• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Does This Look Odd?

Stu

Right, ive dug out my old 309 beam to start the refurb for the 205, and upon inspection i found this..

30032008872.jpg

30032008871.jpg

Does that look like its knackered? It looks really off centre to me which to my untrained eye suggests it dead. Its also pretty siezed too. :wacko:

So the main question is, do i bother trying to get it apart? For some reason the other side looks fine, and has some movement!

welshpug

you never know until you take it apart, IIRC the cup that the seal sits against does overhang at certain points.

pug_ham

Looks quite bad to me, the cup for the seal has totally rotted way.

Hopefully thats just due to it being stood though & not any indicationof how bad the shafts etc are. :wacko:

Graham.

stutto

My beam looked nearly as bad as that when it came off. Other end ARB plate came off easily, snapped a wheel bolt trying to get drivers plate off, lots of rust along ARB.

Not got any furtheron mine, bearings have gone so the trailing arm shaft is sitting at twelve o'clock instead of concentrically. I suspect my TB's may be bent, and it will be a minor miracle if the tube is not damaged.

Anthony

I'd be very surprised if that's not fit for scrap.

jonnie205

porta power arm off if its seized and just get a new tube, arms and torsion bars will be ok

Stu

Well peeps, my suspicions (and yours :blush: ) were confirmed..

Upon disassembly the trailing arm shaft was that badly seized in the tube the radius arm came off before the shaft came out!

pics001-1.jpg

So its been stripped and the beam tube dumped. The other side came out fine, the shaft is 50/50, might be a candidate for the 180 trick, but the only useful things really are the arb and tb's.

Anyone got a good 309 beam they want rid of? :D:P

yorkshirekowboy
Well peeps, my suspicions (and yours :) ) were confirmed..

Upon disassembly the trailing arm shaft was that badly seized in the tube the radius arm came off before the shaft came out!

pics001-1.jpg

So its been stripped and the beam tube dumped. The other side came out fine, the shaft is 50/50, might be a candidate for the 180 trick, but the only useful things really are the arb and tb's.

Anyone got a good 309 beam they want rid of? ;):P

thats how mine looks, really annoying, cant figure out how you could get it out, as ive given up on mine...

pug_ham
cant figure out how you could get it out, as ive given up on mine...

Best thing to do when that happens is throw it on the scrap pile & weigh it in with the next trailer full.

At least you've got the most important parts of the 309 beam though Stu, namely the torsion bars & anti roll bar. :)

All you need now is a decent 309 beam tube & some radius arms (from a ZX) from a scrapyard.

Graham.

Stu
Best thing to do when that happens is throw it on the scrap pile & weigh it in with the next trailer full.

At least you've got the most important parts of the 309 beam though Stu, namely the torsion bars & anti roll bar. ;)

All you need now is a decent 309 beam tube & some radius arms (from a ZX) from a scrapyard.

Graham.

Yup! thats the plan! :)

yorkshirekowboy

At least you've got the most important parts of the 309 beam though Stu, namely the torsion bars & anti roll bar. :)

Graham.

well i cant get my torsion bar the rear one that is out, proper stuck, tried everything.

M_R_205

Quick hijack, are all ZX beam tubes the same as the 309 ones??

Baz

Nope, more like 306 ones...

pug_ham
well i cant get my torsion bar the rear one that is out, proper stuck, tried everything.

Bring your radius arm & stuck torsion bar to me at work this weekend & I'll give it a try. Yet to be beaten. (lines himself up for defeat.)

I'm not suggersting the ZX or 306 beam tube, just the ZX radius arms.

Graham.

M_R_205

Ah bugger sorry i msis read Graham`s earliar post :)

Stu

Ive found the best way to get the bars out if they're really stuck is to get the radius arms out of the beam with the bars in either end, then find a 40mm-ish long M8 bolt, and using a couple of M10 nuts as spacers bolt it to the end of the torsion bar and beat the s*it out of it! Its the only way i could get mine apart and i spent ages messing about making extractors and slide hammers and all sorts!

Sign in to follow this