• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jtek

266mm Calipers

jtek

The car currently has a standard braking system besides goodridge hoses, and i am toying with the idea of moving to some 266mm calipers and discs. the car is a 1.6 with a front rear split system, but as some time in the future i hope to be getting more power, and also considering that both of my driveshafts have split boots now, it may be worth moving up to 1900 hubs and shafts, along with the bigger brakes. i know these were used in lots of cars over the years, are there any versions to look for in particular? also will i need a larger mc, and will there be any knock on effect to the rear compensator? the only threads i can find talk about 283mm stoppers, but they seem a bit over kill and quite heavy also. oh and if this is recommended i will be needing all of these bits on the car by 12th april, so a wanted thread will be going up! cheers

Nathan

Without the larger MC your brakes will work, but will inspire no confidence whats so ever as the pedal goes nearly to the floor (swapping between my car and the GF's modern over compenstated POS was a knightmare).

406 cylinder will give the brakes a nice feel, I've not touched the rear compensator as the rears do so little work.

GLPoomobile

What do you do about blocking one of the brake line ports in the MC when using it on a 1.6?

welshpug

my ZX feels great, 266mm calipers on the front (std size, same caliper as the 405 Mi16 which has a 54mm pot IIRC)

it runs a 23.8mm M/C as std with the 32mm pistons at the rear.

405 is slightly different with a 22.something M/C and the same 266mm caliper and 54mm M/C, pedal feels a bit softer but still plenty of bite.

Nathan
What do you do about blocking one of the brake line ports in the MC when using it on a 1.6?

Just stuck a blanking type fitting in the MC.

leon 1.9

Should be getting 283mm GTi6 brakes on my pug 306 hdi, so will probably have a set of the 266mm calipers up for sale soon, but the discs and pads are trashed.

The 266mm brakes slow my HDi well anyway, but as I'm fitting lighter 16" alloys I figured the extra weight of the GTi set-up will be fine.

de Noir

Factory 306s with 266x20mm discs and 54mm caliper pots run 22mm master cylinders.

So, I guess factory designed pedal travel and feel are fine.

Also, 22mm mbcs are factory fitted on ABSed 405s.

I went for this combo myself > Lucas 306S16 front calipers + 22mm mbc. Fitted rear compensators too, just in case.

Edited by MH_

pug_ham

I've driven 205's with the standard 20.9mm mc fitted with 306 GTi-6 front brakes & the pedal wasn't that bad.

It certainly stopped the car more than well enough & the pedal never hit the floor when on track.

I've got the 266mm discs & calipers on my car now still using the standard mc but I've been lucky because I've still got calipers with 48mm pistons (standard 205 size) fitted with the 266 yokes.

If anything, with these fitted my brake balance has improved from the original 247mm discs on the 1.6 compensator set up with rear discs.

I have a four port 22.2mm mc from a 405 that I was going to fit with this set up but at present I'm not going to bother, its just not needed. :huh:

Graham.

jtek

aaarggh dilemmas, thanks for your help everyone, looks like i will have to go with a 22mm MC to be sure, is anybody aware of the different 266mm calipers available and which are best to find? time is ticking down, looks like i may be heading to Llandow still on old setup, just hope the shafts hold out ok :S

nick

So Graham, are you saying that you can run the 266mm yolks with std 1.9 calipers and (obviously) the 266mm discs?

Nick

pug_ham
So Graham, are you saying that you can run the 266mm yolks with std 1.9 calipers and (obviously) the 266mm discs?

Nick

Yes, well I think thats what I've got fitted to mine but since fitting them I've yet to find another set of 266mm yokes that the 1.9 girling calipers fit straight onto.:)

I've had to dress the calipers quite a lot to avoid them catching on the inside of the 1.6 alloys (still have abit more to go on the nearside) but my calipers have definately got 48mm pistons & my discs are certainly 266mm ones.

Graham.

nick

So it wouldn't be an issue on 1.9 wheels... just thinking that this could be a really cheap upgrade, a set off yolks and discs and thats it!!

Nick

de Noir
... is anybody aware of the different 266mm calipers available and which are best to find?

Try looking for 150/155bhp 306 S16 or 206 HDi 2.0 calipers. I think 136bhp 206 GTI runs them too.

Edited by MH_

pug_ham
So it wouldn't be an issue on 1.9 wheels... just thinking that this could be a really cheap upgrade, a set off yolks and discs and thats it!!

Certainly would be, I just need to find out which car the yokes I've got that the standard 1.9 girling front calipers fit straight onto were off.

Graham.

d-9

Probably not *that* cheap an upgrade, given secondhand yokes normally are only sold with calipers, and brand new yokes cost roughly the same as secondhand calipers/yokes/pads/discs.

I ran 206GTI 266s on my 309 with standard master cylinder and they were fine, coped with lots of fast road use/abuse and a couple of good days at Llandow and Anglesey.

nick

Depends where you get the yokes form.... I'm certain that the breakers that I go to in Derby would'nt even know what they were and would probably charge a fiver each!

Nick

pug_ham

I'm fairly certian my yokes were from a 306 but not what make they are.

I know for a fact that the Lucas ones haven't got the same caliper bolt spacing as the 1.9 GTi girling calipers. :(

I can get a pair of yokes with calipers for about £25 but probably just £5 for the yokes alone when my local scrapyard has a suitable 306 in.:D

Graham.

Sign in to follow this