• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chadney123

Quick Help. Amp Install!

chadney123

Hi im installing my AMP now, its on the under side of the parcel shelf. Can i have the fuse that comes from the battery to the AMP on the parcel shelf aswell?

Many Thanks

205johnnyxsi
Hi im installing my AMP now, its on the under side of the parcel shelf. Can i have the fuse that comes from the battery to the AMP on the parcel shelf aswell?

Many Thanks

Yes Provideing its still conecting to the bat you will be fine

Coonper

Not really sure what your asking tbh mate...

If your asking wether the fuse can be at the end of the power cable, then yes it can.

Simes

STOP.

The main fuse for the amp (40A or similar) should be as near to the battery as possible.

The earth can be and should be close to the amp.

Edited by Simes

Nathan

What he said ^^^^^^

The fuse is there to protect a potentially dangerous live cable running through your car.

Also mounting an amp on a parcel shelf is very dangerous as in a crash you could potentally have several KG's of metal flying torwards the back of your head.

stutto

If boot is your only option, you'd be better trying something along the lines of fixing some mdf, sprayed to match carpet, to the back of the rear seat - giving a more secure way to mount. I did this in an old car using no more nails and never had any problems.

tom_m
What he said ^^^^^^

The fuse is there to protect a potentially dangerous live cable running through your car.

Also mounting an amp on a parcel shelf is very dangerous as in a crash you could potentally have several KG's of metal flying torwards the back of your head.

and being mounted upside down the amp will cook itself because it won't be able to dissipate the heat it generates efficiently.

NeilGTi85

You want to put the inline fuse as near to the battery as possible, but also i would suggest that you also put a separate fuse in the back if your running big wattage.

As said, if you mount your amp on the parcel shelf upside down it wont last a month!! You could build a small box for it and put it under the rear seats....if its slimline....or just hide it in the boot somewhere, best place would be the side as there is alot of room ontop of the arch.

When i got my MI it had a parcel shelf with built in 6x9's, there was a thick (5cm) bit of hardwood bolted to the underside and was carpeted on the top. It wieghed about 3 stone!!!

Neil

chadney123
You want to put the inline fuse as near to the battery as possible, but also i would suggest that you also put a separate fuse in the back if your running big wattage.

As said, if you mount your amp on the parcel shelf upside down it wont last a month!! You could build a small box for it and put it under the rear seats....if its slimline....or just hide it in the boot somewhere, best place would be the side as there is alot of room ontop of the arch.

When i got my MI it had a parcel shelf with built in 6x9's, there was a thick (5cm) bit of hardwood bolted to the underside and was carpeted on the top. It wieghed about 3 stone!!!

Neil

Why wouldnt it last a month???

I have done it before in my old 205, but this time it was a nice looking fuse holder! I have had a AMP on the back of the back seats before and it sucks, and on the side panel over the wings that sucks aswell! Also had it on AMP/Sub package with the AMP on the sub box that was a pain aswelll! I have to put large boxes in my boot so space is needed. As for putting it under the seat, well i dont want rear heated seats really!

chadney123

Here is a pic of my pacel shelf, i like it. Considering whats on there, it doesnt way that much. I am waiting for a power cap, when it arrives!

Untitled.jpg

engine killer
Here is a pic of my pacel shelf, i like it. Considering whats on there, it doesnt way that much. I am waiting for a power cap, when it arrives!

Untitled.jpg

the look of it is good but will it be too dangerious as mentioned before? ;)

i mounted the whole system in the boot and covered with a carpeted board afterward.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2901741210084130750pfuwhs

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2174232650084130750mGwTYI

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2098202390084130750hXTmbW

spent over GBP1000 on ice but now they are all gone, because i rather prefer a lighter car than a juke box. :)

jeremy

I do not personally know anyone who has cooked an amp by mounting it upside down, however this maybe because I don't know anyone who has done this ie mounted an amp upside down.

Think logically manufacturers spend lots of money developing their product, and most amps have dedicated heat sinks mounted on the sides/top of the amp casing, and believe me they get very hot. Now if this heat is has no where to go it will slowly start to cook the componenets in the amp and one can only assume reduce its performance/life, thus premature failure.

It is up to yo to decide, but in my own personal experience of 205s and amp installs it is not difficult to make a mdf mounting board to attach an amp to on the inside of the boot area. I'll try and get some pics up if this helps.

Nearly forgot to mention as said before place the fuse at the battery end.

Edited by jeremy

tom_m

i've always just cut a piece of mdf to the shape of the boot floor and mounted amps to that.

you can bolt the mdf to the boot floor using the existing holes and then secure the amps and sub boxes to that. no flying around issues there.

d-9

It probably wont over heat. It'll probably be fine. Ive run a SPLX amp underneath the carpet, under the passenger seat of my 106 for the last 2 years and its still pumping out the phat bass despite no air circulation at all.

Getting hit on the back of the head by it in an accident would suck thou. Its always worth strapping subs down too, as a 12" sub box can do a lot of damage when its flying around as you're rolling down the road.

