• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Elad

Adjusting The Valves

Elad

Hi,

I’m writing to you in order to settle an argument to which we need an expert’s opinion…

I found that by adjusting the inlet valves (TU3 Saxo engine) to 0.18mm spacing (instead of 0.2mm as specified in Haynes),

And by adjusting the exhaust valves to 0.35mm (instead of 0.4mm as specified in Haynes),

You get a much quieter engine,

Is there any problem with that?

Someone on a forum says that this burns the valves due to the stem getting longer and therefore not sealing properly,

Has he got a point?

Best regards,

Elad.

Anthony

If you make the tolerances too small then yes, it will likely result in burnt valves - however, I doubt that 10% reduction in clearance will be enough to cause that.

Sandy

0.15mm and 0.25mm are the specified minimum clearances. The valves are unlikely to "grow" as much as 0.1mm inlet and 0.2mm exhaust when hot.

AdamP

Mine's tappety as hell at the moment (just got it started for the first time in 8 months), will be checking the clearances asap :(

Sign in to follow this