• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MerlinGTI

Looking For A Miracle Electrical Contact Cleaner

MerlinGTI

Ok my engine bay loom consists of a bunch or wires and heavely corroded terminals.

Im constantly chasing bloody electrical faults as im sure many of you are and im looking for a cure.

Ive tried the Servisol, Ambersil etc... cleaners, but they are aimed at 'dirty' contacts not corroded like mine are.

Anyone used a 'wonder product'?

welshpug

yup, Mr stanley knife and Mr scalpel!

bit of WD40 or similar upon re-assembly helps keep the moisture away

when I had the Jetronic loom I cut out the often offending brown multiplug and replaced it with a superseal connector, as well as the yellow connectors for the Spot lamps.

Flix

I bought a fibreglass "pen" from Halfords.

Excellent for polishing terminals, as it says, it's a pen but has a fibreglass nib and cleans brass etc.

Only about £3.

Super Josh

I think the only real way to sort out the dodgy connections is to cut off the offending connectors and re crimp new ones on. Then put a bit of silicone grease in them to stop them corroding again.

Then cut off crimps on the wires that go into the earth blocks either side of the headlights, crimp on ring terminals and then fasten them to the studs that are left when you remove the earth blocks.

That's one advantage to the later Pugs, at least they have better connectors on things like the washer pump etc. not just the important injection ones.

Josh

MerlinGTI

Out of intrest are COMPLETE (by that i mean including all the extensions and branch's, like the dizzy - amp lead) Engine bay looms avaible?

Or just all the engine bay multi plugs? So I can knock up my own (Think i'd prefer the later)

I have done a fair bit of chop and crimp but im thinking of a more long term and final ( + prettier!) solution

Grim.Badger
Out of intrest are COMPLETE (by that i mean including all the extensions and branch's, like the dizzy - amp lead) Engine bay looms avaible?

Or just all the engine bay multi plugs? So I can knock up my own (Think i'd prefer the later)

I have done a fair bit of chop and crimp but im thinking of a more long term and final ( + prettier!) solution

I thinik they are available but cost the earth. I know the spade connectors are about 50p-£1 each and the only place I could find them was Peugeot. You really are better off cutting out the worst of it and putting new water proof connections in

Bakes100

Have a look on HERE. They do a nice selection on plugs and connectors :)

Hope This Helps

davemar

I replaced the majority of mine with superseal connectors. While those have proved reliable I do still have other connectors I'm not so sure of, particularly after the recent wet weather which sent my ignition system berserk.

Sign in to follow this