• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Wheel Balancing Weights On 1.9 Gti Wheels

smokey

Hiya Guys

I just took my new 1.9 GTI wheels to have some new tyres put on and when they balanced them they asked whether they should put the weights on the outside or inside. Because the weights were on the outside already i had them put on the outside.

I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that with 1.9 brakes the weights would catch if on the inside, which is why i had them put on the outside. As i plan on putting bigger brakes on the car. I wouldn't mind too much, but one of the wheels needed a fair few weights putting on it.

Am i right, or could i have had the weights put on the inside of the wheel?

Thanks

M@tt

if you've got standard 1.9 calipers then you could have the balance weights fitted on the inside no problems.

The only problem comes if you fit larger brakes such as the 283mm 307 HDI calipers as there is very little gap between the caliper and the inside of the alloy and the weights do catch

Doof

Yea its only a problem with 283mm 307/306 brakes....then you end up driving out of the garage to the sound of plink plink plink as they all shoot off!

smokey

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Well at the moment the car has 1.6 drive shafts, hubs, brakes and calipers.

But i've just got some 1.9 drive shafts because i'm putting a mi16 into the CTI.

So i plan on getting 1.9 hubs so that i can get bigger brakes.

Is there much difference between the 1.6 and 1.9 brakes?

I'm just wondering if i should just get 1.9 brakes or something abit bigger?

This car is going to be my fast road/fun car.

Thanks

pug_ham
Is there much difference between the 1.6 and 1.9 brakes?

I'm just wondering if i should just get 1.9 brakes or something abit bigger?

Not much, same diametre (247mm) & both vented but use different discs, pads & calipers.

If your current stuff is all in fine working fettle then with some decent pads it should be fine under Mi power, look at Maxi with circa 200bhp & he has only recently started looking for bigger brakes than standard.

Some swap for the 1.9 girling calipers due to their stronger design but I've never had any problems using the 1.6 Bendix calipers.

Graham.

smokey

Ok cool

So if i put on these 1.9 driveshafts and get some 1.9 hubs, can i still use my 1.6 brakes?

I know it probably sounds silly seeing i've upgraded to 1.9 hubs and shafts, but if it will do for now then i might as well stick to them.

Thanks

M@tt

no if you put 1.9 hubs on you need 1.9 brakes as well

Jrod

You can use 1.6 brakes just need 1.9 discs.

Edited by Jrod

damien

gti6 caliper clip the weights if they are on the inside of the wheel, i think someone said that you can move the weights more inside the wheel so they dont hit the weights or you could use loads of smaller weights

Sign in to follow this