• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Supercharged Mi16

Jer309GTi

I've been looking into options for management for supercharging my Mi16. I'm more than likely going to use an Eaton M62 and was thinking of using Jenvey TBs/Emerald management. I assume that this can be mapped to suit a supercharged engine? Other option is GTi6 management/inlet etc and use one of the GTi6 supercharger kits that have been talked about on here. Would the Emerald/TB option be worth spending the extra money on, or would the GTi6 setup give as good results? I'll be fitting an intercooler and am looking into the water/methanol injection kits from the US, if it makes any difference.

Cheers :)

madspikes

I'm not sure if its worth having throttle bodies and a supercharger, I might be wrong.

If you want to control the charger properly, your going to need an after market ECU. You could always go down the Megasquirt route, like myself and many others have. Most after market ECUs shouldnt have any problems controlling water/methanol injection as well.

Mad.

Bonzai

I would reccomend Emerald highly. DW clearly knows more than any one man should ever need to know about engines and their management systems.

With regards including jenveys, i would have thought its not really neccasary. It may be worth reading through the PPC DIY supercharging guide in the last 2 months for information about where best to put the throttle butterfly(s)

welshpug

the kit used on the gti6's looks to be very well thought out and put together, and works well with a remapped Magnetti Marelli ECU, which would be pretty straightforward to fit into a 405 (I've converted a ZX from the same ecu as the Mi16 to a gti6 system)

if you go for a boost level that another conversion has already used I think you can save yourself a fair bit in mapping time (Rich_W has low and high boost maps ready to flash)

this kit I think will fit straight onto the 2.0 Mi16 (the Lynx engineering kits I presure?) as the block is identical and the head shares the same port spacing and stud arrangement, you just need to sort out some coils and somewhere to mount the oil piping, plenty of space upfront for a big intercooler.

using a blower on a set of throttle bodies seems to be defeating the object IMO! especially when you consider the expense of them and the lack of gains when used in a boosted application.

that's just my thoughts on the subject of course :)

Edited by welshpug

Jer309GTi

Nice, thanks for the replies everyone :huh:

Looks like the GTi6 inlet is the way to go then, although I was planning on using my 1.9 alloy block engine as it has been rebuilt a year ago. I'm wondering now if it is worth getting hold of a GTi6 lump and selling my 1.9 as it would make things more straight forward, not to mention the well documented benefits of the 6 engine over the Mi. Any opinions on that idea?

Bonzai, I've been reading the PPC guide, and its been very helpful :lol: I've even ripped out the pages and put them in a folder so I've got them all together, how sad is that lol.

Welshpug, thats the kit im thinking of. It seems to be a well proven way to do things, with 400bhp potential. My car has the ABS and aircon removed so there is plenty of space for a big intercooler and associated pipework. I was only really thinking of using the Jenveys if they offered a significant increase in power/torque/driveability compared to the 6 inlet. But from reading these replies it does seem like an unnecessary expense now I think about it. One good thing is I can get a proper rollcage made with the money I'd spent on the TBs :P

I'm all excited now lol :P

welshpug

the inlet used isnt a 6 one anyway Jer, its about a third of the length, you can see the pics on the gti6 forum if you search "supercharger" and look for Rich_W's threads.

Jer309GTi

Oh right ok, cheers. I'll take a look :huh:

boldy205

How the hell am i supposed to catch you once you have that lot fitted? (Im thinking whacky racers style boobie traps, or a charged V8 E30 :) hmmmm i wish!)

Jer309GTi

Lol :)

Been doing a bit more research. I think changing to GTi6 and getting the Lynx kit would use up all of my budget and I still need to sort suspension, get an LSD, decent wheels etc. So I'll be sticking with my 1.9, with an M62. So as I see it my options for management are: 1) Megasquirt 2) Emerald/Omex etc or 3) remapped GTi6. I think I'm right in saying I want a MAP sensor system and not an airflow meter system, right? Just trying to piece together my options, so any comments/suggestions welcome please :)

As for budget, I've got a few grand put aside to chuck at it, so I'm not looking for the cheapest option, just a good trade off between performance/reliabilty/cost if that makes any sense

pug_ham
I think I'm right in saying I want a MAP sensor system and not an airflow meter system, right?
Supercharger or turbo, a map sensor is much better than an AFM so you definately should aim for an ecu with a map sensor imo.

I don't think any cars run an AFM now & there are much better ecu's available rather than restrict yourself to one with old technology.

The GTi-6 already has newer version of the Magneti marelli ecu fitted which can be remappped but as you say ou are staying with the 1.9 16v engine, a late 405 XU10 na 8v can be a source of an MM8P loom & ecu that uses a map sensor that can also be remapped for most applications.

Graham.

allanallen

bare in mind that you'll more than likely need a custom inlet manifold and you'll probably need to move the alternator to fit an m62 under the bonnet.

Just to give you some idea; mine uses an m45 using a cut down mi manifold with a custom plenum and the alternator runs off the exhaust cam.

In the long run its probably worth buying an aftermarket ecu as the initial mapping for say a gti6 ecu is about £400ish and only limited places actually do it.

I rekon you'll have to be careful with your CR aswell as the m62 should be capable of fairly hi boost on an mi.

welshpug

no need to change the engine Jer, just bolt the gti6 charger system and brackets to the iron block Mi16.

Jer309GTi

Thanks Graham, thats good news about the later XU management. There are plenty of 405s in the scrapyards round here that I could scavenge from.

Allanallen, do you have any pics of your engine and supercharger mounting please? Would be very interested to see them. It would be difficult to run the alt off of the exhaust cam as the power steering pump is there on mine, but with a custom manifold and the alt shifted over a bit then there should hopefully be enough room. I'm going to get hold of the charger and start measuring up and then go from there. It's going into a 405 so there is a bit more room than in a 309.

I'll be using DFW pistons to get the compression to 9.5:1, obviously still won't be able to have huge amounts of boost but a lot more than if I was usinfg standard pistons

Sign in to follow this