• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Casanova

Noooo, Please Don't Make Me Take It To Bits Again!

Casanova

Having just completed the world's longest and most drawn-out gearbox change (excuses: cold, wet, money, apathy, breaking things as I fix them), I finally got my white XS MOTed yesterday :) Loving driving it again, its been too long.

BUT the clutch now slips above about 2500rpm (estimated, revcounter doesn't work) so I guess I must have damaged the crankshaft oil seal when fitting the box B) So now I'm face with the prospect of having to split the engine and box all over again to change the seal (and maybe the clutch). :blink:

Just needed a moan...

Rippthrough
Having just completed the world's longest and most drawn-out gearbox change (excuses: cold, wet, money, apathy, breaking things as I fix them), I finally got my white XS MOTed yesterday :) Loving driving it again, its been too long.

BUT the clutch now slips above about 2500rpm (estimated, revcounter doesn't work) so I guess I must have damaged the crankshaft oil seal when fitting the box B) So now I'm face with the prospect of having to split the engine and box all over again to change the seal (and maybe the clutch). :blink:

Just needed a moan...

That's alright, I fitted a brand spanking shiny kevlar clutch a couple of weeks back, the rocker cover gasket went yesterday and spat all the oil down the bellhousing breather, so I've got to get another now as it slips everywhere!

Edited by Rippthrough

AdamP

If it's got to be done it's got to be done!

It's always easier the 2nd/3rd/4th time :blink:

swordfish210

meh i had to do this when i was rebuilding mine. I fitted the engine, connected it all up, fitted the box and got the car back on wheels. I thwen realised that i had forgoten to tighten up the pressure plate bolts :blink: So out came the box again. It only takes about 2 houes to do a bx change on an XS anyways, you'll be fine :)

Tom Fenton
meh i had to do this when i was rebuilding mine. I fitted the engine, connected it all up, fitted the box and got the car back on wheels. I thwen realised that i had forgoten to tighten up the pressure plate bolts :wacko: So out came the box again. It only takes about 2 houes to do a bx change on an XS anyways, you'll be fine :D

Even worse than that, I once when doing a customers car replaced the clutch and had it all the way back together before all of a sudden becoming convinced that I hadn't tightened the pressure plate bolts. So out the box had to come again to check, only to find that I actually HAD tightened them in the first place....GRR

I now mark on the flywheel next to the bolts when I have torqued each one so I can check in future without removing gearbox!

DaveW

Slacker i could have a xs engine in and out in 2 hours :wacko:

Jrod

and 5 years to put a 16v in?

DaveW

Yeah wiring aint my thang :rolleyes:

sutol
:( So now I'm face with the prospect of having to split the engine and box all over again to change the seal (and maybe the clutch). :rolleyes:

Just needed a moan...

If your clutch has oil on it then stick the plate in a pan of water and boil for twenty minutes. Comes out good as new :blush:

AdamP
If your clutch has oil on it then stick the plate in a pan of water and boil for twenty minutes. Comes out good as new :rolleyes:

Word of mouth or actually tried?

christopher

How about brake cleaner or petrol?

AdamP
How about brake cleaner or petrol?

I wouldn't use petrol... you don't know what's in it that could contaminate it further.

Jrod

How about clutch cleaner? (it's usually sold as brake and clutch cleaner)

sutol

Done it with clutch and also brake linings. :lol:

sutol

Just to add,

I've boiled many a brake lining and clutch plate in the past but you shouldn't because you may die (disclaimer)

The boiling/simmering process removes brake fluid and or oil from the lining material and they will dry clean and useable.

I was told by a book reading, rules and regulations geek that the heat would damage the material and als damage the bonding of that material to the brake shoes/clutch.

Yeh right, I think that the brakes see much more than boiling point in their lifetime so boiling water wont do em any harm me thinks, anyway, I've had no problems and found it nessesary to do when I had no money for new ones. Why buy new anyway when the old ones are good, just wet with fluid.

Try it for yourself and if not happy then throw em away, and try and do it when the wife is out or she'll be moaning about her pans :lol:

AdamP

Top tip!

Casanova

Cheers for the tip, but if I take the whole bloody thing to bits I want to be certain its only done once! I picked up a clutch kit from a motor factor for £40 inc VAT at the weekend so that's going in along with a fresh crankshaft oil seal to be safe. The contaminated clutch is only a few thousand miles old though so I will boil it and keep it in a plastic bag for future use.

Incidentally, after a few hundred miles the clutch seems to be slipping less, although it does still slip. Guess some of the oil must be burning/wearing away...

Casanova

Well, a bit of an update. Have covered about 700 miles since it went back together and the slipping problem has got steadily better. Its now only an issue when applying full beans and/or with plenty of lock. I guess that whatever contamination is on the clutch is wearing off and not being replaced, so that's good news... I've been trying to get it to slip now, to encourage this improvement through wear. Still have the replacement clutch I bought sitting in the garage ready, but its no longer such a priority.

§

Sign in to follow this