• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craig f90

2.0 Turbo Smoking And Lossed Urgencey.

craig f90

After having noticed that my 2.0t was smoking, the first thing i thought (as did a few friends) valve stem oil seals were shot. But it smokes when its up to temprature. then i noticed mayo in the oil filler and breathers, which made me think thats why it could be smoking, so i took it to my mechanic mates who have done a compression test and block test, checked emissions all's good. Then he took it on road test he said it's not boosting like it did. i didnt notice as ive not driven it hard all week. Ive checked all of the pipes for leaks, but no joy.

Would anyone anyone like to confirm my worst fear? Dead turbo :blush: .

whizzer71

Yeah Ill go along with that,time to ditch the std unit get a TT manifold and a mansized turbo along with DKZ cam decent management large injectors etc and unleash the full potential of the beast !

If you need any help Pm me

Look at it as a blessing in disguise :o

:blush:

danpug

Dosen't sound too good at all. If you can afford it do the above and have yourself a monster.

Henry Yorke

Mayo could be just the weather at the moment, however blue smoke could be turbo seals. The problem with a bigger turbo is you tend to need new management too :blush:

craig f90
Yeah Ill go along with that,time to ditch the std unit get a TT manifold and a mansized turbo along with DKZ cam decent management large injectors etc and unleash the full potential of the beast !

If you need any help Pm me

Look at it as a blessing in disguise :D

;)

:lol: Whizzer71, danpug that would be really Ace!!! At the moment im a bit unsure what to do? i'd be happy as .... with more power, but saving for a house/flat has to come first apparently. :blush: I'd imagine it would cost a couple of grand to get it done though, which im not to fussed to spend on my baby B) But a standard turbo would be a few hundred pounds? (i hope :o ) But whizzer71, i may take you up on the offer of Pm'ing you.

henry, thats what i was thinking. The air seems to have alot of moisture at the moment. Ive been reading a few bits and pieces on turbo seals failing causing large amounts of smoke due to oil sitting in the turbo. So it must be that :(

Thanks guys.

If any one has a very good spare turbo for sale? please Pm me.

Sorry i'll make a wanted post i think :lol:

kyepan

Take the inlet hose off the turbo and check for end float / play in the impellor shaft and oil in the turbo... there should be virtually no play, if the oil seals go, it will quickly develop play, eat oil and chuck it out the back in clouds of blue smoke.

If left, and the lubrication goes completely the impellor will either sieze or self destruct, ingesting little and not so little shards and fragments of metal into the engine.

then the world will end, skies will fall, seas boil and finally the dead will rise from the grave...

Judgment day. :mellow:

tom_m

not likely, but check you're breathers are not blocked, this will pressurise the bottom end forcing oil down the line of least resistance possibly in this case the turbo oil seals. i've seen it once before.

base-1

Do what's already been said, turbo sounds most likely culprit.

200SX drivers are a cheap source of T25 and T28 turbos :mellow:

whizzer71
Do what's already been said, turbo sounds most likely culprit.

200SX drivers are a cheap source of T25 and T28 turbos :mellow:

Anyone got a link for their site ?

:)

sonofsam
After having noticed that my 2.0t was smoking, the first thing i thought (as did a few friends) valve stem oil seals were shot. But it smokes when its up to temprature. then i noticed mayo in the oil filler and breathers, which made me think thats why it could be smoking, so i took it to my mechanic mates who have done a compression test and block test, checked emissions all's good. Then he took it on road test he said it's not boosting like it did. i didnt notice as ive not driven it hard all week. Ive checked all of the pipes for leaks, but no joy.

Would anyone anyone like to confirm my worst fear? Dead turbo :mellow: .

I get a bit of mayo mate,. I just put it down to relatively short journeys in the week to work!

What does the boost gauge read?

You could get your turbo rebuilt with stagger gap seals for around £300ish, less down time than fitting a new mani+turbo+exhaust flange+ etc etc, you get the picture!

kyepan

get a pulsar one, slightly bigger exaust housing... there will be lots of pulsar turbos going on

gtiroc.com or the other gtir worldwide modifyers club site.

tom_m
You could get your turbo rebuilt with stagger gap seals for around £300ish, less down time than fitting a new mani+turbo+exhaust flange+ etc etc, you get the picture!

plus while you're doing that it would be rude not to have an oversized compressor wheel and housing fitted :mellow:

kyepan
plus while you're doing that it would be rude not to have an oversized compressor wheel and housing fitted :mellow:

3037 :)

sonofsam
get a pulsar one, slightly bigger exaust housing... there will be lots of pulsar turbos going on

gtiroc.com or the other gtir worldwide modifyers club site.

