• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Valve Piston Clearance 8v Tu

christopher

I've done some measurements on valve lifts on 8v TU before a dry build and am now worried about piston valve clearance :mellow: . Doing some basic measurements I'm seeing that the valve seems to protrude into the cylinder 0.9mm at 2.7mm of lift @TDC. I'm unsure how much this clearance changes after TDC I can only do a basic check without doing a dry build.

Now that I am considering using flat top pistons this doesn't leave a lot of clearance. What is the recommended clearance?

I know Sandy relieved the pistons on his build. I suppose this is an option. Question is does this a piston out job?

Has anyone bulit a 8v using flat top pistons (TU5J4) is so what kind of lift @ TDC were they running?

Edited by christopher

Sandy

I have recently built an 8v with TU5J4 pistons, but I machined cutouts on the mill before I built it up. What you can do with the pistons in place, is use a gash head, cut up a valve to make it into a rotary cutter, smear grease around the edge of the piston to trap swarf, (lock the crank at TDC), put the valve in the head, drop the head on without a gasket, put a drill on the valve and GENTLY spin the valve "cutter" down onto the piston. It's bloody tricky, but a fairly common method which i have used satisfactorily for minor cut outs several times. Obviously the clean up must be undertaken very carefully and the cutting edge/bacedge on the valve is crucial to the success.

christopher
I have recently built an 8v with TU5J4 pistons, but I machined cutouts on the mill before I built it up. What you can do with the pistons in place, is use a gash head, cut up a valve to make it into a rotary cutter, smear grease around the edge of the piston to trap swarf, (lock the crank at TDC), put the valve in the head, drop the head on without a gasket, put a drill on the valve and GENTLY spin the valve "cutter" down onto the piston. It's bloody tricky, but a fairly common method which i have used satisfactorily for minor cut outs several times. Obviously the clean up must be undertaken very carefully and the cutting edge/bacedge on the valve is crucial to the success.

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for that. Do you have any pictures of the TU5J4 piston milled down and the valve cutter? I think the cutout needs to be relativly minor. But I'm not 100 % sure

Sandy

Here's the machined TU5J4 piston:

post-2671-1208327263_thumb.jpg

I don't have a pic of the valve cutter handy.

christopher
Here's the machined TU5J4 piston:

post-2671-1208327263_thumb.jpg

I don't have a pic of the valve cutter handy.

Thanks that makes it a bit clearer.

That looks quite a lot to shave off with the valve cutter method. What kind of lift @TDC where you using and valve piston clearance?

eeyore

Sandy did those with an end cutter on the mill. I think that one allowed about 3.5mm plus clearance safely at TDC.

Sign in to follow this