McDude

Fuse - near the battery (as most have said). You could put another one at the amp end but this is belt and braces.

In my younger days I had a 106 GTi, the install I did on that was as others have described, I used the crappy bit of plastic on the boot floor as a template and cut a bit of MDF, then trimmed with carpet from my local ICE place. This was then a secure place to mount the amp and sub and also hide wiring. It also looked higher quality than the crappy plastic mat that was standard. I also made a custom sub enclosure putting full use of my trigonometry skills learnt at school - the enclosure had the sub pointing into the boot at an angle, but also followed the angle of the seat backs - some complex angles going on there, I can tell you! The install looked very neat even if I do say so myself.

If you didn't want the amp on the floor, for practical reasons, what about on the side of the boot i.e. the wheel arch? I'd use MDF again but at least that way you get round the lottery of heat dissapation.

chadney123

As for the heat getting away, having it upside down does not make 1 bit of difference. If it was mounted on the side with a piece of MDF it would stiil have 1 heatsink facing down. I have now heatsinks facing down there is good air flow, and the heatsinks are well venteated. And it wont cook the components inside, it still gets rid of the heat in the smae way as mounting it any other way.

It will be very hard for it to hit me in the back of the head in a crash. First of all it doesnt lift past the window, then it doesnt get past the top of the boot, that being metal and there is about 5cm of leverage!. Then it has to brake the bracks it on. If it can get threw all that i dont think i would surive the crash in the first place!!!

The reason it under the parcel shelf is that it takes no space out of the boot, having a picec of MDF with a amp on it takes up vital space neede!

Edited by chadney123

DrSarty

To answer your original question (again) - and every reply is correct here - you should ('must' for competitions) install a fuse for your main amp power lead within 18inches of the battery and ensure when it passes through bulkheads etc there is a grommet to protect the wire.

Everyone's comment on your amp installation is not criticism my friend, they're all actually looking out for you and giving a word or two of wisdom. Your amp will probably work fine, and likewise in a rear end smash you probably won't be decapitated by it flying forwards. But at least you know eh? People wouldn't say if they didn't care.

The reason it under the parcel shelf is that it takes no space out of the boot, having a picec of MDF with a amp on it takes up vital space needed!

And that's silly, because an amp in the boot, whether it's on the seat back, the rear wheel arch, the floor OR under the parcel shelf, is STILL inside the boot and taking up the same space.

Edited by DrSarty

chadney123
To answer your original question (again) - and every reply is correct here - you should ('must' for competitions) install a fuse for your main amp power lead within 18inches of the battery and ensure when it passes through bulkheads etc there is a grommet to protect the wire.

Everyone's comment on your amp installation is not criticism my friend, they're all actually looking out for you and giving a word or two of wisdom. Your amp will probably work fine, and likewise in a rear end smash you probably won't be decapitated by it flying forwards. But at least you know eh? People wouldn't say if they didn't care.

And that's silly, because an amp in the boot, whether it's on the seat back, the rear wheel arch, the floor OR under the parcel shelf, is STILL inside the boot and taking up the same space.

Well it doest take up any room really, because its the same depth as the parcel shelf. Not like if it was mounted to floor then it takes up room.

Paintguy

I'm not going to enter into the whole 'amp on parcel shelf' debate, as it's your choice, I just hope it is as secure as you say :(

But as many have mentioned, do yourself and your car a favour and make sure you fit a fuse as close to the battery as possible. Save the money that you were going to waste on a cap (which do nothing but look bling and line the salesman's pocket) and buy a decent one ;)

chadney123
I'm not going to enter into the whole 'amp on parcel shelf' debate, as it's your choice, I just hope it is as secure as you say :blink:

But as many have mentioned, do yourself and your car a favour and make sure you fit a fuse as close to the battery as possible. Save the money that you were going to waste on a cap (which do nothing but look bling and line the salesman's pocket) and buy a decent one ;)

I made sure it was very secure, infact a little to over secure 2 tubes of No more nails, support bars and plenty of bolts. This thing aint moving for nothing! lol

No i didnt fancy the cheap stuff this time, learnt by mistakes before. i was caught off guard in Halfords!!!

I have made this set up so its plug and play, just unplug and i can take the parcel shelf out if need be.

As for the fuse being close to the battery, does it really make that much difference? Lets face it 12V aint really gunna hurt!

cybernck

it's not about 12V as such, but in an event of an accident (or preceeding one!)

those 12V coupled with ground give sparks... add a bit of flammable fluid... :blink:

DrSarty

Don't be fooled by 'only 12volts'; it's amps that kill, and car batteries have those in buckets. Again, the advice is for a reason.

Simes

12V drawing up 40A.

Wire chafes and comes into contact with bodyshell.

Spark.

Smoke.

Fire.

Driving.

Every single guide on fitting an amp dictates that the fuse should be near the battery. As it is near and if it detects a fault it will essentially make the remaining 3 metres of cable (where problems will arise) safe.

:blink:

Edited by Simes

d-9
Lets face it 12V aint really gunna hurt!

:blink:;):D

Sign in to follow this