Wich would warrant a new manifold, discharge flange/exhaust, possible re-routing boost pipes/wastegate for fitting to a 2.0T!

alot of creativity basically, wich means no 205turbo action for a while :mellow:

whizzer71
Wich would warrant a new manifold, discharge flange/exhaust, possible re-routing boost pipes/wastegate for fitting to a 2.0T!

alot of creativity basically, wich means no 205turbo action for a while :D

But SO worth the effort !,Watch the scoobys/evos VANISH in the rear veiw mirror :mellow: ,cant wait to get mine built and in there !

Speak to Headling all we did on his was fit a different cam and wound up the boost a little + fitted a diesel CWP set, Its as mad as abox of frogs ! and thats still with the std turbo,Fitting a T28 along with Emerald to my mates car soon cant wait to experience the result !,

:):):D

Edited by whizzer71

Headling

Yeah my car is mad, the cam makes a big difference, i have the boost set at 1 bar and it goes like stink! just need a quaife diff now!

BTW whizzers work is great if you want some one to do some work for you! :mellow:

whizzer71
Yeah my car is mad, the cam makes a big difference, i have the boost set at 1 bar and it goes like stink! just need a quaife diff now!

BTW whizzers work is great if you want some one to do some work for you! :(

Quaife will make ALL the difference !,Might be able to lay some power down :(

craig f90

Cheers for the list of options guys :( ive been quoted around £175 to £385 for a rebuild at midland turbos. :(

whizzer71 sounds a bit of a genius when it comes to these engines.

The 200sx uses the same t25?

I clean the breathers religiously latley, as Sam and Henry say, short journeys and cold weather equal inedible mayo.

Ill have a look at the shaft in the morning. And refit the boost gauge to check the pressure.

Kyepan you've just nearly made me fall of the chair laughing. :(

Thankyou all,

craig

sonofsam
The 200sx uses the same t25?

Unfortunately not the same flange to fit the 2.0T manifold, you would need a manifold from 205parts (ie TT mani replica)

and possibley new oil lines to suit the different threads on 200sx t25, wich are very expensive in themselves.

craig f90
No chance, its huge ! .63 COMPRESSOR !!

The only Turbo that will fit with no mods is the turbo you have :(

Urgh. Sorry Sam. worth a try. :( Im gonna have to get the old one rebuilt.

Anyway, are you well? :(

whizzer71
Unfortunately not the same flange to fit the 2.0T manifold, you would need a manifold from 205parts (ie TT mani replica)

and possibley new oil lines to suit the different threads on 200sx t25, wich are very expensive in themselves.

£15 from my local Nissan dealer,the rest you just make up from the original feed and a rather nice flexible braided hose that I use which is readily available.

As for the return pipework theres no rocket science involved in that one,Yeah granted you have to use a TT manifold and fabricate various bits of pipework etc but its all been done before !.

I recently got a 2nd hand Genuine TT manifold (Mint with no cracks) and re-built 300ZX T25 garrett with 360 bearings for £220,so again no real expense it had the wrong exhaust housing on it but picked up a knackered 200sx turbo for the measly sum of £50 along with manifold (which Im gonna sell) and robbed the exhaust housing from that,all the parts are out there a plentifull on various sites,Management is the most expensive part but again fairly priced 2nd hand and plenty available.

After we have sorted the T28 fitment to My mates car along with emerald etc Ill post some graphs before and after,proof of the pudding is in the eating after all.

One other thing when using the TT manifold with a T25/8 theres so much more clearance down the back due to tha fact it positions the turbo more centrally so hence you dont even need to extend the bottom mount !.

The worst thing about doing these turbo conversions is the mounting of the intercooler/rad but i would have guessed that you've already overcome this as your engine is already fitted and was running nicely

:(

bales

T28 off a 200sx wont clear the master cylinder unfortunately with a TT manifold.

Unless you stick with the standard turbo there are no options which are particularly cheap/quick to do, trust me I know as I have looked down all the routes.

To be completlely honest though I am more than happy with the performance of my standard T25 at 1 bar, its quick enough for me and without a good diff I doubt you will be able to get anymore power down in the first three gears...

whizzer71
T28 off a 200sx wont clear the master cylinder unfortunately with a TT manifold.

Unless you stick with the standard turbo there are no options which are particularly cheap/quick to do, trust me I know as I have looked down all the routes.

To be completlely honest though I am more than happy with the performance of my standard T25 at 1 bar, its quick enough for me and without a good diff I doubt you will be able to get anymore power down in the first three gears...

A T28 just about clears with a Diesel/Xs servo,yep the other options can be pricey but are very worth while & even a quaife in a hybrid box struggles on dry tarmac with sticky tyres,but it really is SO much fun !

Edited by whizzer71

Sign in to follow this