rod bearings replaced. And offcourse the timingbelt, waterpump and tensioners.

B1ack_Mi16

May I add that my 1990 405 Mi16 is beeing totally abused all the time, and revlimiter is hit at least 4-5 times every day :)

It's still on it's original engine, never been overhauled (apart from headgasket when I changed the valve seals), and just passed 385000km, which will be like 239000miles?

But yes it will surge if I don't top it up properly.

If used on track with slicks etc. you might at least wanna lower the pump pickup and sump to get some more oil in there though.

BossHogg

Thanks for the info guys :lol: , much appreciated, and plenty food for thought before getting the wallet out.

This could result in a lot more thought. Bugger

monty69
That is so untrue...a fresh, well serviced and looked after Mi lump does not go bang around corners. It's the old, bad serviced and 'just dropped in' Mi16s that go bang due to the conrod bearings getting less oil, not topped up and then the conrod decides to take a look outside.

If you decide on Mi, find a rebuild one (ask for bills of parts and maybe labour) or have it rebuild yourself. The ones I've seen only needed the mains and rod bearings replaced. And offcourse the timingbelt, waterpump and tensioners.

Hence look for a rebuilt one like i said. Im sure i read hundreds of posts on oil surge around bends?! My mistake - your meant to lift of the throttle to avoid surge.What an engine :wacko:

notamondayfan
now ebay time for an MI16 lump :wacko: .

be very careful buying engines you havent seen running or have no history of, trust me, i got burnt!

boldy205

im another to say forget the dizzy on an MI16 lump. the adapters are crap and you wont get the right amount of advance with a dizzy for optimum power. I used a Megajlt setup afer a dizzy adapter and it was briliant.

Sign in to follow this