• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

Camshaft Thrust Plate

Gavin Waddell

I got myself a dkz engine and well wanted to convert it to d6b so i got a cam and ecu off a forum member and well ive gone to fit the camshaft and i cant fit the thrust plate as there isnt a groove in the camshaft to fit it. i had a lookat the dkz cam and it has one and i also had a look at my 1.6 head and that also has the groove. Has any one else seen this before and the other question is this can i run with out it?

Gavin Waddell

is this a problem that no one else has encountered, ive been doing some headscratching and well there is notihng to stop the came moving side to side. which seems a bit wierd as all the other heads ive seen have this fork , is this an early model cam which peugeot worked out had a design flaw and then added the fork. Im really baffled

DamirGTI

Hi !

If you can wait till tomorrow and i'll have a look on my engines/heads in the garage :)

Anyway i was planing to do the same thing but i didn't do that cam swap yet so i can't offer you the right answer until i have a look what's needed ..

(me thinks that you just need to fit D6B thermostat housing with the D6B cam , and you don't need that cam locking/trust plate when fitting D6B cam on DKZ head , cos as you said theres no groove on the D6B cam so you can't fit it anyway .. the camshaft endfloat on the D6B head is locked with the 1-st bearing cap , i just need to see if this 1-st bearing cap is the same shape on DKZ and D6B heads and i'll let you know :mellow: )

Regards ! B)

Damir

EDIT : just spotted now , you won't be able to run an Jetronic ECU on a Motronic car/loom or the other way around , cos you can't plug Jetronic ECU Instead of Motronic one as the Motronic ECU connector have more pins/contacts .. also Jetronic is analogue system and Motronic is digital - theres a difference in fueling and ignition system (Motronic has different AFM and the ignition timing is ECU controlled ..) in between these two managements ...

Edited by DamirGTI

Gavin Waddell

im going to run the d6b cam with the d6b ecu, this was jetronic injection so it uses the same loom as my 1.6 b6d me thinks(im assuming that peugeot made all the ecus the same and just changed the map for the engine, thus keeping cost and fabrication easy) so it is just plug and play. <the whole thrust plate is weird i going to use the 1.6 dizzy abd the dkz water housing. but any info on your engines would be grateful cos i would like to work out why it hasnt got the thrust plate.

cheers Gavin

DamirGTI
im going to run the d6b cam with the d6b ecu, this was jetronic injection so it uses the same loom as my 1.6 b6d me thinks(im assuming that peugeot made all the ecus the same and just changed the map for the engine, thus keeping cost and fabrication easy) so it is just plug and play. <the whole thrust plate is weird i going to use the 1.6 dizzy abd the dkz water housing. but any info on your engines would be grateful cos i would like to work out why it hasnt got the thrust plate.

cheers Gavin

Hi !

Yes , Jetronic ECU (any type of Jetronic ECU 1.9 one or 1.6 one) and Jetronic loom is plug and play , but Jetronic ECU (again any type 1.9 or 1.6..) and Motronic loom wont work B) , or the other way around Motronic ECU and Jetronic loom ...

Right , been looking on my DKZ and D6B engines , the bearing caps are the same on DKZ and D6B heads (cap No.1 and cap No.5) ..

The endfloat on DKZ cam is controlled with the thrust plate which bolts to the bearing cap No.5 and locks the cam in position with the plate which goes inside the gap on the cam , and on D6B cam with the 1-st bearing cap , bearing cap locks the edges on the cam so that it can't move pic :

33456copycopy.jpg

Note the red areas on the camshafts .

DKZ engine - cam fitted and locked in position with the thrust plate :

IMG_6746.jpg

DKZ engine - 1-st bearing cap side (same thing as on the D6B engine anyway..) :

IMG_6748.jpg

D6B cam on top of the inlet manifold :

IMG_6749.jpg

D6B cam endfloat locking system secured by the 1-st bearing cap :

IMG_6751.jpg

IMG_6753.jpg

IMG_6752.jpg

IMG_6754.jpg

So when you fit the D6B cam on DKZ engine/head the 1-st bearing cap will lock it in position and bob's your uncle :D you don't need the thrust plate anymore :D

Rgs ! :(

Damir

(usually newer cars/engines have this cam locking system with the thrust plate , from 89-> me thinks :) , and older cars/engines have cam locking system secured with the 1-st bearing cap as shown above ..)

Edited by DamirGTI

Sign in to follow this