• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Cti And Gti Carpets

smokey

Hiya guys

Whilst having quite a boring day at work i went through loads of old post from 2006...Sad i know!!

Anyway whilst doing it i saw a post about the CTI carpets and that a GTI carpet wont fir due to the extra reinforcing thats put in.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a GTI carpet fit and if they were successful or not.

Thanks

steve@cornwall
Hiya guys

Whilst having quite a boring day at work i went through loads of old post from 2006...Sad i know!!

Anyway whilst doing it i saw a post about the CTI carpets and that a GTI carpet wont fir due to the extra reinforcing thats put in.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a GTI carpet fit and if they were successful or not.

Thanks

CTI carpets are one piece and continue up from the wheel wells at the front right upto the dash . The GTI item is cut straight across from the sill line, so there is not enough carpet to fit :blush: (that,s why the gti has plastic trim in front of the door. I had a half-hearted try at fitting a plastic cover in the CTI, but it looked to be far too much trouble for me! the stock GTI items just don't fit. Good CTI carpets are very, very rare! ( they all seem to split in the rear well,too, apart from fading and shrinking)

smokey
CTI carpets are one piece and continue up from the wheel wells at the front right upto the dash . The GTI item is cut straight across from the sill line, so there is not enough carpet to fit :blush: (that,s why the gti has plastic trim in front of the door. I had a half-hearted try at fitting a plastic cover in the CTI, but it looked to be far too much trouble for me! the stock GTI items just don't fit. Good CTI carpets are very, very rare! ( they all seem to split in the rear well,too, apart from fading and shrinking)

Yeah this is why i've got some new carpet coming. Got hold of some nice Grey carpet, was looking forward to putting it in to make the car look different and fresh.

I'll have a look when i get it and see how much extra i need for the front. Could you use the plastic from a GTI and kind of copy what peugeot did for the GTI?

I was also wondering will the carpet fit across the car ok, or will it be too short?

PhilCTI
CTI carpets are one piece and continue up from the wheel wells at the front right upto the dash . The GTI item is cut straight across from the sill line, so there is not enough carpet to fit :) (that,s why the gti has plastic trim in front of the door. I had a half-hearted try at fitting a plastic cover in the CTI, but it looked to be far too much trouble for me! the stock GTI items just don't fit. Good CTI carpets are very, very rare! ( they all seem to split in the rear well,too, apart from fading and shrinking)

Steve,

Thanks for the info , thats why I may have an issue with my foot pedals, as mine has carpet and then the plastic covers over the top which always has stuck out too far and interferes with my foot so sometimes you hit the accelerator and the brake pedal!! It was something I was going to look at while mine is in my garage to change the engine, I know what to do now,

thanks, Phil

smokey

So Phil

Are you saying you have a GTI carpet in your CTI?

Would you be able to post a picture to show me what yours looks like?

I got my carpet on the weekend and had a go offering it up to see what you ment. I can now see what steve means, with regards to the need of a plastic cover that fits on the wheel wells at the front. Also the carpet is molded slightly different. But some work with a hot air gun should sort that.

I'm thinking of using the plastic covers to cover the exposed sections

My CTI carpet was ruined when i got my car, so i need to sort the carpet and would love to use this grey carpet. looks really nice when in the car.

PhilCTI
So Phil

Are you saying you have a GTI carpet in your CTI?

Would you be able to post a picture to show me what yours looks like?

I got my carpet on the weekend and had a go offering it up to see what you ment. I can now see what steve means, with regards to the need of a plastic cover that fits on the wheel wells at the front. Also the carpet is molded slightly different. But some work with a hot air gun should sort that.

I'm thinking of using the plastic covers to cover the exposed sections

My CTI carpet was ruined when i got my car, so i need to sort the carpet and would love to use this grey carpet. looks really nice when in the car.

Smokey,

I'll have a look tonight, I'm sure its not the original carpet, it's not been glued down and looks a bit loose like too much carpet in places and always thought that it came from a GTI as the previous owners had broken a GTI to source parts and an engine, but I did think the carpet goes up the footwells so from what Steve says that would make it a CTI carpet, I'm not sure without looking so I'll check tonight and see if I can take some pics for you,

Phil

205turbo

i have a cti carpet if you need one

smokey

Phil

I was wondering if you managed to check out the carpet?

I've got hold of some plastic sections which are on the GTI, will have a go at moulding them to fit round the extra reinforcements.

If not then think i might try and get hold of some more grey carpet and cut the extra sections needed.

steve@cornwall

Just to illustrate the front carpet...

post-7883-1208108642_thumb.jpg

GLPoomobile

If you are really desperate, you could get a custom made carpet.

Going back a year or so ago (maybe 2), there was a topic about replica GTI carpets. There was a company mentioned (not sure if I have the link anymore) who could do them for about £125. They just take your carpet as a template to make the new one. There are downsides (apart from the cost), like the fact that a replica is not moulded to shape, it's cut and stitched, so it'll never be 100% like the OE one. I think it's these type of replica carpets that Autofive used to offer (maybe they still do).

Guess it really depends how desperate you CTI owners are for replacement carpets.

PhilCTI

Sorry Smokey I got sidetracked,

It really depends on how bothered you are about it, As said mine has a gti carpet, if you ignore the fact that it doesn't quite fit exactly, I've got a carpet that is nice and clean and looks quite new, a nice red colour compared to an old faded original one. I'm not completely happy with the way the plastic footwell covers fit but that might be just how the previous owner fitted them as they stick out further than they should do and it doesn't look right,

I'll take some photo's later,

Phil

smokey
Sorry Smokey I got sidetracked,

It really depends on how bothered you are about it, As said mine has a gti carpet, if you ignore the fact that it doesn't quite fit exactly, I've got a carpet that is nice and clean and looks quite new, a nice red colour compared to an old faded original one. I'm not completely happy with the way the plastic footwell covers fit but that might be just how the previous owner fitted them as they stick out further than they should do and it doesn't look right,

I'll take some photo's later,

Phil

Thats ok fella no probs.

If you could take some pictures that would be great.

The plastic footwell covers stick out due to the reinforcing that the CTI has.

I'm hoping i can soften the plastic to re shape them, but it will be interesting to see what yours look like.

Thanks

GLPoomobile

It might sound a bit gash, and maybe it would be gash in practise, I don't know, but instead of the plastic kickwell panels why don't you trim those sections with red carpet (perhaps even cut off good sections of the old CTI carpet if you are replacing it with a GTI carpet). If you had them overlapping the main carpet slightly it might look OK.

PhilCTI

I'm sure my carpet was fitted quick just to spruce it up a bit by the previous owner before selling,

P1010128s.jpg

you can see what I mean about the plastic sticking out too far

P1010127a.jpg

the carpet running up under the seats is all baggy, I think it just needs gluing down,

needs a hoover too, but I don't know how that works!

hope that helps

Sign in to follow this