• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MerlinGTI

Oil Pump Questions

MerlinGTI

Hello

Im going to replace my oil pump on my 1.6GTI ('88). Wheres the best place to pick up a new unit? GSF dont seem to do them and im guessing pug are charging the earth?

Also during a search of the topic I found these 'uprated' parts from the XU10:

Oil Pump Spring - 1157 11 - £1.56

52 Link Chain - 1033 10 - £21.12

Sprocket - 0513 54 - £4.32

Will these fit my 1.6? Are they ALL worth doing?

Cheers

2-Pugs

QEP sell one for £71.55. I think that is +VAT. Give them a ring, they are very helpful.

Are you sure it needs replacing though, after all, the oil pump is normally first in line for lubrication :D

welshpug

is your original pump worn excessively? check whether is in specification but O.E pumps tend to outlast the rest of the engine, and if they do need replacing its best to use O.E.

Miles

The oil Pumps normally go on pretty much for ever, but if you do need to replace it only and only use a Pug OE one, I say that as the only 2 engine's with pattern pumps I;ve seen problems with and both came down to the pump, as always you pay for what you get.

The std drive is fine for the 1.6, but again if you do upgrade you'll need the 1.9 parrts from the crank as they are a friction fit not a keyed fit as the 1.6

MerlinGTI

Im not certin its knackered to be honest. I was going to replace it along with uprated spring etc. in an attempt to cure my low pressure whilst hot. But now I know the uprated parts wont fit I dont think I'll bother.

Cheers

Atari Boy

Slight hijack, but I am planning on fitting the uprated spring to the standard 1.9 8 valve lump.

I thought it will fit, will it?

Miles

The spring will fit fine, It's just the drive between the 1.6 and 1.9 and early 2L are different, In the late GTi6 engine's it was revised and had a keyed drive again

MerlinGTI

Oh, so just to claify miles, the uprated spring from the XU10 will fit a 1.6 GTI pump? (or was you talking to Atari boy? :wacko:)

Also would you reccomend me doing this?

Ludi

Hi everyone,

I have 205 1.9 gti 1989 engine and have some problems with my oil pump.I want to know how much is new oil pump.

In Macedonia is 300 euros. :D

That is pretty much for oil pump I think. :huh:

Thanks in advance

Viktor

DRTDVL
Im not certin its knackered to be honest. I was going to replace it along with uprated spring etc. in an attempt to cure my low pressure whilst hot. But now I know the uprated parts wont fit I dont think I'll bother.

Cheers

Hi can you let me know the results of if changing the pump fixed your problem? I've got the same thing i think oil temp gets above 70^C and idle pressure drops to 3psi...

If you increaes your rev's does the pressure return?

welshpug

3psi?? sure that's not 3 bar?

as the warning light comes on at 14 psi!

philfingers

I'm using Fuchs SYN Diesel (10W40 Full syn, £20 for 5 ltres from GSF) in my 1900 (Alloy) Mi16. Mi16 pump with GTi6 chain and spring. Mocal oil cooler with thermostat. I see around 80psi idling cold, upto 100psi when I first get on the motorway at 4000rpm (4300rpm with 4.44 final drive at 70 mph in 5th) and it's cold. When it's warmed up it's about 70psi at 4000rpm and idles at around 25psi at tickover.

The oil is not too thin. if you're using thin oil this won't help your pressure. the spring won't help low pressure. it's a pressure relief spring, it vents high pressure. As miles (and other) have said unless there's damage to the pump it's unlikely to be the problem. more likely engine bearings. For £70 you could replace the big ends and mains, so long as there's not any damge to crank etc

DRTDVL
3psi?? sure that's not 3 bar?

as the warning light comes on at 14 psi!

Yup 3 psi...

I've never seen the oil warning light come on, i'll have to see if it still works...

I've got a aftermarket oil pressure guage at the moment, can't remember the brand tho...

I've got to hook up a mechanical guage but jsut haven't had the time yet,,,

Sign in to follow this