• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
luggy

Mi16 Conversion Wont Start

luggy

Im at my wits end having refurbed the engine and box over the last 5 months now I cant get the bloody thing to start. :)

It turns over fine and there is fuel but no spark. Timing has been double checked

Plugs, leads, dizzy and rotor are new, tried a known good coil, CAS and Ignition amp. Lead locations double checked.

Checked the earths, Ive had the link loom out, double checked it, took the main loom out to check for any damage but it came from a known good working donor which I broke.

One thing I did break was the coil, which melted on the king lead side. Can this signify a problem?

Only thing left to swap out is the ecu which Im currently in the process of buying, any other suggestions please fire away.

welshpug

which management system is it?

luggy
which management system is it?

Motronic 1.4 with knock sensor, 3 row ecu.

nick

Check the two relays on the Mi/bx loom, I think one does the fuel and the other does the sparks. They get dry joints on the boards inside, one of these caused me a right headache with an intermitent problem once.

Nick

luggy
Check the two relays on the Mi/bx loom, I think one does the fuel and the other does the sparks. They get dry joints on the boards inside, one of these caused me a right headache with an intermitent problem once.

Nick

Cheers, both relays are known good but Ill check to make sure the connections loom side arent corroded.

pee vee

check crank sensor connections too mate.

EDIT: or did you mean that by CAS?

Edited by pee vee

luggy
EDIT: or did you mean that by CAS?

Yes mate, and the connection checked too.

Phil H

Nick

Also check hat you have the two relays the right way round. Mine wouldn't start, so I swapped them around and sorted it.

luggy
Also check hat you have the two relays the right way round. Mine wouldn't start, so I swapped them around and sorted it.

Cheers, checked that made no difference.

Opened up the ecu, some corrosion on the joints, cleaned up with WD40 and a toothbrush and no spark.

Awaiting replacement ecu, will let you know the outcome.

luggy

ECU replaced, still no spark at the coil! :angry:

There was an alarm system on it but the only poer to the main box was a feed from the ignition and power to the flashing LED. It seems it was more for show and seems to have already been cut back its a Clifford concept 2.

If anybody has any suggestions on anything it could be no matter how trivial I would much appreciate it :(

welshpug

do you have power at the coil?

sutol

I once had a similar problem with a standard 1.9 with an alarm.

The earth that fits on to the front struts was disconnected after some work on the car.

Don't ask why but after reconnection the car started

Trivial enough :angry: ?

luggy

At ignition on Ive checked pin 4+ and 3+ and there's 13.6v but at 2- and 1- I'm getting 1.3v. I'll be honest Im not bad with the mechanical stuff but when it comes to the electrical side of it I still have a lot to learn.

pug_ham

Three row ecu is M1.3 not 1.4. :huh:

What car is your loom from?

A simple one if its from a BX is have you earthed the single (brown) wire that comes out from the ignition amp plug with a ring terminal on the end?

IIRC the 405 has this same earth wired into the main loom through one of the two loom plugs but still needs to be found & terminated at an earth point for you to get a spark.

Graham.

luggy

The mi is now running, :) knowing that the loom and other components were working good the only thing modified was the link loom.

Had a look at it again today and noticed that on the 205 side of the link loom wire 112b and 112c for the rev counter was joined to 112 and the unshielded wire next to it on the Mi loom. The unshielded wire is the earth for the rev counter OOPs :) . Rectified it by joining 112band 112c together to 112 on the mi side and earth earthed.

All I have to to now is sort out the fuelling on no 2 cylinder, cheers for the responses guys.

pugman211

whats wrong with the fuelling on no.2?????

luggy
whats wrong with the fuelling on no.2?????

No 2 spark plugs' clean and dry, all other 3 are wet and sooty.

luggy

Problem sorted, turns out it was the dodgy Ducilier Ign amp ,which worked fine on the 8v, replaced it with a bosch one and finally she runs smoothly! :blush:

luggy

After a little tidying up in the engine bay again had issues with the Mi running on 2 cylinders. Checked the usual, turns out the AFM doesnt like sitting in the vertical position, reangled it at 45 deg, fired up ran a little lumpy for the first couple of mins but it sorted the problem out.

jackherer
After a little tidying up in the engine bay again had issues with the Mi running on 2 cylinders. Checked the usual, turns out the AFM doesnt like sitting in the vertical position, reangled it at 45 deg, fired up ran a little lumpy for the first couple of mins but it sorted the problem out.

That shouldn't be a problem, chances are your AFM is faulty.

luggy
That shouldn't be a problem, chances are your AFM is faulty.

Cheers, its about the only thing left to change/fix, seen a thread by Matt who's just refurbed his AFM after cam upgrade with piccys ;) so I'll give that a go.

Sign in to follow this