• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Resealing Sump

djinuk

I have a oil leak on my 8v gti, i want to know what the best stuff is to use to reseal the sump as i believe this is where its coming from, also how much to use and any other precautions to take when doing this. Thanks

pug_ham

Wurth's RTV, not to much a decent smear on the gasket is enough.

Keep the bolts in the same order & position for refitting so you don't fit on in the wrong place & damage the flywheel end bearing cap causing a possibly oil leak behind the flywheel.

Graham.

djinuk

Thank-you much appreciated, just a thought, should i use a gasket as well as the RTV then?

Grim.Badger
Thank-you much appreciated, just a thought, should i use a gasket as well as the RTV then?

No, one or the other but not both.

VisaGTi16v

hmm I took the sump off my mi16 a couple of weeks back so I can fit a pick up extension from PeterT but I didnt note where the bolts came out of although I did take a photo. 19 same length bolts and then the 4 allen key head ones which are different length so I guess you just need to put them back in the same place?

smokey
hmm I took the sump off my mi16 a couple of weeks back so I can fit a pick up extension from PeterT but I didnt note where the bolts came out of although I did take a photo. 19 same length bolts and then the 4 allen key head ones which are different length so I guess you just need to put them back in the same place?

Mine was exactly the same, but dont remember which side they were on?!

welshpug

cant remember which engine this was for, but they're all essentially the same

PICT0219.jpg

A is r/h and front edge of the sump.

VisaGTi16v

Hmm I am sure I had 19 normal bolts and 4 cap head allen key ones. No idea if the 19 were all the same size. The reason I know these are the numbers is I counted them the other day as I need to find some longer ones to fit a spacer but now slightly concerned that some are different, at least it adds up to 23 lol, can only presume a few of mine were changed in the past but I will double check. Especially as 2 of the bolts are 2mm shorter and they must be like that for a reason, probably the ones Graham mentions above!

cheers

Bonzai

using WPs picture above, the 4 allen headed bolts (atleast on my sump) are in the 4x A positions furthest to the right

pug_ham
just a thought, should i use a gasket as well as the RTV then?

IMO yes, I do with no issues & thats why I said;

Wurth's RTV, not to much a decent smear on the gasket is enough.

Graham.

VisaGTi16v

Thanks Bonzai, I took a photo which is on my pc at home anyway so can double check on that, just ordered some sealant as my pickup from Peter arrived back today ;)

MerlinGTI

Hmm s*it

I had no allen head bolts on my sump (all 11mm bolts), and didnt realise they were different lengths. What have I busted??

Cheers

VisaGTi16v

Maybe nothing. I went up my lockup tonight and measured mine. I had 4 cap head allen key ones which were 55mm long (not including the head) and then 19 identical bolts which had 40mm length and a integrated 1mm washer, they have been holding it together for 3 years fine so maybe the different length ones are for an 8v or something, perhaps the 1.6 which doesnt have the spacer/brace

Grim.Badger

I know that the allen head bolts were the same size as most of the normal bolts on my 1.9, but I'm not sure about the two shorter ones; I don't remember any looking any shorter :) I use a spare sump to hold the bolts in their correct locations when removing them ;)

DamirGTI

Hello !

All the sump bolts are of the same length (including the allen ones) except two bolts in the middle of the sump near the flywheel (the two bolts which goes trough the 1-st main bearing cap ) these two are shorter :)

Regards ! :D

Damir

VisaGTi16v

The figures for ally with spacer tie up with what I found last night, 4x55mm cap head and 19x40mm bolts so thats good

Dare I ask why the albums owner is Pierre Pen1s :)

DamirGTI

:D yes , well the name of the album was a product of one of the regular weekend joking seances with my mates in the park with loads of "funny" grass :) so i've register this name in my mind and i can remember it easily .. :P

..and yes it's my album B)

Rgs!

Damir

TaffyTim

Hi Im hijacking I know :( but Im going to be (for ease sake) putting a baffle into my sump in a couple of weeks, will i need:

a ) sealer and 2 gaskets

b ) sealer and just 1 gasket

c ) just sealer

Edited by TaffyTim

brumster

IMHO, and as directed by those I trust, 2 gaskets and nothing else. One between sump and baffle plate, and the other between the baffle plate and block/spacer plate. No sealer, just clean up all faces to pristine clean condition and fit gaskets 'dry'.

Works for me :(

andrewhewitt

i used loctite 571 from work. worked a treat

Sign in to follow this