• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Suspension Upgrade

Ethos

Hi guys,

At some point i'd be looking to freshen up the 205s front suspension as at 130k mile it must be getting on now. I was looking at the spax that are for sale on here but after reading around it seems these are a VERY harsh ride.

What would you guys suggest for a drop (at the moment the front sits waaay too high) and a general freshen up?

Rough prices / places to get would be a bonus :lol:

Thanks

Simes

Bilstein Sprintline kit is your best kit for cheap and rewarding results. Not to be confused with its cheaper and 'shocking' half sister the streetline kit.

Searching will provide many answers. :lol:

Ethos
Bilstein Sprintline kit is your best kit for cheap and rewarding results. Not to be confused with its cheaper and 'shocking' half sister the streetline kit.

Searching will provide many answers. :lol:

A quick search puts that kit about about £500 :lol:

Batfink

quite simply fit standard. A low budget buys you crap i'm afraid

Ethos
quite simply fit standard. A low budget buys you crap i'm afraid

Surely there must be a cheapish upgrade that will be better than oem... failing that how hard is it to "refurb" the current setup (with new springs).

I'm a bit of a suspension newbie, so sorry if it's simple stuff.

M@tt

get some OE bilstein shockers (£82 delivered for a pair) from Motorsportworld.

I've just fitted a set to mine and has made the ride firm but comfortable, coupled with a set of eibach springs

Ethos
get some OE bilstein shockers (£82 delivered for a pair) from Motorsportworld.

I've just fitted a set to mine and has made the ride firm but comfortable, coupled with a set of eibach springs

Thanks mate, what sort of price can I get the eibach springs for also where can I get them from?

This sounds like a good solution, I'm guessing the springs won't be much more than £40 odd so say £120 so completely freshen up the front end.

Would there be anything I'd need to updated, top mounts? :lol:

mfield

Anti-roll bar bushes apparently make a noticable difference when renewed, surely no more than £20 ?

Edited by mfield

M@tt

eibach springs are about £100 unless you can get some 2nd hand (i paid £40 for some second hand ones)

you can feshen up the top mounts as well whilst your doing it, basically its just the bearings and the rubber mounts. Check the condition of the rubber mounts ie they're not really soft and have worn badly and that the bearing spins smoothly with no gritty sounding noise which would indicate you have got crap in the bearing.

welshpug

Make sure all the bushes are in good order, fit a kit of Peugeot ones if they arent, fit new top mount bearings and top rubber.

Anti-roll bar bushes apparently make a noticable difference when renewed, surely no more than £20 ?

not even a tenner!

for a decent ride get Peugeot O.E dampers, not cheap, nothing good is! stick to o.e springs too.

fast road, sprintline or SBC roadspeed, though both of these work best with uprated torsion bars to make a balanced car, so not the cheapest option.

Edited by welshpug

Ethos

Wicked thanks guys, this has helped out loads.

I'm thinking about changing the engine over at some point to mi16 or gti-6 so makes sense to get the suspension and brakes sorted first.

Anyone got some spare 1.9 calipers by the way? :lol:

TT205

Fastest and cheapest way to improve handling is to get a thicker rear anti-roll bar and replace rear beam rubber mounts with solids to stop the excessive LOS

kyepan
Fastest and cheapest way to improve handling is to get a thicker rear anti-roll bar and replace rear beam rubber mounts with solids to stop the excessive LOS

what he said.

quite alot of the newer hot peugeots run with thicker 22mm ARB's in the rear, the pug has a 19mm, its very very very very easy to swap, and cost's roughly a hundred quid.

I've spent about 1500 quid on improving my car's handlling, and it's just not as much fun as when it was standard.

thats an admission for you.

Miles

Starting at the cheapest, but all with new Top Mount Bearing's, Top Mount Rubber's

1. Streetline or B4 front's (Forget about the rear ones)

2. OE Pug Fronts & rears

3. Sprintline B6 (Std height) or B8 for lowered car's

4. Eibach springs

5. It get's expensive from here.

I can supply it all,

Coonper

Have you got prices for the above??

Edited by Coonper

GLPoomobile

If anyone is aware of the typical retail price for the Sprintline kit, and for Eibach 7001 springs (neither being cheap), I think you'd be VERY surprised by what Miles can offer these for. I had a very good quote the other week from him for B8 front and rear dampers and Eibach springs, which I will take him up on later in the year.

Sign in to follow this