• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Coonper

Dimma Wheels

GLPoomobile

I think you are going about it totally the wrong way if it's handling you are concerned with :lol:

Coonper
I think you are going about it totally the wrong way if it's handling you are concerned with :lol:

Do you not think it will handle well with these on mate??

Batfink

it will grip well but thats only one small aspect of handling. Ideally for a fwd car you want more grip on the front though i would have thought.

I've been recommended to fit 8x15 on the front and 7x15 on the rear to my racecar but i dont know if thats the best way, or whether a more uniform setup is ideal.

brianthemagical

Depends what your after. Bigger wheels give higher rotating mass and higher unsprung mass.

The traction circle dictates that if power is applied to the wheels lateral grip is reduced, so you want more grip on the driven wheels. Or you could set up the chassis with more oversteer, counteracted by the extra grip. Larger scrub radius will give decreased self centering and make the steering slightly heavier. Most motorsport specific cars, i.e sigle seaters and the like, will run on 10" or 13" wheels, with large profiles and a tyre 1" or so wider than the rim. But they suffer clearence probs that need to be rectified.

brianthemagical

Sorry, i meant the rim is wider than the tyre.

Coonper

Is that to reduce body roll due to flex of the tyre wall??

brianthemagical

No. You want the tyre to flex a little, and it's effect will have an effect on the overall suspension of the car. The idea of suspension is to allow the tyre to stay in contact with the road and to work how it should.

AdamP

Stick some 195/45s on it and be done with it.

If you're only using it on the road you should never get to the point where they're at the limit, you'll reach the limit of your underwear's poo holding capacity way before.

It's a 20yr old french hatch ffs, it isn't a precision engineered all composite single seater doing 170mph on narrow hillclimbs :lol:

Coonper
Stick some 195/45s on it and be done with it.

If you're only using it on the road you should never get to the point where they're at the limit, you'll reach the limit of your underwear's poo holding capacity way before.

It's a 20yr old french hatch ffs, it isn't a precision engineered all composite single seater doing 170mph on narrow hillclimbs :P

Haha! Love it!

Well ive bought 2 toyo proxes, which are 205/45/15. Got them both for £50 brand new, so they should be pretty good.

I will stick those on the fronts and leave the r888's on the rear.

base-1

What? If you only keep 2 R888's then you want them on the front not the back

Arahan

Aye, even more so if they're worn! New tyres on the back! Rule!

Jrod

Want more grip on the back IMO, most people can deal with understeer but if you have a big whack of oversteer its hedge time...

Coonper
What? If you only keep 2 R888's then you want them on the front not the back

Yes i know, but my rear wheels are 9J, where my frontsare only 8j so they would fit better on the front...

base-1

Pretty much the only time you'll ever have any grip at the back will be after a 2 hour motorway run in summer then :P prepare for scary random oversteer moments!

Jrod

Why not put the 9 on the front and 8 on the back?

Sign in to follow this