• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
oli-pug

Is An Lsd/atb A Must Have For The Gti-6 Conversion...?

oli-pug

This is a question aimed at all who have driven/own a 205 gti6, whether it be a daily driver or a track biased car. I'd like to know your experiences and usage of the car in hand.

I know theres a lot of mi converted 205s out there running open differentials and no-one really complains but does the extra torque of the j4rs lump make it a no brainer to upgrade the diff!?

Now obviously, it's always going to be a great upgrade for any car no matter what the power & torque outputs are but where does everyone think the limit is where its got to be done on the 205.

tom_m

its not so much a must have for one specific engine, more like you'll see an improvement whatever you've got. its about making hte most out of the available grip, not necessarily putting more power down. once you find the limits of the diff and mechanical grip you'll still spin wheels whatever engine is in it.

camgti

It would just about say its a must have. The amount of power going through the front wheels IMO is to much for the open diff to cope with, especially when your coming out of tight corners and giving it some. You will end up getting frustrated with the inside wheel spinning. Also the open diff can let go without warning. Some will say theres has lasted for ages, i had one let go just pulling out of a petrol station. Its a little expensive but ultimatly rewarding and worth the expence.

Cam

TurboSam

Speaking from having a 205 GTi-6 road car, standard diff is fine..

I don't have any wheelspin issues (and thats with a 1.6 box), but then I don't exactly drive like a hooligan on the road ;)

Tom Fenton

Standard diff does work OK up to a point, I guess it depends what you use the car for and how hard you drive it. At the end of the day, a 306 GTI and a Xsara VTS come with the engine as standard with an open diff in a car that is not a great deal heavier than a 205.

However fitting one is the best £500 I ever spent on my track day 205 and I think most people who have fitted one would say the say.

camgti

Ive got a MI16 with higher comp cams, individual coils etc and mine will spin in third coming out of a corner if im giving it too much, i would hate to think what an open diff would be like. Its not also a wheelspin issue its also a huge contributer to corner speed IMO. You can drive through the corner with much more confidence and i feel carry much more speed as you simply have more grip and also much more turn inonce the power is correctly applied. (if you can get that...)

Cam...

RonnieG

Would agree with above - Depends on your driving style.

If your just into light to moderate acceleration a diff's gonna be an expensive luxury whereas if your into more foot to the floor stuff and especially anywhere near a track then an LSD is going to make a big difference!

I'm going to list my Quaife ATB in the For Sale section or Ebay in a couple of days - Just need to get round to creating an ad but if your interested then give me a shout......

whizzer71

Couldnt recommend a Quaife strongly enough,Totally transforms the driveability ,For me its a no brainer ,JFDI !!!!

:D

Matt Holley

Its not so much needed on the road but its much more fun with it :lol:

If you are going to use it on track as I think you will be its really a must :D

Alastairh

Not needed. But alot of fun...

James_R

Certainly not a must have item, the car will still function fine with an open diff and drive perfectly well, provided the sus is set up ok, you can get away without one fine.

They do however make a huge difference for track usage (diff's in general) and will cover up issues mentioned about about wheel spin in corners in higher gears, but that's usually down to sus setup than anything else.

But as said in other threads, if you're going to spank that much money plates be it Kaaz or TranX would be the better option. Cant' say I've driven a Kaaz equip'd car so can't comment, but the TranX I have in box box is possible the single bit of kit I'd put on a car I could only put one thing on to. :blink:

It's not hard to whip a box off and swap one in, drive it around as is for a while then deicde :) ??

jonnie205

no need to remove box, it can be fitted with box in car

VisaGTi16v

Yer, although the Visa isnt quite the same as the 205 at the front, room is pretty much. Got mine in by undoing the alternator and bottom engine mount then putting a scissor jack between the subframe and engine to tilt it forward and hold it in place. Which ever option you go for, check that the diff turns by putting in 1 driveshaft before you bolt it all up properly! Most/all(?) plate ones need some minor dremelling to the diff housing and I had to for my quaife as well

whizzer71

I normally just "Gun" The subframe off (Leave the steering rack/gearlinks up there)only takes a few minutes and then its just a case of drain oil shafts out remove the speedo housing,remove the back of the diff casing and youre in ! (+ you have the added advantage of more room to work around)

:wacko:

kate205gti

i fitted mine on my original mi16 engine before TBs and would say its worth having regardless of engine :wacko:

however the 6 engine has a lot more torque so def better to have a diff of some sort than none at all - unless you have arms like arny :D

oli-pug

Thanks for the input everyone!

The car is definitely going on track! I was always going to fit a diff, just a matter of when I suppose.

I'll probably get the engine in and running first, get a rebuilt beam and make sure the braking/ suspension systems all up to scratch then i'll look at getting a Kaaz lsd. Plate is the way forward lol

Like you guys said, it's an easy enough job to do while the engine's in so i'll see how it goes. For now the priority is getting the bloody thing running!

Baz

Old Mi wasn't soo bad. But tbh i have enough trouble putting the power down out of the tighter corners Sprinting a std 1.6. A very beneficial mod for things like that i guess.

CaptainK

I have a GTi6 205 without a LSD. Would like to drive one with a LSD first to see what its like before paying out more money on my rather failed GTi6 conversion project thats cost me far more than expected already.

whizzer71
I have a GTi6 205 without a LSD. Would like to drive one with a LSD first to see what its like before paying out more money on my rather failed GTi6 conversion project thats cost me far more than expected already.

I though you were "Bowled over" with It Kieron ?,The 205 is amazing with a GTi6 engine it providing its all fitted correctly and the car is all set up to cope with the extra Go ! (Ie Bigger stoppers decent suspension etc).

The difference the Quaife makes was for me one of the best mods per £ I ever bought just wish I hadn't let it go with my last car that i sold to Fangio.

Really comes into its own when being driven like the car was made to be very nearly erradicates understeer too I couldnt recommend one enough !

As I already mmentioned in my earlier post Just Go 4 It ! Its alot of ££££'s but so worth it and I cant wait to get another !

:)

CaptainK
I though you were "Bowled over" with It Kieron ?,The 205 is amazing with a GTi6 engine it providing its all fitted correctly and the car is all set up to cope with the extra Go ! (Ie Bigger stoppers decent suspension etc).

The difference the Quaife makes was for me one of the best mods per £ I ever bought just wish I hadn't let it go with my last car that i sold to Fangio.

Really comes into its own when being driven like the car was made to be very nearly erradicates understeer too I couldnt recommend one enough !

As I already mmentioned in my earlier post Just Go 4 It ! Its alot of ££££'s but so worth it and I cant wait to get another !

I've been reading about the LSDs and I think I'll need to get one sometime as my 205 was a nightmare to try and make corner at any decent speed. Don't have the muscles to hold the steering wheel. :)

Alas, the GTi6 engine in mine not long after fitting, requiring a very expensive rebuild of the engine that I wasn't expecting to have to pay for, let alone so soon after having the engine fitted. I've been having to tighten my belt already for the last couple of months just to get the car back on the road.

But anyways, from reading this thread and seeing the description of what an LSD does, I think I'll be getting one later on down the line. How later on down the line depends on how big the bill is for my engine rebuild. :lol:

Sign in to follow this