• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jerseypug

Just Got My First Oil Surge

jerseypug

my car has receintly had new big end shells fitted and the engine has not been tilted. i just did a trackday where it rained most of the day, was bitterly cold and i had road tyres on. there is a very long left handed corner that i had not had a problem with all morning, come the afternoon and the rain eased up the oil light came on for a moment at the end of the bend at about 4500 revs, i eased off a bit but the next time around i noticed the oil pressure was down to 17 lbs at the same part of the corner. i pulled in and then drove about 70 miles back to the ferry with no problems and no strange noises. the car ran like clockwork all day, the oil temp was fine and i did loads of miles on the track. i have tried to sort out a dry sump but at £1300 it is expensive and there is the problem of anything getting in the belt and pully and i will also have to fit loads of pipework and an oil tank in a sealed compartment. i love the car as it is but dont want the oil surge to happen again. it is a stage rally car and my main concern is reliability especially with grippy rally tyres. the rally regs state that for 2009 my car has to be over 1000kg so i can afford to put some weight on the car. my thoughts are going towards a gti6 engine. they are newer and have slightly more power. has anyone suffered with oil surge with these engines? are they much heavier? is anyone selling one?

my next rally is in 4 weeks but is on loose surface which should be ok with the mi.

crf450
my car has receintly had new big end shells fitted and the engine has not been tilted. i just did a trackday where it rained most of the day, was bitterly cold and i had road tyres on. there is a very long left handed corner that i had not had a problem with all morning, come the afternoon and the rain eased up the oil light came on for a moment at the end of the bend at about 4500 revs, i eased off a bit but the next time around i noticed the oil pressure was down to 17 lbs at the same part of the corner. i pulled in and then drove about 70 miles back to the ferry with no problems and no strange noises. the car ran like clockwork all day, the oil temp was fine and i did loads of miles on the track. i have tried to sort out a dry sump but at £1300 it is expensive and there is the problem of anything getting in the belt and pully and i will also have to fit loads of pipework and an oil tank in a sealed compartment. i love the car as it is but dont want the oil surge to happen again. it is a stage rally car and my main concern is reliability especially with grippy rally tyres. the rally regs state that for 2009 my car has to be over 1000kg so i can afford to put some weight on the car. my thoughts are going towards a gti6 engine. they are newer and have slightly more power. has anyone suffered with oil surge with these engines? are they much heavier? is anyone selling one?

my next rally is in 4 weeks but is on loose surface which should be ok with the mi.

In my opinion and experiences it's not worth trying to stop your engine surging because you wont unless you spend grand's,much better fitting the Gti6 engine which wont surge and have more power torque and reliability at the expense of about 16ks over your Mi,if you battery isn't already out the engine bay move it behind the seats and you have offset the weight difference.

M_R_205

Fit a gti 6 sump, the little gate makes quite a difference, also a trick iv seen it to fit an external bleed for the head, im assuming some of the problem is due to the oil not draining very well from the head... both mods can be done inside £100

brumster

In 3 words - "PTS baffled sump" ?

Stu

Are you using the stock Mi sump mate? Its a ludicrusly open design, and given the problem with oil return back to the sump you'd have thought Peugeot would have done something about it.

I've yet to track mine, but at the mo ive got an XU10 gated sump, oil pump baffle, and extended pick up. Once the oil cooler has gone on theres not a lot else that can be done bar dry sumping i suppose.

Edited by stu da rude

petert

There are some solutions on my website that mostly utilise OEM parts. I use all the bits listed with an XU9J4 head and never see less than 25psi except at idle (1250rpm) in the pits.

C_W

In 2 words - "doesn't work" :angry:

It's probably ok for an 8v but it doesn't cure the surge in a 1.9 16v engine; I've got better results with my own setup which is the oil pump baffle, centre baffle (no trap door), and top "windage plate" that sits ontop of the sump.

jackherer

You're both wrong :huh:

Thats five words.

In 2 words - "doesn't work" :P

And thats three :P:lol:

sutol

Pulled the sump off my old 1.9 engine today and thought I would try and baffle it. Now my welding isn't the neatest around but it's strong (I always overdo it)

Anyway here are the results and it does hold water back when tipped for 5 to 10 secs so there is always some around the oil pick up point.

I made an experimental pump baffle plate which should work, better than none anyway.

here they are;-

post-9302-1206652896.jpgpost-9302-1206652822.jpg

post-9302-1206652865.jpg

Spiky

GTI6 :)

jerseypug

i think i will go with the gti6. shame as i do like the mi and have done the head gasket, water pump, timing belt, tensioners, big ends, stem seals etc. i have been offered a gti6 with 75000 miles, all pipework, manifolds, sensors, loom and unlocked ecu for £580 that seems an ok price? i will have to do the head gasket again, big ends and belt for piece of mind.

here is a video of the left hander when the oil light came on. not very good quality

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_8VfkCjFjxE

pee vee

that surged so easy :s was quite a long corner, but it was wet :s

sure there isnt some other reason that its doing it?

jerseypug

it is new oil, the big ends are new, i dont run an oil cooler but the oil temp was fine. it is a really long left hander. the oil pressure has allways been nice and high on the road

gti-si

At £850 I think that's a little steep. Check the forsale section, Jonnie205 is selling a smiliar engine, same mileage for £500 I think

TT205

Unless it's been edited it says £580 not £850

RonnieG

Seems to me it depends on how happy you are with your Mi16 Engine......

As has been previously stated it’s a fairly easy job to fit the standard Gti6 oil feed system to the Mi16 engine by fitting the Gti6 Baffled Sump, Oil pump baffle & extending the oil pick up pipe by 15mm.

These changes will make your oil capacity approx 6.5 Ltrs and should make your engine as resisitant to surge as any Gti6….

Sign in to follow this