• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

New Bushes For Avo Rear Shocks

M@tt

Spent today starting to going through the list of things i need to sort on my car before the psooc euro trip in May, all was going quite well up until i found the source of the faint clunking coming from the rear of my 205. it turned out to be a worn bolt and bush on my adjustable AVO shocks.

little vid here. you can see with the wheel jacked off the floor and me pushing up and down on the wheel the arm shaft is able to be moved but the shock doesn't. the shocks have only done 7k!!

th_MOV00423.jpg

so i'll need some new bushes (and a couple of bolts). so does anyone know if standard pug ones will be a direct fit? obvioulsy the bolt holes are the same size but will the outer diameter of the pug bush be the same as the avo shock? i don't want to order a set only to find they're wrong.

2c52c05a.jpg

to top it off the bolt has seized in the trailing arm :ph34r: i gave it a severe twat with a lump hammer which achieve nothing apart from damaged thread ends which i had to grind down so the nut would still fit on, i tried some heat and also some plus gas but none have been very effective so far. I've left it soaking in some plus gas over night and i'll have another bash at it in the week. think it might be a case of grinding bolt head off and twatting it with a drift from the wheel side

DSC00424.jpg

Jrod

Exact same thing happened with my Avos except the inner metal bit then siezed onto the bolt! Phone them up as I hear they are quite good about rebuilding so they may be able to supply them on the cheap!

2 nuts on the bolt and try and do them up, this should free the bolt, worked for me.

welshpug

cant see why the AVo's would be any different there myself, why do you want to remove the bolt though?

I find a 32oz ballpein hammer does a better job than a Lump hammer as you can get a decent swing :ph34r:

M@tt

nice one!! i'll do that

i also think one of my front shocks has a dead spot on full droop (think thats the right terminology ie when its extended fully) basically you can move it up and down probably 5mm or so with no resistance, might see i f they'll sort that at the same time then

with the 2 bolt trick did that work on the bottom bolt as isn't the bolt head held stationary in the trailing arm so it won't spin?

M@tt

the bolt iself is worn, i checked it with a vernier and it's 0.2mm smaller than the other bolt and putting the other shock on which ad no play you can feel the play in it

Rippthrough

Dave'll probably have some that will fit, or he'll be able to get some, they use the same size as the Gaz IIRC. I won't see him for a few days but give him a ring or pop up and see.

Even if the bolt is worn it shouldn't matter as once the nut is tight bolts should drive on the friction.

Edited by Rippthrough

Jrod
with the 2 bolt trick did that work on the bottom bolt as isn't the bolt head held stationary in the trailing arm so it won't spin?

They have a bit of movement either way still which should be enough to free it off. :)

Maybe mine was just fecked though? :ph34r:

Edited by Jrod

M@tt

ah but i could always grind bolt sides down slightly anyway as i'm binning the bolt and do the 2 bolt trick.... genius!!

Rippthrough

Oh and put the nut on and hit the nut with the hammer, not the bolt.

Alastairh

Avo are 1 mile from my work, and TT is next door :ph34r: . Let me know if you need me to drop in and have a winge for you if you like :)

Al

Rippthrough

If you can nip them up to the workshop tommorow afternoon I'll see if they are the same as the Gaz ones, if so I'll ring Dave for a price on some.

M@tt

in work 9-5 monday to friday :) cheers for the offer though phil.

al i'll give AVO a call tomorrow and see what they say. if i need the heavies sending i'll give you a call :ph34r:

welshpug

that's ok, phill is in the workshop 7am to 11pm 7 days anyway :ph34r:

Rippthrough
that's ok, phill is in the workshop 7am to 11pm 7 days anyway :ph34r:

Pretty much!

Was in 10 while 10 today ffs!

Edited by Rippthrough

M@tt

Spoke to one bloke at AVO this morning who said i'd need to measure the internal diameter of the upper bush as there were differnet sizes and the bushes would be a couple of quid each, anyway I looked up bolt size on service box and called them back, this time spoke to a different bloke, who said he''d send me some out today for free! top man!!

AVO customer service 2 thumbs up!

Edited by M@tt

Jrod
Spoke to one bloke at AVO this morning who said i'd need to measure the internal diameter of the upper bush as there were differnet sizes and the bushes would be a couple of quid each, anyway I looked up bolt size on service box and called them back, this time spoke to a different bloke, who said he''d send me some out today for free! top man!!

AVO customer service 2 thumbs up!

I've always heard great things about their customer service, Given people we rally with free rebuilds when they have had problems and even when you pay I think its REALLY cheap. ;)

M@tt

well the bushes from AVO came through the next day :blush: but they'd not sent the metal sleeves that go through the middle and 2 of the orginal ones had worn slightly so i called them up and they said they'd send some more out. Well they arrived today but they were the wrong ones :)

they make them especially and they'd machined the top sleeve with the larger diamter bolt hole and vice versa (ie got it they wrong way round) so i phoned them up and luckily caught some poor sod at 5.10pm on a friday afternoon and went through it with him, i should have some new ones sent out monday but means the 205 is out of action until tuesday :wub:

with regards to the seized bolt in the trailing arm shaft i tried hitting the bolt with the nut screwed over the end as suggested but it still wasn't budging, in the end i had to remove the handbrake and brake pipe hanger off the trailing arm and grind off the head bolt then drive it through with a drift.

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00431.jpg

when i fitted the new bolt i made sure i put plenty of copperslip on it to hopefully stop it from happening again.

Sign in to follow this