• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ccgoose

1.9 Parts Onto A 1.6

ccgoose

Hi all, i'm thinking about making some upgrades to my 205 ('87 1.6 GTi) and just wondered what 1.9 parts are worth putting onto a 1.6 or is it worth just upgrading everything to 1.9 spec ?

It's not used for racing or anything like that but in time it might see a couple of track days

Atari Boy

Firstly, I am no expert. I do however have a 1.6 albeit with a 1.9 lump in it now.

I am rebuilding a rear beam and it seemed sensible to use a 1.9 one that has disc instead of drum brakes whilst I am at it.

I think the front brakes are slightly larger than the 1.6 ones too but I haven’t tackled that area yet.

Rob_the_Sparky

Front brakes are the same diameter but are different physically. At a guess due to the different driveshafts and hubs.

pug_ham

Like Rob said, All 205's have the same sized discs (247mm).

If everything on your 1.6 is in good condition then you don't need to change anything over to 1.9 spec just because you are thinking of doing a couple of trackdays.

Decent 1.6 bits are plenty strong enough if you use good quality replacement parts when needed.

Graham.

Anthony

1.9 calipers (using 1.6 disks) is a useful upgrade if your 1.6 calipers are rubbish like most are these days.

Otherwise, the rest of the running gear is fine even with Mi16 power and shouldn't have an issue with a few trackdays.

James_R

Yep, 1.9 front calipers is a good plan, I'd keep the whole front running gear, its wider than 1.9 stuff, and free compared to upgrading to 309 stuff.

Bar that, engine if you happen across a cheap one an can do it yourself, otherwise just a std 1.6 will be heaps of fun on track ;)

16v205

If your 1.6 brakes are ok then sell the rest and use the money to buy some good pads. You wont benefit from swapping to 1.9 stuff as not only are the disks and caliper pistons the same size there also heavier.

Rich

Sign in to follow this