• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Catch Tanks And Petrol..

kate205gti

sorry to post this up but i just need some educating and advice please :P

my standard gti6 engine on TBs is chucking petrol fumes out of the pipe that goes into the catch tank like nobodys business, question is should petrol be coming out the top of the cam cover? :wacko:

dsc03082ao6.jpg

theres not much oil in there though, ive just changed the catch tank and there was a bit of grey petroly sludge but nothing too much, but it does reek :D its stripped out too so can smell it from in the car!

you can physically see the petrol fumes when the engines idling thou

(ive got a vid just need to work out how to upload it)

how has the petrol gone up there? should it be coming out as fumes like that? (if not what could be causing it please?) and is my catch tank ok? (i know its a plastic bottle and not shiney but generally!)

thanku! :D

yorkshirekowboy
uploaded the videos but cant really see on there - you can on my phone and stood in front of it thou!

also does this idle sound ok :S

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v386/kat...nt=MOV03080.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v386/kat...nt=MOV03081.flv

it will be petrol fumes,not petrol, is part of the process of the engines cycle, that is steam coming out of the pipe and thats how the condesation builds up (normal) in the engine oil causing it to go back into the sump or being burnt, so by re routing like what you have done to the breather pipes, the catch tank with stop the condesation going into your oil, there for going into the catch tank.

Edited by surferkid205

kate205gti

does everyone else get the same amount of petrol fumes thou - they literally make your eyes water ;) the mi16 never used to have this B)

Batfink

as long as you cannot smell petrol in your oil then you should be fine ;)

NeilGTi85
does everyone else get the same amount of petrol fumes thou - they literally make your eyes water B) the mi16 never used to have this :D

I fitted a Mini Catch tank to my 2L MI16 and its doing the same....It seem's to be breathing very heavy. Had a compression check and all seemed fine. When I got my 205 (2L 405 MI16), there was no pipe connecting to the filler pot...so I fitted a catch tank to stop it spurting over my rad.

But as i dont do many track day's I'm going to get rid of the catch tank and route the pipe under the block and over the g'box....

Not much help I know ;)

I'm selling my catch tank if you wanted a pro look....this is what i have: http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/mini-oil-catch-...-octm-459-p.asp 20 + P&P

Neil

Edited by NeilGTi85

Anthony

Are you sure that the smell is definately petrol and not just hot oil?

You really shouldn't have a strong smell of petrol coming out of what is basically the oil vapour breather system - for there to be a strong smell of petrol in there in my opinion you'd have to be running the engine rich and borewashing it, leading to petrol in the oil (which will then get circulated).

Hot oil smell is fairly normal though, especially given that you're venting the catch bottle to atmosphere.

Can't listen to the videos at work to be able to give any comment on the idle, but if you're coming to the curry tomorrow evening in the car then I'll lend an ear then ;)

NeilGTi85

Mine is running very rich at the mo because my Lambda Sensor is broken.....cheers Anthony

Neil

dazEmad

I always get a bit of petrol smell when the car is 1st running for 1 or 2 mins after that its fine. I Also have one of these catch tanks looks and works really well. For the money there a bargain click here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OIL-Catch-Tank-FOCUS...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by dazEmad

tom_m
For the money there a bargain click here

for the money my vittel bottle does exactly the same job :rolleyes:

kate205gti

i hate it when Anthonys right - hes had a look today and insists that its oil fumes not petrol (thou it still made his eyes water!)

however he did say that the amount of fumes it was kicking out was a bit concerning! the catch tank only has a dribble of actual oil in the bottom after a 150miles rag so really not that much, and its still showing nearly full on the dipstick, so it is just fumes and not oil itself, however you can see see the fumes clearly on idle in the engine bay from quite a distance! (but they dont seem to get any better or worse on blipping the throttle)

i'll do an oil change but still really not sure this is normal behaviour!

GTI6BOY

mine does the same but the oil never goes down, i have my pipe going straight down past the gearbox

Bally

THese engines seem to breathe pretty heavy.

mrblonde

any chance of someone posting a pic up of a 8v engine with the breather system modded please as i would ike to do this to my pug.cheers :)

Dream Weaver
any chance of someone posting a pic up of a 8v engine with the breather system modded please as i would ike to do this to my pug.cheers :wacko:

Only add a catch tank if you need to do it, i.e. when adding TB's or carbs and losing the std system as the std OEM system is much better for engine breathing than a catch tank system as it draws any vapour out.

Rom

What about the fact its getting oily vapour fed back into the inlet ?

I always went with the assumption cleaner air is going to be better, but manufacturers cant really design cars with catch tanks. As although not illegal, there still more harmful to the environment than a standard breather system

I cant see a benefit to having hot oily vapour sent back into the engine ?

tom_m
What about the fact its getting oily vapour fed back into the inlet ?

oil sucked in through the inlet saps power

DSC00459.jpg

in this pic the fat pipe coming from the oil filler cap goes into a vittel bottle sitting on the chassis leg behind the battery.

it worked perfectly and did exactly what it said on the tin <_<

Rom

I got a little catch tank off fleabay, im going to take the cam breather and the filler breather to it when i put the engine back in.

mrblonde

so tom did you jut block off the holes with tape or something then just had the big hose to a water bottle?.

tom_m
so tom did you jut block off the holes with tape or something then just had the big hose to a water bottle?.

yup. i always meant to get round to putting something a bit more permanent there instead, but the tape worked well enough :)

mrblonde

so did you block off the k&n adaptor to leave it open mate?...i did mine today but left the pipe to the adaptor on for the mo.it does seem to run better.

Sign in to follow this