• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sutol

And They Said It Was Going To Be Easy !

sutol

Was it you who said "just bung another loom in mate, easy peasy" post-9302-1208979555.gif

I think I'm doing something wrong here 'cause it is getting more difficult as I go along.

Here's where I'm up to

post-9302-1208979800.jpg

What did I do wrong or is this how it is?

One good thing is that the mileage slipped when I removed the instrument pod, it now reads 52,000 post-9302-1208979761.gif

AdamP

Remove the whole dash.

Not as hard as it looks, honest! And it makes it MUCH easier to get at the loom.

sutol
Remove the whole dash.

Not as hard as it looks, honest! And it makes it MUCH easier to get at the loom.

Tried to go that way but even following the haynes guide I still cant get the centre console to come loose. I've undone all the screws and the two bolts holding it to the radio bit but the bit on the tunnel is stuck fast as is the centre part of the main dash. :wacko::D:D It says release the two clips and shows a pic but it is different to mine :P:wacko:

steve@cornwall
Tried to go that way but even following the haynes guide I still cant get the centre console to come loose. I've undone all the screws and the two bolts holding it to the radio bit but the bit on the tunnel is stuck fast as is the centre part of the main dash. :wacko::D:D It says release the two clips and shows a pic but it is different to mine :P:wacko:

Have you found the 10mm nut holding the front of the console?once that one is got, the 2 screws from the front and the 2 8mm from radio console, it should be able to be raised at the front and withdrawn. Main dash top is easier to remove with the screen post trims removed - push up gently to release. main dash is then a 10mm either side under the vents, 2 x10mm nuts under scuttle panel (1 through ecu bracket IIRC) and the long reach centre 10mm nut from through the bit above the coin tray. Have fun :lol:

sutol
Have you found the 10mm nut holding the front of the console?once that one is got, the 2 screws from the front and the 2 8mm from radio console, it should be able to be raised at the front and withdrawn. Main dash top is easier to remove with the screen post trims removed - push up gently to release. main dash is then a 10mm either side under the vents, 2 x10mm nuts under scuttle panel (1 through ecu bracket IIRC) and the long reach centre 10mm nut from through the bit above the coin tray. Have fun :D

Got the three from under the scuttle :P and at floor level

Got the two from ends near fresh air vents :wacko:

Got radio console ones :lol:

Missed long reach one from coin tray area :D

But,

managed to raise dash and get loom out from over the column support and free it off and remove it B)

The back of my hand is cut to f**k but it's done and the new loom is in place.

The colours don't match when plugs plugged in but I'm assured that it's plug in and go so here's hoping.

I'll put it all back tomorrow and then I can position the engine and get going on finishing it :wacko:

djinuk

what exactly is the new loom going in for mate?

sutol
what exactly is the new loom going in for mate?

Mi16 loom and ECU.

Hope it makes the motor work (mi16)

All Praise The GTI

i always seem to struggle getting the ecu plug over the steering column! ;)

sutol
i always seem to struggle getting the ecu plug over the steering column! ;)

Easy mate, just take the car apart , no problem post-9302-1208989013.gif not...

post-9302-1208988874.jpg

jackherer

Just cut the ECU plug off the knackered old 8v loom and pull the wires through without taking the dash apart at all...

All Praise The GTI

never thought of that! :wacko:

Ren

Slightly off topic but are you the same Sutol who is a member on Vx220.org?

sutol
never thought of that! :lol:

loom is to be saved but did consider that :lol:

Slightly off topic but are you the same Sutol who is a member on Vx220.org?

Sorry no, Norlog and Isuzu though, yes.

Rate the VX220, just a pity they kept the corporate logo on the front which I think spoilt the design of the front end. :)

jackherer
Rate the VX220, just a pity they kept the corporate logo on the front which I think spoilt the design of the front end. :)

Thats easily solved with an Opel grill from ebay.de

jim205GTI
Just cut the ECU plug off the knackered old 8v loom and pull the wires through without taking the dash apart at all...

Thats what i did!! Easy peasy!! And the car runs so obviously did it right!! :)

Sign in to follow this