• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ANDYMISIXTEEN

Mi16 Install

ANDYMISIXTEEN

I will soon be dropping a Mi16 into my Cti. The Mi16 has Piper cams and pullys, head work i am unsure of the rest of the internals. Its also on 45 Webers with longman manifold with a dizzy adaptor. I am going to use all 3 uprated engine mounts and also silicone hoses. I have a reangled manifold and a standard 1.9 8v zaust. Going to run a 1.6 gearbox. The engine and box have been reconed and the engine needs running in. It wont be used on track days.

I have a Mocal oil cooler is it worth using it or not put one on at all?

Is it worth getting a baffled sump?

kate205gti

extended oil pump and extra spacer are def worth having :lol: and baffles cant do any harm! B)

have you upgraded the wishbones already? :lol:

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Running 1.9 Gti suspension set up. New 205 wishbones about 4 months ago, did want to go 309 set up but cant afford it atm.

By the way im on a budget now :lol:.

ANDYMISIXTEEN

How much will the oil cooler benefit me then?

How necessary is the sump baffle?

Baz

When it gets a bit warmer and if running on track the oil cooler may benefit you a little, but not until then, no point in it being there.

For a road car i'd rather a water/oil heat exchanger, nicely helping to get up to running temp quicker.

returnofjim
When it gets a bit warmer and if running on track the oil cooler may benefit you a little, but not until then, no point in it being there.

For a road car i'd rather a water/oil heat exchanger, nicely helping to get up to running temp quicker.

I agree, on the road especially in this horrible weather were having, an oil cooler will just over cool your oil and it will take ages to warmed up properly.

MiamiGus

Oil coolers are fine as long as the size is correct for the application. Most 205 oil coolers are very neat small items which will reduce some oil heat but are not that efficient. If for example you were running a big power turbo car i'd say it would benifit you greatly to run a large oil cooler as engine temps can go very high.

It's really down to the application, but I always think that if Peugeot thought it needed one it should have one.

Is your cooler the same size as a 1.9 job or larger in surface area??

ANDYMISIXTEEN
extended oil pump and extra spacer are def worth having <_< and baffles cant do any harm! B)

have you upgraded the wishbones already? B)

Is this the Xu10 setup? Do i just need a xu10 sump and oil pick up or do i need to change more?

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Whats a good sump set up to run then? Gti6 on its own? Gti6 sump and sump spacer? Constella sump baffle kit?

Rom

For the road, i dont run an oil cooler. I have to rant it hard to get the gauge to about half way. Normally sits around a quater iirc.

Thats just with standard 8v sump and spacer.

I believe some of the best sump setups will use an extra spacer, windage trays, extended pickups, baffles. The full monty. Though i dont think the windage trays can be used on XU9 without mods ?

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Im thinking to get an Xu10 sump, spacer and an extended oil pick up. Is anyone else running this set up? Dont wanna put an engine in thats going to cause me problems :) doing my head in now lol

Waiting to sort this out then my engine can go in and i can get on with it :)

RonnieG

Just finished fitting a Gti6 sump to my Mi16 at the weekend.

Not quite as easy as I first thought - Some learners for me - When buying the sump ( I bought mine for £40 delivered from the Gti6 Forum) make sure you also get the Oil Temp Sender, it's a different thread. Also make sure you get all the sump bolts as they are different lengths from the Mi16, a very rare M7 thread and very expensive from Peugeot. The Sump locating dowel needs enlarged - No problem M8 drill I think. The oil pump spacer is not that cheap & awkward to make or approx £45 delivered from PeterT on here & you still need to weld it on to the pump or approx £55 exchange welded on again by PeterT. I also made the Oil pump baffle out of plate - If you go as far as this I could Fax you the Template....

Had the mechanical Oil Pressure guage reading nearly zero on some bends during track days last Sept so this engine wasn't going to last long if I didn't sort the surge issues. Next trackday at Knockhill a week today so looking forward to seeing how it goes - It better be sorted !!!!

Depends a bit on what your using the car for - If it's only road use I'd be tempted just to fit a mechanical oil pressure guage and see if the pressure drops much.

On the road I think some engines are much more resistant to surge than others for whatever reason.

Im thinking to get an Xu10 sump, spacer and an extended oil pick up. Is anyone else running this set up? Dont wanna put an engine in thats going to cause me problems :) doing my head in now lol

Waiting to sort this out then my engine can go in and i can get on with it :)

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Do you have any pix? Did you fit the extended pic up to the pump or just the baffle?

Its hard to know how far to go. I need to get the car on the road asap and my budget is getting smaller :(

Im not going to be able to afford a rebuild if this one goes bang for quite a while :(

Rom

Did you keep the spacer when you fitted the GTI 6 sump ?

Whats different about the bolts ? Im trying to find a GTI 6 sump at the mo, and was going to keep the spacer, and at some point get the extended pickup. But mines only a road car.

