• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaylorsTDGTI

Trouble Starting Engine. Please Help.

TaylorsTDGTI

Hi Guys,

My UK Spec 205 Rallye has been laid up for 2 months. Went to start it (with freshly charged battery) but it will only turn over, not fire up.

Im getting 13v at battery, 12v out of coil, 12v at the distributor. No resistance through the rotor arm (Although i couldnt prove a spark at the plugs) The fuel tank is still a quarter full. Is there an easy way to prove fuel is getting to the carb, is there anything else i should be checking? Is there any common faults that the TU engine suffers from if not driven for a while?

Any solutions or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

James

swordfish210

Take the fuel pipe off of the carbs and get someone to crank it over, if fuel comes spitting out then you have fuel going to the carb. If you are convinced that fuel is going in to the carb floats then take the airfilter off so you can see down in to the carb and pump the throttle, you should be able to see fuel being squirted in to the carb. Then you just need to make sure that it is getting a good spark. It's a pretty simple ignition system so it's easy to trace the problem if there is one.

TaylorsTDGTI

An update:

Im not seeing any fuel being squirted into the carb. So im guessing a failure of the mechanical pump, or blocked needles. Could there be a more simple solution im missing? Just very strange as the car ran perfectly prior to being laid up for 2 months.

I have 2 scrap XS's which i can get pumps or carbs from (although the carbs im not sure are not the same). Is it as simple as the Haynes suggests to swap these over?

Any help or suggestions appreciated

James

johnnyboy666

you sure the fuel gauge is working properly? they have a tendancy to lie!

AdamP

XS carb is different. I'd say take the fuel line out and blow them out with a compressor as crap can settle in them pre-filter, and then spray everything in site with carb-cleaner.

Jrod

Floats sticking?

TaylorsTDGTI

Cheers Jrod and AdamP

Floats stuck, and the carb needed a good clean with cleaner. All working fine now. Your help was appreciated!

James

Sign in to follow this