• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

Anyone Changed The Steering Column Universal Joint Before?

Anton green

Anyone changed the steering column universal joint before?

Is it an easy job to do?

Should I buy the rubber gaiter or not bother in your opinion?

How much do steering column universal joints cost from Pug?

Thanks

Tom Fenton

1 Yes

2 I didn't think it was that hard

3 Yes, if your old one is knackered

4 Pass

Anton green

Oh god.

They're £57 + VAT from Peugeot for this tiny-as$ part.

joey

Ouch!!

do you mind me asking why youre changing this..steering heavy??

just wondering as i might av to change mine

Anton green

There is some play in it, which more than anything is annoying me that the steering wheel makes a very slight clonk when turned from side to side when stationary. Not enough play there to affect performance so may leave it for a couple of weeks or until the car is back on the road. I believe mine could have worn a bit because apparently there is a gaiter in this area to protect the part from the elements and to keep grease in position when they leave the factory

In the meanwhile, if anyone has a good one that'd be cool if you get in contact>>>>

Miles

There are 3 different types, 2 with the straight spline and the late square drive, The spline type have 2 different length's going to the steering coloum but I;ve always found the long one fit's,

As you've said they either wear or get stiff and make the steering heavy

But it's a easy job to complete

Edited by Miles

Anton green

cheers.

I resent paying that amount of money so may look into doing else. Peugeot said it comes with a shaft attached to it(???) So I may be able to find a way to bring the cost down hopefully.

philfingers

there's a GSF part apparently but it comes with a rubber isolator in it and not so good. try www.peugeotparts.co.uk for a genuine one tho, should be cheaper than a dealer.

They go stiffer as the proximity to the exhaust means the heat drives the grease out. It's an MOT fail if it's too stiff too. Couldn't move mine easily when it was clamped in the vice!

Phil

Anton green

ahh, I rang GSF just after peugeot. The man there said they dont do one, but I'll try www.peugeotparts.co.uk tomorrow

Thanks

jackherer
there's a GSF part apparently but it comes with a rubber isolator in it and not so good.

I hadn't heard that the GSF ones had rubber in. The one I got a while ago from Euro Car Parts had a rubber section but I ended up tack welding round it and its been fine for ages like that.

philfingers

could well be ECP and not GSF that do the one with rubber isolator, my bad memory!

Anton green

I spoke with the Peugeot parts .com guy and the price is about £41+VAT, so although the price is lower I still believe it to be too much for such a component.

Miles

Thats nothing, the power steering one is over £100.00 so a bargin I think :D

bondo

That is really what I did not want to hear. My 1.6 gti (S2) PAS is making the same sort of double 'clonk' especially when parking. So am I really looking at over a ton for a tiny uv joint?

With mine it really does feel like it is catching just under the steering wheel though. There is only one UJ on the steering assy isn't there?

Simes
With mine it really does feel like it is catching just under the steering wheel though. There is only one UJ on the steering assy isn't there?

2567385010056984843S500x500Q85.jpg

There are two, one at the top and one at the bottom, it's normally the lower one that wears.

As Miles said the PAS ones are pretty expensive, if you happen to have a breakers yard nearby it's worth having a look for one. 309's use the same part.

Edited by Simes

philfingers

Mine was a PAS one (309 gti, although I think it's same part for PAS 205 aswell) from www.peugeotparts.co.uk was £47! They're £130 list price, or thereabouts anyway. For clarification I'm talking about part no 1 in the above drawing. There are 3 different types. And yes I thought they were expensive too, wouldn;t want to pay full price for one. Typically i scoured the forum and the local breakers and no one has a s/h one when i wanted it!

welshpug

I doubt I'm not the only one that thinks this, but £40 for a steering column UJ is cheap!!

Its also not an uncommon failure amongst other marques, Ford and BMW have known issues.

bondo

Thanks for the diagram, but I did look at that before, and assumed the UJ at the top was merely a detailed view of the one at the bottom. To my simple mind, the splined section at the top of the shaft is normally where the steering wheel is attached, so I can't quite see where the top one goes. I think some disassembly and a can of lithium grease is my first port of call as I really don't fancy taking the whole column out.

Still we have had this car since new (1991) and it has only needed a couple of driveshafts and a valve stem seal replacement so I think we owe it some.

philfingers

It;s not a big job to take the column out, so long as you have the tools etc.

Anton green

So.. The lower UJ comes with the shaft attached, there are 3 different types (mine is the long splined variety), and a price anywhere around £50 is considered cheap for such a component!

To change the shaft, going by the pic above, it is a case of loosenning the bolts by the UJ itself and feeding the shaft thru..

Thanks all.

philfingers

I'd remove the upper column and remove the upper UJ. Then undo the lower UJ where it meets the rack. Knock it back and into the car a little then pull it down. hence the reason for remove the upper joint (or loosening it anyway, don't think i removed it completely). If you take that rubber bung out you'll have hells game puttin git back in. This way you don't need to remove the rack.

Phil

Sign in to follow this