• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamVester

This Goes? Mi16 Hose Problem.

AdamVester

ok looked at a hose diagram and it says this joins ware another one goes or below or above cant make it out. does anyone have a picture ware this hose connects to as i think its the cause of my oil cap going creamy.

below are 2 pictures of the pipe i suspect is causing problems i cant see ware else it could go?

SMALLER IMAGE

engineprob2.jpg

LARGE IMAGE!!!!

http://www.another-site.net/adam/stuff/Engineprob.jpg

if possible could someone take a picture of both ends or create a pic like i did above? thanks loads this will be a really really massive help.

Guest MattyC

i may be missing something here but the hose in the top right of the pic (off the expantion tank) goes to the top left of the radiator, not where you have it drawn on.

All Praise The GTI

AFAIK the top left expansion tank hose goes to the top left of rad. not sure where that one goes on an mi

AdamVester

my left or the cars left? the one that has a red ring around it on the top left side of the rad? the other one on the other side is on there atm.

the bottom hose form the tank goes to the back of the block

the right hose from the tank is going ware the red goes

the left hose from the tank is going to the left side of the RAD (on the top)

the pipe next to the throttle (the one below the one with red ring around it) i think is the return thats going to the connection just below the dizzy (got blue wrighting on it)

the hose on the thermostate case (used to go to water oil cooler is now blocked off)

the hose on the side of the thermostate hosing is going to the bottom connector going into the car (the one below the one with the bleed valve)

the hose with the bleed valve (comming out or body work) is going to bottom of the block

all the others i no are correct.

C_W

I've bypassed the throttle body so I think that pipe goes to a connection near the thermostat on mine (but would originally have gone to the throttle body, then a short pipe to the thermostat).

AdamVester

quick update here is another picture might help:

100_0209.JPG

as you see red one is water going out from the tank and the orange one next to it (to the side) i think is the return?

could i shuv the red one the water going out into the return one above the thermostate? then get rid of the return pipe and block the ones off on the TB? or would this cause cooling problems?

Edited by AdamVester

Guest MattyC

wow pipes everywhere, getting confused :mellow:

i have the old type tank so im just trying to picture it, i was talking before about standing infront of the car as the pic is taken,

Where do the ones from your heater matrix travel to? they should go gown to the block by the lower engine mount.

The bottom rad hose comes round to join these?

Guest MattyC

on mine the light blue and the dark green lines are different. The yellow pipe is also connected to the other side of the tank. (i doubt that would make much difference though)

AdamVester

well the heater matrix ones go to bottom of the block next to the mount. not sure what order all 3 are in but i leave that is correct. the ones ones i am really unsure of are the red and orange as i seen many mi16 pictures with these connections blocked off but i cant see ware they put the hose's to instead :S.

Baz

16coolantnow1.gif

Do it like that, only you don't need to run the 3rd (right on pic) one from the dist. block on the back of the engine really, especially if you're running the 8v dist. block, then just block off the exit from the thermostat housing. :mellow:

Guest MattyC

with reference to your first post of a creamy oil cap, how longs it been doing it?

i think they all do it a little but its obviously water in the oil thats causing it, could the head gasket be on the way out?

AdamVester

it was doing it befor so i changed the headgasket its been 24 miles on new gasket and its still doing it :S i figured its got to be something to do with my plumming as i wasnt sure ware that pipe went. there is no oil on dipstick. what leads me to think there none in sump right? only 1 other place it can be comming from the inlet side or things correct?

would a faulty inlet gasket do this as that wasnt changed? all the pipes are creamed up now from the oil filter to the ones going into the inlet.

Baz

All you'll get from a faulty inlet gasket is an air leak. Are you losing coolant?

AdamVester

sorry for this dump question but can i put this pipe (in RED) onto ware the Green one is going and ware the grren one connected from and the red one connected to just block off all together?

100_0255.JPG

or will this cause overheating issues?

that diagram was the one i went off but u got 2 pipes going to the same place?

does not apear i am loosing collent no. but there is water actually spitting up at me from oil filler cap. the block and head looked perfect once i took the head off it. the gasket was put on correct and i used new bolts tightend up right in the correct order aswell. the engine was stood for 3 years and started once since i had it and i used old pipes. i ran it with 1 year old oil or maybe older for a week befor changing the head gasket so the pipes would have got water on them from the evaporating vapor from sump due to being stood so long. but after 2 weeks shurly it wouldnt be spitting water at me?

Edited by AdamVester

welshpug

yes should be no problem at all to route it that way, just like Baz's diagram shows.

did you dump the oil after changing the headgasket?

AdamVester

yes oil was changed and so was the filer. i dont get how baz's diagram works though? do u mean the way i just said above about blocking them 2 connections off and routing it directly to ware the return goes? on baz's diagram the pipe from the tank goes into the same place another pipe goes?

Edited by AdamVester

Baz

Yes, as said, where the green one goes to, put the red straight in there at the thermostat housing, & basically the 2 that come off the throttle body aren't needed at all, you can just leave them to air, they don't even need to be blocked. :mellow:

Edited by Baz

AdamVester

ah sweet thank you so much if u wernt a man id kiss yeah on the lips :mellow: lol.... that damn water pipe has been peeing me off since i put the engine in im sure that this problem has something to do with that and dirty old pipes. the other think i thought of that could cause it was be a crack in the block someware like a really really small one that would open when engine gets hot to let small amounts of water escape.. but the block looked so clean thats got to be a 1 in a million chance the mi16 inside looks like its only coverd 20k and the head and bottom end looked like they just been skimmed a few days ago befor i put the gasket on. engine starts and doesnt smoke when cold or hot iver.

James_m

I *think* the mayo is very common and probably nothing to worry about. Certainly mine is quite bad for it.

jonnie205

how you have it is right

nick

They do the mayo thing at this time of year because of the remote filler. The plastic remote filler will never get hot enough to burn of the moisture (condensation)

Nick

AdamVester

well my other gti with a 1.9 engine had mayo this time of a year aswell just didnt spit water up. it was the water spitting that was worrying me it wasnt much but it was getting me worried i think the best bet is clear all the pipes out when i get a day off and do some further inspecting.

cheers all.

Sign in to follow this