• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Home Made Mi16 Throttle Body Manifold

M_R_205

Being on a very tight budget i was thinking of ways to save some pennise on my mi16 build, and when i saw a longman.jenvey inlet go for £180 i though it was a painful amount for basicaly a lump of cast aluminium!

So i orderd some 6mm alloy plate, (100m x 400mm) and choped my standard manifold down (probably a little to short but what the hell!)

Did a quick half hour drilling and hacksawing and.....

IMG_1603.jpg

Can anyone see where im going with this??? it looks a bit roungh at the moment but tomorrow at work il finnish the 2 plates off, take the manifold to my local engine place see if they will make my 4 cuts nice and level (hopefuly for the price of some biccies and a cuppa :P ) and then give it to a mate to weld up :D

(and please no tidy your desk comments its on the `to do` list!! :P:D )

Edited by M_R_205

205toby

Good stuff! Have to let us know how it works. What sort of engine management are you planning on running with those?

Cheers,

Toby

petert

Mine is made the same way. You have to be careful with the angle however, or the bonnet won't shut. I suggest a few tacks with the tig, check with air cleaner(s), then fully weld when you're happy the lid will shut.

That one works ok, but I have another on the way, which uses tapered tube to blend more gradually from 45mm down to 40-41mm, before the DCOE flanges. The transition needs to be gradual or else flow becomes turbulent.

DrSarty

I like your style Paul. Whose is the mug on the left?

:P

M_R_205
Mine is made the same way. You have to be careful with the angle however, or the bonnet won't shut. I suggest a few tacks with the tig, check with air cleaner(s), then fully weld when you're happy the lid will shut.

That one works ok, but I have another on the way, which uses tapered tube to blend more gradually from 45mm down to 40-41mm, before the DCOE flanges. The transition needs to be gradual or else flow becomes turbulent.

I think im gong to have to angle the two faces at about 40-45 degres so that the bodies point downwards slightly, Iv just noticed thismorning that the DCOE flange dosnt match the mani quite right so im going to have to get my pall to fill the edges out with weld and do a bit more griding, the std manifold is only around 40mm too so i was going to open the whole thing up up as much as i could :D

I like your style Paul. Whose is the mug on the left?

MY MUG lol :P

VisaGTi16v

Have you been using a drill then a hacksaw to cut out the 4 large holes lol? Have you not heard of hole saws!!! :P

M_R_205
Have you been using a drill then a hacksaw to cut out the 4 large holes lol? Have you not heard of hole saws!!! :D

Unfortunatley so, i find the hole saws painfully in-accurate and my lathe is buggerd :P although im using a mi16 drive shaft to fix it lol!

Iv made the hole about 42-43mm so i can tidy it up when my late is fixed :P or just use a flap wheel when its all welded up

Tom Fenton
Have you been using a drill then a hacksaw to cut out the 4 large holes lol? Have you not heard of hole saws!!! :P

I must admit I thought the same thing!

Stu

Good work fella, what bodies are those?

M_R_205

Well i didnt get a chance to get the manifold `made level` but my mate recons he can fill the little gaps with weld any way i finnished off the holes with a file while at workbut as i said above they dont match the manifold perfectly so il have to gind a bit out,

Stu_Da_Rude, there puma racing bodies :blush:

heres a couple pics showing what i mean...

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

Im off ot amsterdam tomorrow so i wont be able to do any more to them till i get back on wednesday, but hopefully they will be all nicly welded up and wont need much more work done :o

Paul

Edited by M_R_205

base-1

The Puma linkage is pretty complicated, make sure the bodie flanges on the manifold are perfectly flat with each other so the bodies sit at the same angle!

Rippthrough

Could have milled you those cheap if you'd mentioned it :blush:

M_R_205

at last an update on this, picked the manifold upp from my mates thi moringing and hes done a sterling (and free :D ) job of welding them up, loads of filler as i asked so theres plenty of metel for me to play with :lol:

Heres the manifold before any grinding..

DSCN1872.jpg

DSCN1873.jpg

And the injector holes ave been filled

DSCN1874.jpg

A little work with a file and flap wheel

DSCN1875.jpg

DSCN1876.jpg

Should finnish the grinding tomorrow, i need to take more metal out between the to tract and open them out a little more.

A couple pics looking down the throttle bodies...

DSCN1877.jpg

DSCN1878.jpg

Sign in to follow this