• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
qwertyuiop7

Alternator Problems (again) But No Dash Warning Light ?

qwertyuiop7

Hi,

My car let me down for the first time this week, with what at first looked like a flat battery. Bumped it of and she started first time. Drove to work the long way, to put some charge in it. Flat as pancake again at home time, push start again to get home and put the battery on charge over night. Next morning did some tests battery 100% ok. On idle its only reading 11 volts across the battery not rise at all when reved, and the engine dies with all the lights and heated screen on. So a fair guess is the alternator is bust in some way, BUT the warning light on the dash has never come on. Checked the light by grounding the connector on the top of the alternator and its comes on so the light works. Whats happening, is the alternator bust? or is the lack of warning light telling me the alternator is fine but the charge isn't getting back to the battery properly.

Cheers

Phil

Tom Fenton

Sounds like the alternator is u/s, I'd take it off and to a refurb place, these usually have a rig to be able to test and diagnose what is up with it.

Sign in to follow this