• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Carbs, Few Questions

hexhamstu

search function hasnt really found what im looking for

basically i want to stick some carbs on my 1.6, was wondering what exactly i need to remove ignition wise, and what i need to do with the fuel pump. i read the guide on the mainsite was just wondering if anyone else had any input.

also if im going for carbs should i keep going and stick a different cam in.

any input would be great. just want to get some hints and tips before i start.

rapidmi

you could prob keep the same pump and just use a pressure reg to drop the pressure down. im no carb expert tho

hexhamstu

you got any pics of your car rapid mi, the red one in your sig. does it have rallye arches on its hard to see

rapidmi

Track3.jpg

des002.jpg

theres two mate if that helps, u thinking of them?

Coonper

It might be worth running an uprated fuel pump, ie facet red top. Otherwise you can use your standard one, with 2 pressure regulators in there.

You dont have to put a new cam in, but of course you will see better gains. But i wouldnt put a really lairy cam in, otherwise it wont tick over till about 2000rpm!

I'd say definitely do the conversion, its worth it just for the sound! :)

tri_longer
search function hasnt really found what im looking for

basically i want to stick some carbs on my 1.6, was wondering what exactly i need to remove ignition wise, and what i need to do with the fuel pump. i read the guide on the mainsite was just wondering if anyone else had any input.

also if im going for carbs should i keep going and stick a different cam in.

any input would be great. just want to get some hints and tips before i start.

I'm planning on exactly the same as you, and it's not that big a task really.

You can keep the standard fuel pump, as previoulsy said you will need 2 fuel regs, one with a return to tank and the other for dropping the pressure for the crabs. Regs will cost in region of £80

You might want to consider a choke for cold start but it's not a necessity.

If you are considering the change in fuel pump to something like a facet, it was recommended to me that these are best located near to the fuel tank rather than in the engine bay, as such mounting might be an issue. I am sure i read somewhere on here that the pickup needs to be changed as well. I am running a Facet in my race car, but we also only have a 1 gallon fuel tank mounted in the boot so this works fine. Before we did the conversion, we ran the standrd fuel pump and twin regulators and this worked perfectly well with no issues, and I have no probs with running the same setup in my 1.6.

You may also want to look at lowering the radiator, there are brakets on the market for doing this, DES Developments sell them but they are expensive. On the race car I used two wall radiator brakets bolted together and then bolted to the car. It holds the rad without any issues and cost less than a tenner to make.

hexhamstu

yeah i did mean to ask about rad height, i dont mind bodging a bracket of my own.

i was going to scrap the red one, but i dont really want to, because apart from its horrible paint job and dents everywhere, its mechanically pretty sound. so i fancy making a track/fun/hill climb car.

i'll keep updated on my progress. think i'll go with the pressure regulators as seems an easier option.

Coonper
If you are considering the change in fuel pump to something like a facet, it was recommended to me that these are best located near to the fuel tank rather than in the engine bay, as such mounting might be an issue

My facet red top pump is located in the engine bay, no problems so far...

What did you think might happen? :)

tri_longer

What did you think might happen? :P

Your guess is as good as mine :) I have no idea what would happen, it was what i was advised by Merlin Motorsport. My frined has his mounted in the engine bay as well.

mfield

What did you think might happen? :)

Not alot, its just an ideal because you want to pump the fuel not suck it then pump it.

woodsy

when i did my mi conversion i used carbs.Basically removed wires for likes of injectors,throttle switch,airflow and coolant switch.I used a facet pump located where the injection filter used to be and used an inline one, never had any probs.Also blanked of the fuel return metal pipe at bulkhead s not needed with carbs and i dont use the vacum on the dizzy just blanked too.So much easier to work on too with carbs and noise is great.

base-1

If you have the coil mounted on the wing (not inlet manifold) then you can just replace the inlet with carbs, no igniton wiring necessary if I remember right. Probably same for inlet mounted coild if you relocate it but not done that myself so can't say for sure. Definitely fit a good cam, it'll sound even better and be that bit quicker, especially if you are planning to use it as a track car/weekend thrasher - it'll live above 5k rpm anyway so it may aswell make more power while it's there. Pump wise 2 regs is the easiest option by far but some people whinge it isn't right.

Doesn't really matter where you mount the pump if you change to a Facet, but by the tank is better because you don't have a load of fuel pipe joins in the engine bay - only onto the carbs. If you put 2 regs in the bay, you have 2 joins on the filter, 2 joins on one reg and three on the other. Every join is a potential leak.

boldy205

think im right in saying yuo can get pull and push type pumps, though i think the newer facet red tops are all pullers, ie, mounted in the engine bay. This is how i set mine up and all is well.

As for the wiring its only the ECU(fueling) side of things that needs disconecting. All you need to be left with is: ignition amp, coil, dizzy, and the HT end like plug leads, obviously. As for therev counter, it is ran through the ECU and as i have fitted a mappable ignition setup im not sure what to do, though sure some one here will!!

All the best with it, just keep sticking the fuel in it, and enjoy the lovley noise!!!

Matt

hexhamstu

think i'm happy with the everything. now i just need to locate my long shopping list. need to find carbs, regs, seats, cage, harnasses, rallye arches, and a new suspesnion set up, all for as cheap as possible.

boldy205

EBAY!!!!!!!!!! (if your drunk, its cheaper!!)

gerlewislewis

woodsy, (or anyone else) do you use carbs in your daily driver?

I had an mi16 with a fast road cam and twin webbers, but found it too lumpy for starting on winter mornings, and also very thirsty for the first 1mile!!!! - costing me a bomb doing 4 miles a day due to the constant cold engine.

Anyone get on well with carbs as a daily drive? if so Id be sorely tempted to get them on my gti-s

Daz_C
woodsy, (or anyone else) do you use carbs in your daily driver?

I had an mi16 with a fast road cam and twin webbers, but found it too lumpy for starting on winter mornings, and also very thirsty for the first 1mile!!!! - costing me a bomb doing 4 miles a day due to the constant cold engine.

Anyone get on well with carbs as a daily drive? if so Id be sorely tempted to get them on my gti-s

I had 45's on my Sbc 16v till recently, used every day pretty much. cold starts were a doddle. 3 pumps of the pedal, start her up, 20 seconds or so of light throttle (didn't bother connecting the chokes up) and away you go. Found them more economical than the injection system I took off but there may have been an issue with that - it ran o.k certainly not as good as with the carbs but was very heavy on the fuel.

Now got the 45's on my Sbc 8v not used everyday.......well hardly ever (trackdays and the odd potter to the shop).

Economical enough for me when traveling to and from Tracks and the shops, but definatly not economical when blasting round a track for the day. Can quite easily see off 3 tanks of fuel on an Open Pitlane Trackday, but definatly worth it for the sound :) and performance.

base-1

I ran 45s on my Mi daily driver for 2 years, just lightened the car to improve mpg! :)

Same as Daz, pedal pumps means no chokes, just go gentle for the first half mile while it clears out, never a problem even in the dead of winter. Great stuff!

gerlewislewis

You guys are temping me!

Whats motorway mpg like?

base-1

Surprisingly not that bad, although I can't give you a figure. As a very rough guide, mine used to used about 25% more fuel than my Mondeo on motorway runs to work (so about 23-25mpg at a guess?)

Don't take that very literally though, this is like 3 years ago and I never actually worked it out

Sign in to follow this