• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
whizzer71

1.9 / 1.6 Pistons

whizzer71

Have noticed that DanPug has a set of TT pistons for sale but he says that they are for a 1.6 so I assume that the rods are different,would it just be a simple case of swapping the pistons onto 1.9 rods or are the pistons completely wrong for use in a 1.9 turbo application?

:lol:

DamirGTI

Hello !

Distance (mm.) from the the gudgeon pin center to the piston crown :

1.6 pistons : 37.5

1.9 pistons : 36.2

Yes the rods are different , the 1.6 ones are longer :

1.6 conrods : 150.5

1.9 conrods : 143

Anyway you can swap them :lol: , but be careful not to damage the piston as you need to press them out from the pistons and press back inside 1.9 ones ...

Regards ! :huh:

Damir

whizzer71
Hello !

Distance (mm.) from the the gudgeon pin center to the piston crown :

1.6 pistons : 37.5

1.9 pistons : 36.2

Yes the rods are different , the 1.6 ones are longer :

1.6 conrods : 150.5

1.9 conrods : 143

Anyway you can swap them :lol: , but be careful not to damage the piston as you need to press them out from the pistons and press back inside 1.9 ones ...

Regards ! :P

Damir

So would I be safe to use them in a turbo application? I want to run around 1 bar of boost without melt down in a otherwise std 1.9 Gti lump engine code D6B,emerald amangement TT manifold and a fair sized T25 or 28 turbo hoping for 200 + Bhp and enough torque to shift a small planet !

Will it work out and be reliable ?,or will it last 5 mins until I get to the nearest motorway and then blow a piston or melt a valve / valves ??

I have an RGX 2.0ltr turbo unit as well that I have been building but would prefer to stick with the 1.9 engine if at all possible ?

:huh:

TEKNOPUG

Standard pistons will be fine if you are using Emerald management and you have it mapped by someone that knows what they are doing. 1bar might be pushing it but in reality you won’t need to run that much boost to get the same figures as you would with lowered compression and increased boost. The engine will be more responsive too.

danpug

Vern is running around 240 bhp on machined pistons, thats with an emerald.

whizzer71
Standard pistons will be fine if you are using Emerald management and you have it mapped by someone that knows what they are doing. 1bar might be pushing it but in reality you won’t need to run that much boost to get the same figures as you would with lowered compression and increased boost. The engine will be more responsive too.

On a D6B or DKZ engine,and is that totally std too or will I have to mod anything,I was thinking about using a Gti6 head gasket too just for abit of extra reliability

TEKNOPUG

You want to use a 16v gasket for an 8v head an block........ :rolleyes:

Just use an 8v Grp N gasket from Peugeot - will be more than upto the job.

whizzer71
You want to use a 16v gasket for an 8v head an block........ :)

Just use an 8v Grp N gasket from Peugeot - will be more than upto the job.

I thought the 8v & 16v gaskets were the same pattern and had the same oil feed/return holes etc ???

guffe
I thought the 8v & 16v gaskets were the same pattern and had the same oil feed/return holes etc ???

AFAIK the 8v and 16v gaskets are exactly the same, so there is no difference at the materials or reliability. :)

Edited by guffe

welshpug
AFAIK the 8v and 16v gaskets are exactly the same, so there is no difference at the materials or reliability. :)

there is a difference, 1.9 ones are meant for an 83mm bore, 2.0 ones 86mm.

whizzer71

I was originally toying wit the idea of turboing my original 1.9 engine as its low very mileage and like new inside I have a TT manifold coming and have a nice rebuilt T25 to put on it BUT I also have a 2.0ltr Turbo unit from a 406 that I have recently rebuilt IF I use the 2.0ltr engine then I will be using a GTI6 head gasket but IF I use the 1.9 I will be using a GRP N one,Dont really know which way to go right now and I'm sure that plenty of people have their own ideas / opinions .

I have done several conversions using the 406 2.0ltr turbo engine with DKZ cam and raised boost with really good results, one of which gets driven to the absolute limit all the time and to be honest Im suprised that its survived dont know what its making at the wheels but its extremely rapid and pulls to the limiter in 5th with a hybrid gearbox (Diesel diff and a mix of 1.9Gti / Xsara Vts gears).

So Im in the middle of decision time right now!,Do I stick with the tried and tested or try something new ?

:)

Sign in to follow this