Can the spacer be kept ? Or will the sump be too low. If it can be kept, surely the bolts im using now will be fine ? As the thread will be the same (in the block)

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Thinking about running a seperate guage now and welding in a baffle into my tin sump. If had a search but cant find a how to guide on how to make and where to fit the baffle. Any help?? :(

philfingers

I'm in the middle of the same thing with an Mi16 for road rallying.

I'm using a PeterT extended Mi16 pump with GTi6 spring (£1.30 odd!). GTi6 sump, 26T toothed wheel which sits on the crank and drives the oil pump quicker via the 52 link chain (GTi6 too). I've made some brackets to mount the GTi6 chain guard to the Mi16 pump (couldnt get the GTi6 pump, it was shattered when a rod let go in the engine). I'm fitting the GTi6 windage tray (£9 from a dealer new) by welding M6 (female) threaded bosses onto the mains bolts. Yet to do the last bit but have allowed to space it out using washers to get the distance right, to clear the rotating crank. Will all be lockwired when done. I will also be using the spacer but will probably end up cutting the webs out. PeterT reckons it adds about 8mm to a std Mi16 setup.

Only thing i'm not sure about at the mo is the oil pump baffle isn't easy to see when its all together how effective it will be in the GTi6 sump. I may fit another baffle in the sump and fit a trap door. Also the std trap door in the GTi6 sump isn't great. I may extend it to the bottom of the sump. there's a 3-4mm gap at the mo.

I used www.taylor-eng.com for my inspiration.

You can buy the spacer from Peter and bolt it through instead of welding, although welding is better. His website is very good.

Cost wise:-

Uprated spring and windage tray £10.73 (all new)

GTi6 sump, crank pully, 52link chain, chain guard £20

Extended Mi16 pump £30

and about 20 hrs of arsing about to make it all go together!

Ronnie, I'd be interested in seeing your oil pump baffle. Mine was fitted to the pump BUT I'm not sure if it's the correct one

Phil

philfingers

Rom, the bolts are ok youre right BUt the GTI6 has a couple where they sit into countersunk holes so you'll need Cap head bolts for these, there only two I think. Other than that the std Mi16 bolts should work I think. yet to fit my sump with all the bolts properly tho

craig f90

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here here!! Sonosam converted me, Bakes 100s doing it to his GTI6d 205. very good idea for a road car.

RonnieG

I kept the 'pattern/template' that we used to cut the plate too to suit the Mi16 oil pump baffle sitting in the Gti6 sump.

If anyone has access to a fax & wants a copy of this then PM me & I will try & fax you a copy. Very easy mod and well worth doing while your at it I say. Do you have access to a fax Phil ?

Given the perceived 'extra strengthening' I would always use the spacer/strenghening plate - Peugeot didn't put it there for nothing & our cars aren't being built to be driven lightly !!

The Mi16 & Gti6 sump bolts are different & a real pain! In some holes the Gti6 alloy sump is a slightly narrower guage at the bolt holes which means that when you tighten the bolts up they hit the end of the avilable thread in the block before tightening fully so if you keep going you slighly risk cracking the block or at very least breaking off the captive end of the thread or damaging the thread itself. On others the thread is clear at the top so your ok to protude through. On others the Mi16 bolts are slightly short and as the torque your looking for to seal the sump is 10-12 lb/ft these threads can 'round & give way' in the soft alloy block before you reach the required torque. On the 2 countersunk bolts at the front that I think locate the Gti6 air con you need bolts approx 65-70mm long (Not incuding the bolt head) & the longest of the Mi16 ones is 55mm (Again not including the head) I googled these but M7 bolts are rare as & I ended up modifying 2 Vespa PX scooter crankcase bolts here which were 75mm long & I used some spacers!!!

Sorry guys I didn't take any pix during the build...... It was time consuming enough as it was !?!?

For me definitely a good mod & glad I did it - Just wish in hindsight I'd sourced a Gti6 sump with all its original sump bolts....

ANDYMISIXTEEN - I fitted both the extended pickup AND a separate oil pump baffle plate to my std Mi16 oil pump.

philfingers

I really don't think it's possible to be able to keep the spacer webs and have the windage tray fitted via the mains bolts. The only way I can see you doing this is to use the PeterT spacer webs that he sells and weld them in. The Gti6 sump is cast and infinetly stiffer anyway than the 8v pressed steel pan. I'm not unduly concerned about cutting the webs out. But if you want to ber sure buy Peter's webs. I didn't want to wait. It is the best option tho.

I have all the Gti6 fasteners for the sump, as yet not been able to fit it so don't know what else I will need

PM you Ronnie with my fax number

Phil

ANDYMISIXTEEN

What sort of oil pressure gauge do i want? Electric/Mechanical? Do i need to get a fitting kit aswell?

Sign in to follow this