• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamP

Gti Clutch On Tu

AdamP

I have 2 spare gearboxes, a spare flywheel and a GTi clutch (plate and cover). See where I'm heading?

Well, I'm sure I read on here that it's possible to convert a TU to a GTi clutch by re-drilling the flywheel to take the gti cover and modifying the bell housing, but how much of an advantage would that be? At what power/torque does the clutch become a problem? As I'll be starting to build my hot engine soon I'm thinking about these things.

Adam

(P.S.... I will admit now that this post is aimed mostly at Sandy309, but anyones views would be most appreciated!)

swordfish210

Just get a 180mm paddle clutch from Mardi Gras Motor Sport. I got mine from there and it's a ceramic paddle design with some rather chumky springs in it. Much easier than doing all of that conversion

bren_1.3

some thoughts for you.......

if your going as far as to modify the bell housing on an MA box then you might aswell go to a BE gearbox.

clutch wise you can use a larger TU clutch and have a flywheel machined to accept it i think.

AdamP

The point is that I could do the conversion for nowt and with parts I have at the moment (banned from bubying any more parts!) :) Just want to know if it's worth the hassle for the advantages.

Ie if running more than X power/torque with Y tyres then it may be worth it.

Edited by AdamP

RossD

The MA gearbox will self destruct way before you get near the torque limit of the 1.6 (200mm) clutch. For hard use, a simple bolt on helix clutch would do the trick.

I can see your point about trying it, why not give it a go and report back? We can give advice on here, but seeing as I dont think anyone has ever tried it, give it a go and see how it works! :)

Sandy

The 1.4 will never overcome a healthy 180mm clutch, the 200mm GTi clutch will only increase flywheel inertia, so for a 1.4 it's pointless IMO. The 1.6 TU is right on the edge of what the 180mm clutch can take in standard tune, any more torque and you need the 200mm one.

AdamP

Just the info I was after!

Sign in to follow this