• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Turbloide2

S16 Downpipe

Turbloide2

Hi all ive used the search option but couldnt seam to find the answer i was after.

I have purchased a 205 with the s16 engine fitted.

I noticed a very nasty vibrating noise which i thought was the gearbox but ive just had a look and the downpipe is resting on the bulkhead......

How can i solve this problem ?

Does this mean the engine has been fitted untilted ?

Am i best removing the exhaust system and beating the bulkhead back ?

Or is there a better way ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Danny

richsmells

I had trouble finding this post from a few days ago, but should point you in the right direction. Loads of info if you do a search.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...amp;hl=maniflow

Basically, the S16 (and similarly gti6) engines are slightly taller so futher exhaust clearance problems are encountered. The solutions in the above post get around needing to reshape the tunnel/bulkhead or tilt the engine.

Edited by richsmells

Miles

The S16 engine fit's the std downpipe without any problems at all, or it should do at least, if not someone's done something so have a look around.

richsmells

Sorry, I didn't explain very well at all. The engines are taller but as Miles said, standard manifold is fine!

Turbloide2

Thanks guys.

Would it of been possible for the previous owner to fit the mi16 manifold and down pipe to the s16 engine and would this cause the problems i have ?

Reason i ask is that the car had an mi16 in it before he fitted an s16

Thanks

Danny

Miles

Not really unless he spent a few hour's making a adaptor plate as all the studding is different between the 2, The S16 being a Cast manifold to the same design (Near as) as the 1.9's tube design.

Turbloide2

So what if hes not reangled the manifold and fitted the std downpipe to it.....

Would this cause the downpipe to rest against the bulk head even at standstill ?

Sorry for all the questions im just trying to get my head round it :)

If i have a look tomorow is the reangleing plated ment to be situated between the head and the manifold and should i be able to see it ?

Thanks for your info :mellow:

Miles

It would be a one off I guess and hardly worth the effort in my eyes but you never know what people do, The 1.9 has 9 mounting studs and the 2.0 has 10 for your info and the plate would be between the head and manifold, But they could of used the Mi16 head so the manifold would need adjusting, Take a pic if you can and post it up

The std cast manifold and std downpipe fit's without any mods at all, well you could do with using the S16 flange so the gasket fit's better.

Turbloide2

It is definatley the s16 head that is fitted.

Just cant understand why it would be sitting on the bulk head if there is usally no bulkhead problems with the s16 when using the std downpipe and manifold.

I shall take some pictures tomorow and get them posted up.

welshpug

if it had a 1.9 Mi16 previously I bet the downpipe was modified to suit, and re-used on the 2.0 lump.

have a look to see if the downpipe is modified in any way.

Turbloide2

Im thinking the same. If the old modified downpipe has been used would this cause it to sit on bulk.......

If this is the case all i should have to do is get a standard downpipe, when you say standard i take it your meaning the 205 standard downpipe ? are the 1.6 and 1.9 the same ?

Cheers

ile have a lok tomorow after work and take a few pics aswell.

Grim.Badger

The 1.6 and 1.9 8v both take the same downpipe; I think you will need it fitted up with an O2 sensor though.

Turbloide2

im runnin carbs so i shouldnt need to use the o2 sensor shold i ?

Grim.Badger
im runnin carbs so i shouldnt need to use the o2 sensor shold i ?

I'm almost certain you don't; if you don't have one now then you're probably okay.

Turbloide2

Hi all ive took the down pipe off and its a 2 pipe downpipe.....

Ive got a 1.9 downpipe that is just a single pipe, the problem i have now is that the old downpipe i removed was a fair bit longer than the 1.9 im putting on.....

What Center section do i need to use now ?

The manifold flange seam to point towards the drivers side of the exhaust tunnel its not in the middle ?

How can i solve this or will putting the 1.9 dowpipe on solve my problem ?

Thanks for all your helpful info so far :)

Turbloide2

Also noticed the manifold on the car is a tubular design ???? What should the std s16 manifold look like ?

This one has the 8 pipes and a weld running across at the bottom of them all........

Miles

The Tube type is the 1.9 Mi16 type, Are you sure you have the S16 engine (Iron block and Iron top engine mt) compared to the Alloy block and engine mount of the 1.9? Could be that a 1.9 head's been fitted as well so the angles will be way out.

The S16 is a cast iron manifold which looks like any other cast manifold really,

Turbloide2

The engine is a s16 i no that for sure i have the recipts and pics of it purchased 6 months ago.

Could the previous owner in no way have fitted the mi16 manifold to the s16 head ???

Is there any visual way i can check what head is fitted ?

If the mi16 head has been fitted to the s16 engine and the mi16 manifold fitted what do i now need to do to get the downpipe to fit ?

The manifold flange does no point towards the exhaust tunnel its kinda to the drivers side of it where it catches......

Sorry for all the questions.

And i really appreciate the help.

Turbloide2

When fitting the s16 engine do you have to use the s16 top engine mount ?

As i think he has used the mi16 engine mount as it was fitted with a mi16 engine before.........

If he has used the mi16 mount would this cause my problem ?

Miles

You use all the std 205 mount's so that's not a problem, the only way to get clearance is to chop the downpipe up and offer it up until it fit's, can take a while but your only way

Turbloide2

What causes the maniold flage to point towards the bulkhead and not the exhaust tunnel ?

It has rubbed like mad on the drivers side of the tunnel and totally removed the seam!

Turbloide2

Just been out side and take some pics How can i upload or host on here ?

Turbloide2

Ive added some pics here -

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/turbloide/

Copy and paste into your address bar.

Is that the mi16 manifold ?

Does the top engine mount look out of place ?

And does the angle of the manifold look as it should ?

Thanks

welshpug

that's a 1.9 mi engine mount arm and exhaust manifold, not the 2.0 Mi/s16 ones.

also a 1.9 Mi head there.

downpipe looks like a pugsport one I remember seeing years ago.

Edited by welshpug

Miles

That is a std 1.9 Mi16 engine with the std exhaust manifold which the angle is correct for the 405 & BX, You should find the engine has been tilted as well so not a very good install I'm afraid. The Downpipe in the pic if stainless will be a Moongoose item.

You really need a re-angled manifold (??), Adaptor plate (QEP) or a decent 4-2-1 manifold (Me) and untilt the engine

Sign in to follow this