• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Foltan

Replacing The Gearbox

Foltan

Hi, ive got a 1.4 GTX and have just put on a new gearbox as the old one was getting clunky and worn out. I have nearly finished the job, the first time i've done anything of this sort, and have got a couple of problems :)

Firstly, im not too sure about the box lining up correctly, and the bolts being the right ones! :S The flywheel cover doesn't really seem to fit in the way it used to on the old box and if i try and put it in place it touches the flywheel itself.

Also, when i started putting oil in it leaks from where the driver's side driveshaft enters the 'box. If i push the rubber seal up really tight it seems to stem the flow but i wasn't really sure if that was correct because i expected it to be oil-tight anyway.

I can't remember exactly what car the replacement 'box came off as i got it a while ago from a friend, and because i got stuck taking off a hubnut the job has taken me a long time so my dad has dumped the old box now!! :S

However, the gearbox does seem to select gears perfectly ok so it seems that it would be the correct gearbox.

So basically, are there different types of MA boxes for the TU? Have i got the wrong one? Have i got serious problems? and where do i go from here?!

please help me, i want to drive my car :(

M@tt

when you say flywheel cover do you mean the actaul box itself or the cover for the clutch, or the inspection plate?? can you take any pics of the problem areas (pics paint a thousand words)

Not sure on the differnet gearboxes 100% tbh but think as long as its a MA box the bolt holes will all be the same and line up Might be worth texting your mate and find out exactly what the box came off to be on the safe side.

sounds like the driveshaft oil seals are screwed on the new box, these can be damaged by the driveshaft end splines when taking the shafts out or putting them in and care must be taken not to damage the lip other wise they will leak like you said. They're cheap from somewhere like GSF or your local motor factors. Aalso check that the shaft surface where it meets the seal is clean and smooth, any rough bits could damage the seal and cause it to leak or also any pitting on the shaft itself.

Edited by M@tt

Foltan

Ah yeah ok ill try and take some pictures tonight.

I mean the separate thin little plate that attaches on the bottom of the box and covers up the exposed bottom side of the flywheel. Theres a chance this may have meant to have been put in at the same time as the box was bolted on, im not sure really. photos will help explain i expect.

as for the oil leak, i take it that it's not normal for a driveshaft outlet to leak then? I presumed as much. i'll look closer at that seal then, though i'll have to go through the hassle of getting the driveshaft bearing out again i guess :)

M@tt

ah ok

i'd check that the gearbox to engine block is definitely mated up correctly all the way round ie check there aren't any gaps anywhere which would indicate the box isn't attached properly.

Is the inspection plate off the old or new gearbox?, you could find there might be slight variations between models therfore its catching ever so slightly. perhaps if it was off an engine with a smaller flywheel(not sure if there are differnet sizes tbh)

Yeah its a driveshaft out job i'm afriad

Atari Boy

I have a couple of flywheel cover plates if it helps; they do vary in size btw, but go on after the gearbox is fitted to the engine.

Foltan

Ah yes i got the impression that i may need a slightly different cover, it is the one from the original box, not the new one which didn't have one with it. It's almost the right shape but not quite.

How do i go about changing the seal on the gearbox? other than just attacking it?

Jrod

Not got a later box off a saxo etc?

They have bigger pins in the diff apparently so you have to sit the seal slightly further out than normal.

Foltan

well its from a simple unmodded 205 so i doubt its from a saxo originally. but i don't really know what your second sentence means :)

Foltan

Ok ive got some pictures which may help to clarify, though they're not that clear :)

First things first, this is the cover that i'm trying to put on

post-7434-1208188488_thumb.jpg

and this is roughly where it goes

post-7434-1208188502_thumb.jpg

something like this

notice a hole in the top right corner of the cover lines up with a hole in the box, though the marks on the cover imply that the hole slightly lower down were used previously :)

post-7434-1208188523_thumb.jpg

the other holes lines up at the back and with the mount on the exhaust, though there's alot of gappage so it would never fit tightly

post-7434-1208188512_thumb.jpg

however i've never really bolted this cover in becuase whenever you try and put it flush with the gearbox it fouls on the flywheel, as if the bell housing needs to be 1cm longer towards the car :(

im a bit lost

Foltan

oh and these are the bolts 'left over' :)

sorry to seem a bit unprofessional!

post-7434-1208188745_thumb.jpg

though i think there is probably meant to be a nut with the half threaded bolt

Foltan

and finally, the leaking seal, you can see the oil dripping from the rubber cover. if this is pushed up tight then it stems the flow but pull it back and it pours pretty fast :(

post-7434-1208188872_thumb.jpg

what do i do?! :)

christopher

I take it you have an iron block?

Since mine doesn't have a gearbox cover.

Your gearbox seals are almost definately leaking. The rubber part is just a dust cover I think. Not sure you even need to use it actually. In any case you should replace both sides. These are the part numbers:

They are fairly easy to change but you need to pull the driveshafts out again I'm afraid and drive the new seals in with a drift. Just prise the new seals out with a screwdriver (carefully). AS mentioned make sure everything is nice and clean when you put everything back together.

The bolt on the right BTW are the ones at the top attaching just under the head..

Edited by christopher

welshpug

quick tip, make sure the intermediate bearing housing is spotless, I had quite a bit of difficulty getting a driveshaft to seat properly a few weeks ago purely down to a tiny layer of rust in the housing (no amount of swearing banging or tightening the 2 L bolts made any difference)

a few minutes with some emery paper and WD40 sorted it out and the bearing slid straight in against the shoulder and stopped the same leak you have.

Foltan

yeah a friend suggested to me that the driveshaft may just not be in completely. the bearing was a complete mission to get into the housing, tonnes of bashing, so theres a good chance its not in completely. I've got to take it out anyway i guess so i'll give that a try first and if that fails then i'll get new seals. can't be much harm in doing them i guess as they aren't too expensive.

cheers for the part numbers chris :mellow:

Sign in to follow this