• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Trackstar_pug

Rear Brake And Compensator Questions

Trackstar_pug

Im currently running a 1.6 rear axle and dont really fancy changing to a 1.9 rear axle if i dont have to so im looking for some information about what parts are exactly needed in order to change from drums to discs

ive tried looking through the forums and applogise if ive missed this information but just generally a list of parts needed would be great and a general outline of what needs to be done will be great

im also re-running all my brake pipes and wondering if its worth while changing from the 1.6 brake compensator to the two 1.9 compensators, i read somewhere that the 1.6 compensator is sometimes better to be used with the rear discs can anyone confirm this as i will need to buy new compensators anyway

this is for a track car just so people know

thanx in advance for any information

Anthony
Im currently running a 1.6 rear axle and dont really fancy changing to a 1.9 rear axle if i dont have to so im looking for some information about what parts are exactly needed in order to change from drums to discs

Stub axles

Hubs (with wheel bearings)

Caliper mounting bracket

Calipers

Disks and pads

Solid brake pipes from the round the tube flexi's to the caliper flexi's

Caliper flexi brake pipes

Bracket for caliper flexi pipe

Handbrake cables

I think that's everything.

im also re-running all my brake pipes and wondering if its worth while changing from the 1.6 brake compensator to the two 1.9 compensators, i read somewhere that the 1.6 compensator is sometimes better to be used with the rear discs can anyone confirm this as i will need to buy new compensators anyway

1.6 compensator and standard 1.6 front-rear brake split is absolutely fine, and no need (or in my opinion advantage) going to the 1.9 compensators and diagonal-split setup. Indeed, I'd rather keep the 1.6 compensator purely because it's simple and reliable, and doesn't tend to sieze up like the 1.9 ones to, leading to either no brake effort or the rear wheel(s) locking.

Trackstar_pug

thanks very much for the info

ill be redoing the entire brake lines anyway as the current ones are shocking

got a great deal on the car, engine was freshly rebuilt but between the loom and the likes of the brake lines the car needed some work but its comming along now

am i correct in saying if using the 1.6 compenator id run a single like to and from the compensator then near the rear the lines will split from a sort of three way connector having the single line from the MC then one line each for each caliper?

ive not had a proper look at how the lines are run at the back at the moment hence why im asking

Anthony
am i correct in saying if using the 1.6 compenator id run a single like to and from the compensator then near the rear the lines will split from a sort of three way connector having the single line from the MC then one line each for each caliper?

Correct - the T-piece the bodywork side of the passenger side rear beam tube flexi

Trackstar_pug

thanks very much ill need to get my finger out and try source some of these parts now

yorkshirekowboy

im ruuning a 1.6 brake setup and i have got rid of my brake compensator, and its fine, but chnaging to a rear disc'd axle soon, i heard its better not using any compensator?

Anthony
im ruuning a 1.6 brake setup and i have got rid of my brake compensator, and its fine, but chnaging to a rear disc'd axle soon, i heard its better not using any compensator?

If you're running something like GTi-6 brakes on the front then no compensator is fine, but don't try it with standard calipers up front or the rear wheels will lock prematurely which leads to some "interesting" moments shall we say...

yorkshirekowboy
If you're running something like GTi-6 brakes on the front then no compensator is fine, but don't try it with standard calipers up front or the rear wheels will lock prematurely which leads to some "interesting" moments shall we say...

im using normal 1.6 bendix calipers, and no compenstaor and ive never had any probs

how old are your rear brakes?

i used to have no compensators on my 309 gti with 206 180 brakes on

when i swapped back to 1.9 calipers on the front it was pretty lairy when pushing on!

Peetypug

sorry for the hijack :D

i'm putting GTI6 front brakes on my 1.9

can i get away with no compensators?

Anthony
sorry for the hijack :D

i'm putting GTI6 front brakes on my 1.9

can i get away with no compensators?

Yes. That's the setup that I used to run and had no problem at all :(

Peetypug
Yes. That's the setup that I used to run and had no problem at all :D

thanks

Emmy Seize
Yes. That's the setup that I used to run and had no problem at all :wacko:

That´s interesting. Did you use the 23,8 mm MC from the GTI6 as well?

I´m asking because I converted my 1,9 with the GTI6 calipers and MC with front/rear split and that didn´t work too well without compensation.

Especially under heavy braking, the rears kept locking up very early.

The cure was an adjustable bias valve to reduce pressure at the rear just a tad less than a standard 1,9 compensator would do.

Edited by Emmy Seize

Trackstar_pug

considering changing from the compensator valve to the below brake bias valve

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adjustable-Brake-Bia...1QQcmdZViewItem

would this work ok having a single pipe run from the MC to the bias valve then split at a t piece to the back brakes?

and doing so am i best running the two front brakes running from one side of the MC outputs or using the front two output for the front then block one outlet at the back and running one of the back outlets to the bias valve??

Edited by Trackstar_pug

Sign in to follow this