• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bill

Lightweight Replacement Doorcards

bill

for people who have stripped out their interior what have you used as replacement door cards? carbon fibres to expensive, what would be the next best thing? a thin sheet of perspex?

any suggestions as what to use, and some pics if poss

ta

Baz

Nothing...

Why take out weight to put it back?

m_pugz_1986

yeah as baz said nothing but mine is like that but is driven everyday , so i about to go make some ali cards when the ali arrives , i using 1.0 gauge i cam make some up and take some pics to show you fella and more than welcome to have some off me if you like them :)

bill
Nothing...

Why take out weight to put it back?

so it doesn't look like its just rolled out of the scrap yard!

i understand what your saying, but i'd prefer it to look better for the sake of a bit of weight, my old 1.6 needed a window regulator fitting, i took all the interior door trim off to do it, never got round to doing it, and it got on my tits with no trim on at all, looked a right mess imo

bill
yeah as baz said nothing but mine is like that but is driven everyday , so i about to go make some ali cards when the ali arrives , i using 1.0 gauge i cam make some up and take some pics to show you fella and more than welcome to have some off me if you like them :)

that sounds more like what i was thinking, yeah if you could get some pics up when there done that would be cool

cheers

m_pugz_1986

well i waiting on the supplier for the ali which will be about a week as will get it cheaper if i wait :)

bill
well i waiting on the supplier for the ali which will be about a week as will get it cheaper if i wait :)

sound! look forward to the pics :o

Baz
so it doesn't look like its just rolled out of the scrap yard!

i understand what your saying, but i'd prefer it to look better for the sake of a bit of weight, my old 1.6 needed a window regulator fitting, i took all the interior door trim off to do it, never got round to doing it, and it got on my tits with no trim on at all, looked a right mess imo

Sorry i presumed you were taking the door cards off for a reason, ie weightsaving for a track car etc...

Function over form. :)

smokey

I saw these when searching for stuff on ebay.

Click Me

Quite expensive but sounds like what your looking for

All Praise The GTI

i bought some nice carbon fibre ones for mine,they were not cheap either. front and rears. decided not to fitt them as it is pretty much for track use anyway and i liked the complete stripped look.

if you want them £150 delivered. PM me if interested

• Like 1

bill
Sorry i presumed you were taking the door cards off for a reason, ie weightsaving for a track car etc...

Function over form. :P

erm, well i am kind of :) , but i'd prefer them looking a more tidy than just the metal door, you know what i mean :angry:

bill
I saw these when searching for stuff on ebay.

Click Me

Quite expensive but sounds like what your looking for

very nice!!!!!!!!!! and not as expensive as i thought they where :)

Edited by bill

bill
i bought some nice carbon fibre ones for mine,they were not cheap either. front and rears. decided not to fitt them as it is pretty much for track use anyway and i liked the complete stripped look.

if you want them £150 delivered. PM me if interested

i'll keep them in mind mate, are they the ebay ones in the link in this thread?

t16ryan

trackcar013.jpg

thats mine :)

bill

now that is light weight! :)

crogthomas

You want cheap? How about Hardboard? Like the backs of cheap DIY wardrobes are made from....

Its what many door cards are made from anyway. Paint it black from a spray can.

doorhandle.jpg

You can even get stuff that is treated to make it water resistant if that bothers you.

All Praise The GTI

i got them from a guy who bought them for his rally car but were never used. i test fitted them but decided to leave them out. hence they basically new.

look similar to ebay ones but better quality i think

bill
You want cheap? How about Hardboard? Like the backs of cheap DIY wardrobes are made from....

Its what many door cards are made from anyway. Paint it black from a spray can.

doorhandle.jpg

You can even get stuff that is treated to make it water resistant if that bothers you.

i like it, now where talking :angry:

bill

can i just ask how people fit these door cards? do you need a rivet gun?

crogthomas

I used self tapping screws and brass cup washers from the DIY store. Easy to remove when needed and cheap.

SIDCPHIL

I am going to use foamex very light and weather proof

AdamP

I'm just going to chop the inners out! No need for door cards if the windows are fixed, and use a piece of wire for a door handle!

DaveW

Rallye door cards are real thin and only come up inline with the top of the speaker grille is.

SIDCPHIL

Finished article just needs attaching with some self tapping screws

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

Phil

pdd144c

I have a set that cost an obscene amount of money (circa £500) back in the day. Covers the doors, rear quarters in one piece, not 3 piece like most others, and the floor. Made from a thin and flexible type of fibreglass, finished in gun metal grey. Make me a reasonable offer and they are yours!

post-3618-1208194340_thumb.jpg

post-3618-1208194361_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this