• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MerlinGTI

El Cheapo Ignition Amps (gsf)

Simes

Just to add, I fitted a brand new Bosch Ignition amplifier yesterday and the results we shall we say amusing.

It wouldn't rev past 3k at all easily, it back fired horrifically and all dashboard dials became very erratic. It had the same part number as my original one however it didn't look identical to the original one. I suspect it's made out in the far east or something!!

I then fitted a really old Ducillier ignition amp from an old 309GTI (1988) and it would only rev to 800rpm then cut out.

So back with my old one which is tempremental!

Rob_the_Sparky

FYI, a dying coil can have similar effects to dying ignition amp (and can cause the ignition amp to fail).

DamirGTI

.. also , id check the dizzy signal cable :)

Rgs ! :P

Damir

GLPoomobile

Taking into consideration all the other things I've read about amps, I just can't understand why it's so difficult to get one that is fit for purpose considering

1 - The relatively high cost

2 - The fact it's a fairly vital component

3 - It's a fairly simple piece of electronics

It's pretty disgraceful if so many companies are selling these things if they basically just don't work :)

maturin23

My £21 cheapo is still working just fine....

DamirGTI
Taking into consideration all the other things I've read about amps, I just can't understand why it's so difficult to get one that is fit for purpose considering

1 - The relatively high cost

2 - The fact it's a fairly vital component

3 - It's a fairly simple piece of electronics

It's pretty disgraceful if so many companies are selling these things if they basically just don't work <_<

Interesting question :rolleyes: .. could be massive/low quality production as like with most of others electronic components today (been working in the mechanic garage and our first neighbor , garage next door , was AA man and i've seen there many expensive cars such as Mercedes , BMW etc. rather new cars which where dragged off the road because of various electronic malfunctions/gremlins ..)

So it's not just the case of "dodgy" ignition amps i've seen much more expensive stuff breakdown , like Air Flow/Mass meters on these "new production cars" ...

As a result of massive production most of these electrical products leave factory without been submitted to burn-in/testing process with normal ignition/electrical load before they're packed for sale :) ... on the other hand theres a big amount of cheap Chinese rubbish on the market today <_< , which are often packed/stamped with "Made In EU" or something like that ...

Rgs ! B)

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

Simes
FYI, a dying coil can have similar effects to dying ignition amp (and can cause the ignition amp to fail).

Rob, yep that's my next point of call.

Simes
Rob, yep that's my next point of call.

Fitted new coil and rotor arm to complement my new plugs and cap, have also fitted another second hand ignition amp.

Just done 1000 miles in 4 days and found it missed around 2700 - 3200 rpm although not regularly just under load, ie. accelerating but obviously not all the time!

Going for a new set of leads next and then we will see... fingers crossed.

christopher

Hmmm :)

I have an intermoler one. Didn't they make lots of the standard ignition parts for pug too?

andymi16

So,

Are the Bosch amplifiers interchangable? 1.6/1.9/mi?

I'm doing an mi conversion but only have a 1.9 module.

Tks

DamirGTI

Yes , they're the same type :)

Rgs ! :P

Damir

andymi16

Thanks fella!

Simes
Thanks fella!

They maybe the same type and same part number but as I previously mentioned they can produce different outcomes.

Finally I sorted my missfire - dodgy HT lead. :blink:

CosKev
.. also , id check the dizzy signal cable :lol:

Rgs ! B)

Damir

Are these available anywhere except Pug does anyone know????????

cheers B)

DamirGTI

Could try asking at Bosch dealers :lol:B)

Anyway it's simple to make/repair this cable by yourself B)

Damir

EDIT : this firm might stock some 205 dizzy spares also - http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/ i've been using them in the past , they're proven/good'uns B)

Edited by DamirGTI

Sign in to follow this