• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NeilGTi85

309 Beam Time

NeilGTi85

Hello,

I've recently brought a 2L 205.......and the standard 1.6 beam is / \.

Ive sourced a 309 beam with brakes & dampers, Was just wondering what else im going to need for the transfer.....

I know you have to change something for the brake's/handbrake......

Is it worth getting up-rated mounts?? (road car)

Cheers

Neil

Baz

Could get gp A solid mounts yes, and you'll need 1.9 handbrake cables and flexi's for the calipers. :huh:

Edited by BazGTMi

NeilGTi85
Could get gp A solid mounts yes, and you'll need 1.9 handbrake cables and flexi's for the calipers. :huh:

When you say 'flexi', do you mean braided hose's??

I was going to buy a goodridge brake line kit, will this work?

How do they attach to the caliper? Union type or screw?

Cheers

Neil

pug_ham

IMO for a road car, uprated group A rear beam mounts aren't really needed but its your choice.

Flexi's are included in the goodridge set but because you are fitting a disc beam to a 1.6 you'll need a mixture between the two kits for the rear axle due to the T piece behind the tank where the 1.6 pipes split into two that isn't present on the rear disc brake cars. (two hoses around the beam & then two for the calipers).

The flexi's will screw into the caliper on a goodridge set.

Graham.

NeilGTi85
IMO for a road car, uprated group A rear beam mounts aren't really needed but its your choice.

Flexi's are included in the goodridge set but because you are fitting a disc beam to a 1.6 you'll need a mixture between the two kits for the rear axle due to the T piece behind the tank where the 1.6 pipes split into two that isn't present on the rear disc brake cars. (two hoses around the beam & then two for the calipers).

The flexi's will screw into the caliper on a goodridge set.

Graham.

When you say "you'll need a mixture between the two kit's", which 2 kit's?

As the beam is coming with the break's....currently on a 309, will i be able to steal them from that car and also use the goodridge hose kit??

Has anyone got any picture's so I can get it clear in my head?

Cheers

Neil

pug_ham
When you say "you'll need a mixture between the two kit's", which 2 kit's?

If the beam already has the brakes on then you will be able to use everything but basically if you want to use a complete set of braided hoses to fit a 1.6 that has a disc braked rear beam you will need a full 1.6 Goodridge kit with the two radius arm to caliper braided hoses from a 1.9 kit extra.

Graham.

NeilGTi85

O, I see what your saying now.

Thanks Alot Graham,

Neil

maxi

Whos lowering it for you then mate??? The change over is a piece of cake, once its on remember to trim the profiles of the plastic rear arches and the 309 beam has no center brackett for the seat belt support.

Put some new std mounts from pug on while you are there.

Maxi

NeilGTi85

I'm going to try it myself and with a mate of mine first, If i have any problems I'll be going to see Dan.

I was going to get a new 1.6 beam built from Dan but at £375 i'll be able to get a 309 beam with brakes etc and have some cash for a few beer's after.

I'm going to let hime sort out my breathing issue's if i can not get to the bottom of it, we did a compression test and all seamed fine, top bloke anyway.

When you say i'll have no center braket for the belts support.....will that just be for the lap belt?

And yes, i will be using std mounts,

Cheers Adam,

Neil

Edited by NeilGTi85

Baz

Center bracket yes as you say. Lots of people, myself included don't run one anyway.

maxi
I'm going to try it myself and with a mate of mine first, If i have any problems I'll be going to see Dan.

I was going to get a new 1.6 beam built from Dan but at £375 i'll be able to get a 309 beam with brakes etc and have some cash for a few beer's after.

I'm going to let hime sort out my breathing issue's if i can not get to the bottom of it, we did a compression test and all seamed fine, top bloke anyway.

When you say i'll have no center braket for the belts support.....will that just be for the lap belt?

And yes, i will be using std mounts,

Cheers Adam,

Neil

Lowering them is a piece of cake if you know what you are doing. You need to practise on your old beam first as if you dont do it properly it can be dangerous.

Maxi

Miles

I would strip and check the beam if your going to use the car hard, Most 309 suffer from poor servicing as no one spends any money on them so are allot worse off than most 205 beams so be pre-paired for the worst

Give the torsion bar's a good clean on the splined ends as this will help for any further adjustment's down the line and replace at least the Seals on the beam as these tend to fail after a few yr's and let the water in.

The beam's don;t have anything to do with the seatbelt's so no need to worry there

NeilGTi85

I'm getting the beam of a friend of mine who's 309 has been looked after so the beam should be ok, I will like you said replace the bearings and give it a good clean.

Cheers

Neil

Sign in to follow this