• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gerlewislewis

Removing And Fitting New Trim

gerlewislewis

I have finally sourced a whole set of trim for the pug (apart from a front red strip just yet) and am hoping to fit it within the next fornight.

Basically I need some advice from those who have been through this before.

If you can answer these for starters I will be much obliged:

1. Where is it best to start?

2. Can I do some bits without removing the lot, so I can use if for work the next day as I will be doing it in the evenings

3. Do I need to remove the front and rear valance to get the bumpers off?

4. If I snap/shear any bolts can I just get bolts from my local hardwear store, or are 'special ones' needed?

5. Any tips?

6. Anyone wanna give me a hand - who has done this before?!

Big G

chrisj21

Well cant answer all the above but:-

1: i would say the easiest is the door mouldings but be aware you may need replacment clips as they tend to rust.

2:You have to remove the front and i think rear arches to remove the bumpers.

3:i think but not 100% that you do need to remove the front and rear valances.

I'd say removing the bumpers will be the biggest pain so plan a whole day if you can to do it. proberly worth buying some new bumper bolts from pug before you start.

May also be worth odering a trim fitting kit aswell incase any other clips break.

hope this helps abit

Chris

toddydal

the body trim are held on with clips,remove the red inserts and slide the small black clips to the left or right and then lift the trim upwards,the wheel arch trims just prise the off carefully with a trim remover or srew driver but becarefull,the bumbers and the valence come off as one complete piece but seperate them when you get them off,ther not to bad to do,but youl probly snap the bumber bolts so buy new,you can get away with 13mm bolts if you grind it down abit as the red insert will cover them

Edited by toddydal

gerlewislewis

cheers.

so the wheel arches just pull down?

Ger

welshpug

no outwards, check which type of clip they have on them, if its the barbed ones just pull, if its the metal clips on the back prise them off then pull outwards.

the leading/trailing ends by the bumpers will have metal clips on them too, the doors can go on whenever, ideally the wings and 1/4 panels need to go on after the bumpers.

there is a kit of fasteners for the bumpers and side trim available, I think someone posted the part number in the peugeot part numbers thread not too long ago :lol:

gerlewislewis

annoyingly I had a kit of fasteners in my old bedroom for 4 years, then binned it 6 months ago.

Such is life!

toddydal

ive got 4 short bumber bolts and 2 long ones you can have ,i found them at work the other day when i was ratching about for some clips

feb

I think you can 'feel' the wheel arch clips if you put your hand inside the wheel arch on the back of the trim so you can push them from inside instead of pulling them? (if that makes sense). Not 100% sure on that though.

Easiest is door mouldings as said, I had the drivers one replaced by a bodyshop when I got the car (as the paint was cracked) so the fixings on that side should not be rusted. Remove the chrome strip first and then you will see the fixings, not sure which way to move it to unsecure it though.

Edited by feb

Coonper

I siliconed all my trim back on. Worked a treat.:P

gerlewislewis

even the front and rear bumpers with the weight they have to take (the valance)?

Sign in to follow this