• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Coonper

Carbon Fibre Film

Coonper

What do we think to the idea of a covering my bonnet in carbon fibre film?

It will be cheaper than painting and could look cool if done well.

Does anyone know where i can get the film from? Im not talking carbon "look", i want actual carbon! Im not that cheap... :(

daveholman

Don't know anyone specifically but try contacting someone like Curley mouldings or Reverie to see if they've got anything like that. They do stuff specifically for cars and I know they do solid sheeting but am unsure if they do flexible film except for the carbon look stuff.

Firms like netcomposites and fibre lite do general use industrial carbon so they are likely to have a wider range of sheeting and composite coverings. My dad seems to think that netcomposites do carbon coatings for industrial use so they may be able to do something for you but if it was purely for industrial use it may not be the quality of finish you would want on a car bonnet and I don't think it'd be that cheap either.

I know that Carbon Mods do flexible carbon mudflaps but the sheets aren't really big enough and are quite thick but you could see if they can make you a thinner, bigger sheet.

Coonper

Cheers mate, but no joy! I tried pretty much all of those places and none of them could help me :(

Nathan

You can't easily put carbon onto a bonnet, it can be done but would be very labour intensive and likely to cost nearly as much as an actual carbon bonnet there by making it kinda pointless.

And if you bought carbon already cured into a sheet (you'll struggle to find a bit that big too) it won't be flexible enough to follow the contors of a bonnet.

Coonper
You can't easily put carbon onto a bonnet, it can be done but would be very labour intensive and likely to cost nearly as much as an actual carbon bonnet there by making it kinda pointless.

And if you bought carbon already cured into a sheet (you'll struggle to find a bit that big too) it won't be flexible enough to follow the contors of a bonnet.

Looks like i'll have to use "carbon look film" ;)

Batfink

but everyone will know its fake so why bother?

Jrod

...and think you are a d*ck for doing it.

Coonper

Yer, suppose so! But im too tight to pay for a real one, or to get it painted and i thought it would cover up some of the dents in it.

I might just spray it black...

tom_m

matt black with a bit of green mould on the side. rocking the rat look ;)

Coonper
matt black with a bit of green mould on the side. rocking the rat look :)

Thats my car all over mate! Not that i want it to be... ;)

KRISKARRERA

Years ago when I had the 309 Mi16 and used to buy all those Max Power type mags they put a carbon fibre effect sunstrip in with the mag and as my 309 bonnet had had an awful respray I did think for about 10- seconds of buying several mags to carbon fibre my bonnet! :);)

In the end I paid £160 for pug to respray it.

Coonper

Well at 18 these thoughts do run through your head...

daveholman

I think a key point has been missed, the first stone chip you get will completely wreck it cause then it'll peel up from the tear as water gets underneath.

Would it not be easier and probably cheaper to find a dead one in a scrappy and commendeer the bonnet off that???

johnnyboy666

slightly off topic but what wheels are they in your little picture thingy coonper?? they look a bit tasty

Coonper
slightly off topic but what wheels are they in your little picture thingy coonper?? they look a bit tasty

Haha! They are revolution 5 spokes.

9jx15

djinuk

Hey dude, i have a friend that will respray your bonnet if you like, he is s*it not and not really dear, it will be put in to bake etc so the finish comes out tip top.

pdd144c

We sell the stick on carbon fibre sheets.

Coonper
We sell the stick on carbon fibre sheets.

Sounds promising...

How much would you charge to supply me with enough to do a bonnet?

pdd144c

PM sent.

Sign in to follow this