• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Liner O Rings/head Gasket

205Rallee

Have just had my TU24 rebuilt and the liner o rings weren't replaced despite me telling the builder that it is esssential they are changed. Having run it gently on the road I had no problems. Run it up to 6,000 -7,000 and the expansion tank fills up and overflows. You can see big bubbles in the tank when the engine is turned off. I can't smell exhaust in the coolant, but there is some black particles in the anti freeze.

If I run it below 5,000 the water level doesn't rise and there's no problem with the temperature,

There is no water in the oil, on the dipstick or oil cap and no water vapour out the exhaust. Will it be the headgasket or the liner o rings?

Any ideas?

RossD

More likely to be the head gasket from what you have described I would have thought. Either way, the head has to come off and when that happens you may aswell replace the liner O-rings!

Edited by RossD

205Rallee

Can you remove the liners with the block still in the car? I can't face taking the whole lot out again!

RossD

Yes, but you would need to take the sump off and disconnect the Big end bearings, you then lift the liners and pistons out together from the top. You have to make sure the liners are protruding above the block within spec though before you put it all back together, in fact that could be the problem you are experiencing at the moment if your mechanic wasn't careful when putting it all back together.

205Rallee

It's gone back to the garage to have the head taken off. Hope it's the gasket and not my head that is the problem!

RossD

Lets just hope they get it right this time! Let us know. To be honest, if they didnt remove/disturb the liners to start with then the seals are better off left, but as soon as the liners are moved the seal will never really work properly again and replacement with careful liner protrusion measurements is vital.

205Rallee
Lets just hope they get it right this time! Let us know. To be honest, if they didnt remove/disturb the liners to start with then the seals are better off left, but as soon as the liners are moved the seal will never really work properly again and replacement with careful liner protrusion measurements is vital.

Hope it is right as I'm doing a sprint at Teeside on Monday. If it's not right I'll let you know as I'll be cutting the grass instead!

205Rallee

It was the head gasket. Liner protrusion is spot on. Gasket went in two places. Now it's got new head bolts.........

RossD

Great, hopefully it should stay reliable this time!! <_<

205Rallee
Great, hopefully it should stay reliable this time!! :)

Er no. :)

No problem with coolant pressurising. Runs well only problem is the steam/vapour coming out of the breather/oil cap and dipstick. Not using any water and no water visible in oil or oil in water. Going back to the garage again.............. Fed up with it now.

Will keep you advised of what happens next.

welshpug

unless it was completely stripped bare then there will always be some condensation or coolant left in there and will burn off in the first couple of drives, but only if the oil gets warm, short drives wont burn it off.

make sure that they changed the oil...

Sandy

I've got the complete XU7J4 engine kit now, which is a weird mish mash of bits, it even contains an 8v exhaust gasket for some reason and a J4RS inlet gasket! But no liner seals or stem seals.

205Rallee
unless it was completely stripped bare then there will always be some condensation or coolant left in there and will burn off in the first couple of drives, but only if the oil gets warm, short drives wont burn it off.

make sure that they changed the oil...

The oil was changed. The guy who built it has had another look at it toiday and reckons there's nothing unusual. I'm going to take it out for a sprint at Teeside tomorrow and we'll see if it blows up!

205Rallee
The oil was changed. The guy who built it has had another look at it toiday and reckons there's nothing unusual. I'm going to take it out for a sprint at Teeside tomorrow and we'll see if it blows up!

Did the 200miles there and back. No steam at all when I got there and won my class so hopefully problem solved!

RossD

Result :rolleyes: Congratulations on the win

Sandy

Well done!

Sign in to follow this