• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest OldGit

Xs Suspension/brake Suggestions?

Guest OldGit

hello,

I'm wondering what anyone's recommendations are for a standard 205xs.

I have a couple of 1.6 gti's and lots of bits kicking round at the mo, one of the 1.6's is a chassis writeoff (rust) the other is good but tatty and in lots of pieces. (could rebuild quite easily)

i'm wondering if there is much i could move to the xs. i know the fundamentals of the front end are different, but unsure if that would stop me moving hubs n struts over to put the vented discs in?

AdamP

Is it possible to swap the whole subframe?

Anthony
i'm wondering if there is much i could move to the xs. i know the fundamentals of the front end are different, but unsure if that would stop me moving hubs n struts over to put the vented discs in?

Struts you can swap fine - just ignore the tab for the droplinks as the XS front suspension doesn't use them.

1.9 GTi vented disks will fit straight onto XS (or any base model) hub. You could rub the 1.6 hubs and disks if you wanted though - the driveshafts will fit and you'll gain a little extra front track width as they've a different offset.

You can swap the whole front suspension over to full GTI spec including the subframe, although you need to make a few modifications - do a search and you should find everything that you need to know as there's a few people on here that have done it.

Guest OldGit

cheers... hmm... maybe the whole subframe is the way forward...

i tried searching first and got frustrated with the term '205 xs' generating an error as it didn't seem to like two-letter words?

swordfish210

if you want to swap the whole subframe then you need to cut the gearlinkage post off of the TU subframe and cut the one off the GTI subframe. Junk the one from the GTI subframe and weld the TU one on to the GTI subframe. You need to measure where the TU one was one the original subframe and weld it on the GTI subframe in the same place. Sorted :wacko:

kanyeost

Rear ARB and rear dampers as a minimum on the back, if the GTI beam is good move the whole lot. EDIT: if you swap the beam I think the 1.6 drums are a bit bigger and give a very slightly wider track that could possbly cause arch rub issues, not sure though, I kept my original drums when upgrading the beam.

On the front, I don't think you necessarily need to do the subframe, it adds a bit of weight and I have read a few accounts where people have changed the struts first and then later the whole subframe and claimed it didn't make much difference... I have just the struts and it feels pretty good.

Do some searches on PSOOC too, StuWOAC has some interesting posts on there as someone else mentioned recently.

Edited by kanyeost

Guest OldGit

hm, ok, maybe just the parts at the front then... rear beam seems ok, so i'd've been hanging onto that anyway... the grey git owes me money! :) welding is one of the few things i don't/can't do... :D

since we're going round the back here (so to speak) is it worth my while replumbing the brakes ala 16gti?

finally, picking up on the comment about the hubs adding slightly to the track of the car, if i wanted to go down the 309 route i'd really have needed to swap the subframe, wouldn't i?

Peetypug

would gti6 front brakes fit on standard hubs :)

swordfish210
would gti6 front brakes fit on standard hubs :)

yeah they would, anything that fits on 1.9 hubs will fit base model ones.

Jrod

Yep including these :)

post-8046-1209303367_thumb.jpg

RossD

Wahey, proper overkill there!! :)

Jrod

Yep totally, that's why I sold them. :D

Now run standard calipers and solid discs! :)

Sign in to follow this