• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mhyphenl

Rear Dampers, Upgrade Or Original

mhyphenl

Just doing a rear suspension refurb, the bushes in my drivers side shock are completely shot, over half an inch play! The shocks seem fine and half of me wants to do an original refurb, so new bushes should do it. Or should i go for an upgrade, if so I don't want racing suspension as its gonna be my everyday pug, any suggestions??

swordfish210

You could go for some Bilstein OE ones from Euro Car Parts. They're a slight upgrade on the original ones and obviously made to Bilsteins usual high quality. I'v got some on the front of mine and they're great :)

mhyphenl
You could go for some Bilstein OE ones from Euro Car Parts. They're a slight upgrade on the original ones and obviously made to Bilsteins usual high quality. I'v got some on the front of mine and they're great :)

Thanks for that, gonna buy some now. Good prices on that site :)

Henry Yorke

Some OE 306 ones are slightly uprated compared to the 205 GTI ones.

Miles

DO NOT buy the rear B4 Bilstein dampers, These are a downgrade as I;ve said many times before and are quite right dangerious on the roads around where I live, Have a search and you'll find loads on the subject, I guess even a std 205 rear damper is better they are that bad, Odd as the front's are good. I;ve even spoken to bilstein UK about it but they didn;t really seem intrested.

mhyphenl
DO NOT buy the rear B4 Bilstein dampers, These are a downgrade as I;ve said many times before and are quite right dangerious on the roads around where I live, Have a search and you'll find loads on the subject, I guess even a std 205 rear damper is better they are that bad, Odd as the front's are good. I;ve even spoken to bilstein UK about it but they didn;t really seem intrested.

What do you run on yours? Seems to be alot of differing opinions but as i'm getting deeper into this rear suspension the job is getting bigger, as usual :) so i've got more time to decide, also are you the man to supply refurb kits for the rear beam?? Befroe I do anything I'm rustproofing and undercoating the rear half of the underside, petrol tank out, the lot!

kanyeost

I got some genuine Peugeot badged 1.9 rear dampers from a stearership and am very happy with them for road use, 40 quid a side which is only ten more than the GSF ones.

Edited by kanyeost

Miles

On the back of my CTi I still have the 21 year old std dampers which still perform better than the B4 Billies, But on my old 205's I normally had the Challenge spec rears which are soild and to hard really for normal road use.

I'd stick some new OE ones or some S/H 306 ones on the back

de Noir

I remember you saying that for B6 billies rears. Now you mention B4s.

So, whats the story, both no good or what? :)

jackherer

The useless ones have BNE-1931 printed on them and are painted black.

mhyphenl

The shocks ive got seem to be in good nick now they're off the car, no sign of leaks, the bushes are shot but are only £4 ish each from pug, I'm gonna put them back on with new bushes and new bolts. Is there any way of protecting bolts from the elements just in case they need to be changed in the near future. It took me over an hour to get one of the upper mounts out :) . Also, anyone on here refurbed their compensators, rust proofing etc.

Paintguy

Mine have BNE-1932 on them - are they the same? If so, then I can't say that I've noticed any problems with mine.

Admittedly, I certainly haven't driven a wide variety of 205's so they may in fact be rubbish, and I've just learned to compensate for them :D, and of course my car isn't exactly standard as it's running a 309 beam and has around 100Kg of 'ballast' in the boot :)

I also have to say, I did purposely try and buy dampers that weren't too hard, as I drive the car daily over some of the worst roads in the country.

Looking forward to further comments on the matter..... :D

johnnyboy666

so is it base model 306 dampers that are an upgrade or does it need to be a gti6 or similar????

Alastairh

Personally, for a road car, new genuine peugeot shocks feel really nice.

Al

de Noir
...Is there any way of protecting bolts from the elements just in case they need to be changed in the near future. It took me over an hour to get one of the upper mounts out :)

Aluminium or copper anti-seize lubricant will do..

Simes

Just to add -

The Roadspped dampers from Skip Brown are excellent too! They are essentially Bilstein dampers revalved by Skip Brown for the 205 and are a little less hard than the challenge spec ones Miles uses.

Edited by Simes

Super Josh

I'm running the 306 GTi6 ones on the rear of mine. Makes for a great compromise on a daily driver.

Josh

Sign in to follow this