• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Rear Roof Spoiler

wardy18

Ok so for my hillclimb 205 i need a rear roof spoiler so get the back down and stop me crashin again..........

i only want an alloy one so its lightweight, what has anyone else got fitted?!

I might just make up my own ;)

Batfink

if you want one that actually works then the f2000 maxi one might be what you need.

wardy18

yeh probbaly that sort fo thing but think that one looks a little silly perched sittin that high, that sort of thing set lower down would be perfect which is why i think ill be better off makin somethin up out of sheet alloy!!

Batfink

if its low down it wont be effective due to the shape of the car.

wardy18

i dont mean below the roof line, just a little closer to the roof so it follows the roofs lines but then scoops up to puch the back down more

Batfink
205catcevennes06hugo.JPGlook at the 205 f2000 stuff rather than the 306 ;)

welshpug
p26611n2.jpg

wardy18

that 205 spoiler is PERFECT, where can i get that from?! dont the others, just look silly as they stick sop far up above the car, that 205 one is spot on, what bodykit is that aswel?! looks way better than any dimma kit.........

welshpug
that 205 spoiler is PERFECT, where can i get that from?! dont the others, just look silly as they stick sop far up above the car, that 205 one is spot on, what bodykit is that aswel?! looks way better than any dimma kit.........

funny you say that, most of them run a 306 Dimma/Maxi front bumper and the wings are shaped like the 306 wings :D

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...ficial%26sa%3DG

could spend hours looking at those pics ;)

wardy18

well i must say i think i could easily make a spoiler which would look along those lines so thats great, at least i know that it suits the cars look from those pics, so that kit is a 306 maxi kit moulded to a 205?!

pug_ham

Spoilers, an engine mod?

Moved to correct section.;)

Graham.

wardy18

yeh sorry about that, i was hopin you would move it as i realised after i had submitted it

pug_ham
yeh sorry about that, i was hopin you would move it as i realised after i had submitted it

That seems to be the case quite often with your topics, please take a second to think about the section you are browsing before you post a topic in future.

Graham.

Batfink

its a kit in its own right. If you do a search for 'maxi f2000' you will find a few threads with where to get it.

brianthemagical

I think you need to clear up what your after a bit. the std spoiler will be nigh on the biggest thats needed, unless your going reet fast. what your after is a wing, rather than spoiler. the 205 maxi is using a wing, the 306 is using a spoiler. it needs to be in free flowing air, so at least out from the spoiler, with a gap below it. unless your an aerodynaimics expert you'll do nowt with some sheet ali.

Rob Thomson
unless your an aerodynaimics expert you'll do nowt with some sheet ali.

Well, nowt apart from creating a load of extra drag.

• Like 1

Batfink
I think you need to clear up what your after a bit. the std spoiler will be nigh on the biggest thats needed, unless your going reet fast. what your after is a wing, rather than spoiler. the 205 maxi is using a wing, the 306 is using a spoiler. it needs to be in free flowing air, so at least out from the spoiler, with a gap below it. unless your an aerodynaimics expert you'll do nowt with some sheet ali.

so when does a spoiler become a wing? I thought a spoiler only interupts air to redirect flow over the bodywork and therefore helps only reduce lift .

But the 306 one is high up which indicates that its being used to provide downforce as wings are more effective the higher they are as they get uninterupted airflow.

Then again its not attached to a hardpoint on the chassis so its of limited use as a wing i think - like the cupra R race cars

brianthemagical

Your pretty much spot on. A spoiler just, as you say, interupts the sir flow, tripping into being detached and, while creating more drag, prevents the ir flow using the back of the car to create lift. it only needs to be a bit bigger than the boundary layer. A wing is an areofoil section. it actually creats lift, pos or neg, by differing the pressures above and below, exactly the same as an airplane wing. it will work in free flow and create lift, whereas a spoiler will only interupt the air flow.

Powers

The 205 Maxi F2000 Carbon fibre one is adjustable too.

Henry Yorke

I would look into the under car aerodynamics more to get ground effect. That you can do with alloy / plastic. Deeper side skirts may be required though.

Or whack one of these on it!!

post-3457-1207362933_thumb.jpg

Nathan

Don't attempt to make your own, as without wishing to sound rude, you'll achieve very little.

My company make aerofoils, and I've got some flaps which need painting that I could do at a nice price for you, sorry for the shameless plug, but if I sell one I'll donate some more money to the forum :)

http://www.djracecars.com/carbon-fibre-win...d-aerofoils.asp

bea5ty

The 205 T16 Group B car only had such a big spoiler on to keep the rear of the car down over jumps because it had a tendency to land on its nose, it was fitted with it after Ari Vatanen had a huge accident in Argentina where the car hit a bump and it rolled end over end.

Before that the works peugeot team were not runing a big spoiler which begs the question, even though the Group B monster is a totaly different animal to a standard 205 the shape remains basically the same so if it didn't need one then will it make that much difference on a hillclimb car which does not achieve the speeds that the Grp B was.

Under body aerodynamics also creates alot less drag than aerodynamic aids on top of the car so maybe there something to look into.

Edited by bea5ty

Henry Yorke

Agree with Beasty. The wings are to make the bcks land first when they are in the air! Petter Solberg lost his rear wing in Finland I think and very nearly binned it on a big jump. If Atkinson had not got his rear wing on this, there would have been some spectators under his roof!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YPqf_iZxDsI&...feature=related

Rippthrough

Especially useful with torsion bar rear suspension which has a tendancy to push the nose down unless you have some very sophisticated damping systems.

Sign in to follow this