• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupes

Fuel Pipes Tu To Xu

Rupes

I'm nearly ready to start my engine change project but when I swap engines (TU to XU with injection) what do I need to do with the fuel pipes, the injected engines use a return feed (not sure if TU's do or not), do I need to add a return pipe; change all the fuel pipes; or just change the rubber end bits to items that will take the increased pressure? I don't want to change anything for the sake of it, bare minimum of work all the way.

swordfish210

Just get a GTI tank and pipes, much easier

Rupes

Thanks swordfish210, I've got a GTI tank; fuel level sender and fuel pump already, but it's the pipes that I don't know enough about, do I need to replace the TU pipes with new stuff, or can I plug the GTI pump into a new rubber hose, that onto the (I assume metal) under car hose; that on to another rubber hose in the engine bay, and then the same for the return feed all the way back, or must I bung in a new pipe(s)?

M_R_205

You will need to replace the pipes as they are under a much higher presure than the TU ones were

Rupes

Didn't think of service box. very useful sorrentopete.

OK, I've had a look, it seems like most models have a return pipe, just not sure which one mine is (and I'm not driving it today to check). It's a 1.4 UK Rallye, I guess the easy answer is to have a look (underneath the coating of oil) next time I'm near the car.

M_R_205

Only the injection TU`s had a return pipe, not the carb`d ones,

Rupes

B"gger! Better get some long lengths of pipe then! - that's another expense I hadn't budgeted for. Bloke down the road has just quoted me £1/ft, he reckons internally braided hoses are better than externally braided ones, I didn't even know you could get internally braided hose!!!

Thanks for the info M R 205.

jerseypug
B"gger! Better get some long lengths of pipe then! - that's another expense I hadn't budgeted for. Bloke down the road has just quoted me £1/ft, he reckons internally braided hoses are better than externally braided ones, I didn't even know you could get internally braided hose!!!

Thanks for the info M R 205.

i used 8mm copper brake pipe on mine, cant remember how much it was or if copper is ok to use. make sure you use the high pressure pipe. my pipe rusted through and i lost 3/4 a tank of fuel in about a mile. amazing how much pressure it is under and how far it will squirt.

Jrod
Only the injection TU`s had a return pipe, not the carb`d ones,

'fraid thats wrong, seen quite a few 1.1s with them and my rallye also has one.

AdamP
'fraid thats wrong, seen quite a few 1.1s with them and my rallye also has one.

Does it depend what carb's fitted? Neither my RG nor XS have return pipes!

Jrod

Depends on the year I think, later ones had little swirl pots which have the return off them.

Works a little like this from memory.

post-8046-1207349608_thumb.jpg

AdamP

Fuel vapour seperator?

Thinking about it... my Pierburg carbed Polo has one of those with a return feed.

Jrod

I just assumed it was a swirl pot so the carb didnt starve of fuel. :blush:

Sam

Jrod is right. The rallye had that tiny little tank. I also fitted GTI lines to Jrods rallye when I had it. Just buy the clips from peugeot and they are really easy to fit.

Sandy

You can't use the GTi pipes easily on the TU models, because the offside rear brake pipe's in the way. Running copper pipes along the passenger side is dead easy and use a 106 GTi fuel filter, mounted in the engine bay (compact design and having it after the copper pipes, means any potential copper decay gets caught).

M_R_205

Ahh my apologies, all the ones iv seen just had a feed and a cam driven pump, though iv not seen anything newer than 92-93 i dont think...

Paul

Jrod

The above is cam driven, 1992+ I think.

Sign in to follow this