• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Stubborn Arb Problem

Atari Boy

I am struggling removing an arb from a trailing arm, the other one came out okay but this one seems firmly stuck.

I have soaked it in Plusgas and cleaned out of much of the crud that I can get to but no luck.

Does anyone have any tips or should I see if I can get it pressed out at a machine shop?

Thanks

Jonny

welshpug

do you mean torsion bar?

Atari Boy

Err yes, sorry, torsion bar :) .

welshpug

HIT IT! BFH approach :)

I guess you are just trying to remove the torsion bar from both the tube and trailing arm at once?

If so and its just not shifting it'll probably be easier to knock hit trailing arm and get one end of the torsion bar free rather than trying to free both ends at the same time.

Is the beam still on the car? I found that the weight of the trailing arm resting on the torsion bar doesn't help, once supported so that there's no tension on the splines they come out a bit easier.

Atari Boy

The beam is off the car and bar the trailing arm shaft the trailing arm is completely stripped.

I have used a decent club hammer and metal tube but the pipe just distorts at each end.

welshpug

ok, support the trailing arm with the torsion bar pointing upwards (block of wood or brick under where the shaft is)

place a bolt in the end to protect the splines and hit the end, spray some lube/penetrating stuff on the torsion bar then try and knock it out the other way, spray more stuff on and work it the other way.

I found that a lump hammer wasn't very effective, so I used a light sledge...

Atari Boy

I hadn't thought of doing it that way, I will give it a go, thanks.

XLR8

If they have not been out for a long time then they are very stubborn!

I found using a home made slide hammer whilst also having a freind hit the other side too.... But since the beam is off the car you will probably find that the trailing arms will come off when it gives way..

Atari Boy
ok, support the trailing arm with the torsion bar pointing upwards (block of wood or brick under where the shaft is)

place a bolt in the end to protect the splines and hit the end, spray some lube/penetrating stuff on the torsion bar then try and knock it out the other way, spray more stuff on and work it the other way.

I found that a lump hammer wasn't very effective, so I used a light sledge...

This is how it looks currently.

IMAGE_001.jpg

Okay so I should flip if upside down from how it is now and hit the torsion bar, when it has move a little, clean up the splines and then push it back the other way.

Is this right?

welshpug

yup spot on matey, cant quite tell there but have you removed the offset washer?

Edited by welshpug

Atari Boy
yup spot on matey, cant quite tell there but have you removed the offset washer?

Thanks for this, yes I have.

nick

When mine was stuck I clamped the torsion bar in a vice so that the arm was at the bottom, put a blown torch on where the bar meets the arm and belted it with a big f*** off hammer!! five or six whacks and it was off!

Nick

Anthony

A hydraulic press is your friend :)

Be very careful smacking it with a hammer, as if you hit the area around where the offset washer goes you'll distort it and the washer won't go back in. Putting an old ARB endplate in and hitting that is a much better option, as then the arm doesn't get damaged at all.

And yes, often a sledgehammer is required if you don't have access to a press. They can be VERY stubborn to remove.

nick

Not if you hit it on the inside of the arm like I did...!

Nick

Atari Boy

I used a hydraulic press in the end, takes 2 minutes compared to the hours I had already spent soaking, re-soaking, and hammering to no avail.

I did try the upside down route too but I felt I might break something so went the press route.

Thanks for all your help.

Sign in to follow this