• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
IntenseDan

Starting Problem/idle

IntenseDan

2 things!

1. Where is the misture screw on this pic of mine?

Image400.jpg

2nd thing is a video im uploading at the moment.

Dan

Doof

After having an RR tune for the first time i was amazed at the difference in my car and the amount of problems they spotted that caused dodgy running and loss of power. From now on i'd always advise anyone to just book in for a tuneup and enjoy the benefits of a £50 session.

DamirGTI

Hi !

It's here :

Image400.jpg

As said it'll be the best to book a rolling road session for adjusting the AFM properly :P

What's wrong with the car anyway ? .. on my AFM-s i set this mixture screw roughly 7 to 8 turns from fully inside , but that's because we do not have a rolling road workshops here for professional approach :) anyway I've been checking the idle mixture afterwards at the MOT station on the Co2 meter and the idle mixture was fine every time i set up the AFM this way - 7 to 8 turns from fully inside ... but that's just the idle mixture for adjusting the mixture on entire rev range you need to adjust the AFM spring - spring tension .

Regards ! :angry:

Damir

IntenseDan

Video of the problem

Dan

IntenseDan
Hi !

It's here :

Image400.jpg

As said it'll be the best to book a rolling road session for adjusting the AFM properly :P

What's wrong with the car anyway ? .. on my AFM-s i set this mixture screw roughly 7 to 8 turns from fully inside , but that's because we do not have a rolling road workshops here for professional approach :) anyway I've been checking the idle mixture afterwards at the MOT station on the Co2 meter and the idle mixture was fine every time i set up the AFM this way - 7 to 8 turns from fully inside ... but that's just the idle mixture for adjusting the mixture on entire rev range you need to adjust the AFM spring - spring tension .

Regards ! :angry:

Damir

That interesting, on mine there is no screw there, you can tell there should be as there is a thread for a screw there!

Dan

welshpug

it may have a tamperproof cap in there, check that its there, if the screw is missing totally then you have one big airleak.

IntenseDan

oh wait, heres a pic, i take it its a allen key screw? (its a long way down the hole!)

Image401.jpg

So should i turn this while the engine is on and see if it levels out?

Dan

welshpug

no, ideally leave that one well alone until you know that the rest is working.

start off with the basics; is the throttle returning to its stop fully, is the stop set to the right place, is the switch then set to the right clearance etc.

best off getting a haynes manual and working through the system making sure everything is set right, its unbelievable how badly most 205's run because someone has tweaked a screw they thought would fix it, then tweaked a different one because that didnt work....

IntenseDan

i have a haynes manual. So what am i looking for? the how would i know where the throttle should stop? and what 'switch'?

I'm a complete 205 newbie - sorry!

Dan

DamirGTI
That interesting, on mine there is no screw there, you can tell there should be as there is a thread for a screw there!

Dan

Really :mellow: ? are you sure ?! there must be an allen screw there ...

As for the video bad starting/idle is the usual problem on these cars :) i've had the same thing as on your video ..

For fixing this you'll need to do several things :

first inspect and get rid of the air leaks ( if the AFM screw is missing there will be an leak for sure ..)

then clean throughly all the breather and inlet pipes , next very important thing - clean the AFM and TB (throttle body) from inside as best as you can with an carb cleaner and old tooth brush - remove all gummy/carbon deposits .. take the air screw out from the TB and clean the screw and the air bypass passage under it/inside the TB

then re-adjust the ignition timing and after that the idle speed with the air screw on the TB

if it won't work properly afterwards then you'll need to adjust the AFM , and again the ignition timing , air screw , throttle stop screw , and check/adjust if needed the SAD (choke)

But you must have that allen screw on the AFM ! fit him first and see if it gets better .. (you can find this screw at your local scrapyard , it doesn't have to be a screw from the Peugeot AFM , as the other brands of cars have had the same AFM body like Alfa Romeo , BMW , WV etc. etc. .. it just need to be the AFM from an car equipped with the Bosch Jetronic engine management ..)

Rgs ! B)

Damir

welshpug

which Haynes manual have you got? workshop or service and repair?

have a read of the relevant section and all should become clear (4C in the service and repair example) by switch I meant throttle switch, hope that helps :)

IntenseDan

as above, it turns out it does have one!

So basically i should remove the afm and clean it all out, and the TB too?

i have the service and repair manual

Dan

Edited by IntenseDan

DamirGTI
as above, it turns out it does have one!

So basically i should remove the afm and clean it all out, and the TB too?

i have the service and repair manual

Dan

Yes but do try to find and fit this screw back on the AFM , and if that doesn't fix the problem we'll proceed further with the process of the problem elimination B) as said the idle on these cars is a little bit bitch to fix up/adjust :) so if it can be fixed just by refitting that screw the better ..

Anyway how did the car work in the past without that screw ? :mellow:

Rgs ! B)

Damir

welshpug

have a read of chapter 4c Dan, section 10, the paragraphs for the LE2-Jetronic system.

IntenseDan
Yes but do try to find and fit this screw back on the AFM , and if that doesn't fix the problem we'll proceed further with the process of the problem elimination B) as said the idle on these cars is a little bit bitch to fix up/adjust :) so if it can be fixed just by refitting that screw the better ..

Anyway how did the car work in the past without that screw ? :mellow:

Rgs ! B)

Damir

B) it HAS got the screw, check the picture on the first page

Cheers Welshpug i'll do that.

Dan

Kennyb

hi dan, also check that there is a little rubber pipe that comes from underneath the dizzy (near the disc shaped thing) and runs across and down to the throttle body (the silver housing thing after the airflow meter, thats the thing with allen screw).

I've had a few 205's with same problem and it cant harm to check that its there cos for some reason some people cut it off and block it with a self tapper??!?!? I've had 2 like this, dunno why???!!(anyone?)

Simes

Definitely an air leak.

Check where the oil filler is connected to the inlet manifold and whether the bolts that holds it in place is there.

Sign in to follow this