• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

What Adhesive To Stick Door Seals Back On?

M@tt

When my car was stripped for its respray i removed the upper door seals (the ones glued to the car). I reattached them with some double sided trim tape but it hasn't lasted brilliantly.

Anyone have any recommendations for a suitable adhesive? i looked round B&Q yesterday but most of the "no more nails" style stuff dries white which i don't want as its a black car. I'm thinking something like Tiger Seal.

Anyone have any experience as to whether this will be useful or not?

Edited by M@tt

Tom Fenton

Get some Black Sikaflex, this stuff would stick diahoarrea to an oily plate, just don't get it on your hands as it takes weeks to get off them.

steve@cornwall
Get some Black Sikaflex, this stuff would stick diahoarrea to an oily plate, just don't get it on your hands as it takes weeks to get off them.

I second that, Mask off the edge between seal and painted pillar, too .

Arahan

Me too, I used this for sticking some rear quater panel badges once a year or so ago, can't get the feckers off! lol! Sikaflex 221 Black! ;)

M@tt

just ordered some off ebay £8 delivered, job done

cheers

Paintguy

Wasn't my earlier reply to your text quick enough mate? :lol:

Either Tigerseal or Sikaflex 221 would do a great job, they're just much messier than tape :)

Arahan
just ordered some off ebay £8 delivered, job done

cheers

Who you buy it off? I bought some earlier on for £8 delivered too as can't find mine! Bought it off theglueguru!

M@tt

thast him theglueguru ;)

my mrs just msn'd to say its arrived. Along with 3 other parcels!! I love internet shopping :D

one of them should be my new bilstein suspension woohoo

Guest LIL_CLAIRE_1.9

i agree Sikaflex is one of the best products out there for that

M_R_205

Pulling this back up quickly, im going to be fitting (maybe) a dimma kit to my rwd when i get it sorted, will this Sikaflex 221 be ok to glue it on with?? or will i need prober bonding stuff??

I want to fit as much of it myself to save on body shop costs as im a tight git!! :)

M@tt

i used sikaflex 221 and it worked just fine, however it took longer to set than i imagined. I had to leave it overnight for it to set properly.

I used masking tape to hold the seal tightly down in place whilst it set but now its done its worked a treat :D

M_R_205
i used sikaflex 221 and it worked just fine, however it took longer to set than i imagined. I had to leave it overnight for it to set properly.

I used masking tape to hold the seal tightly down in place whilst it set but now its done its worked a treat :D

Do you think it will be ok for a body kit though?? iv used it to stick a rear slatted panel on and it was perfect for that. :D

Paintguy

I've used both '221 and Tigerseal to stick bodykits on before, and they do the job very well. You can go one better and use one of U-Pol or 3M's 2 pack adhesives, but they tend to only be necessary when the joint is a structural one.

For the best possible bond, roughen up both surfaces with a fairly coarse grit paper (80, 120 or 180) then thoroughly clean them. A pre-paint panel wipe is ideal, or something like acetone. As Matt mentions above, it does take some time to cure (up to 24Hrs depending on the conditions), so find some way of clamping the joints firmly until that has happened. For larger body kit panels, I like to use countersunk rivets as a temporary support. These will hold them solidly with no chance of movement, and can be filled over afterwards.

M_R_205

Excellent, fantastic advice guys, Home fitted body kit here we go :)

Edited by M_R_205

Sign in to follow this