• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GazRallye

What Gearbox Will Fit?

GazRallye

Last summer I changed my 2 driveshafts and both seals on my XS. Around 6 months later gearbox oil began to seep from one (or both) of the seals, it got progressively worse until it basically holds no oil, literally you pour it in and 10 mins later theres a nice big pool on the floor.

So after this problem, I decided to take the car off the road in January where its been sat ever since SORN and looking sorry, and i've forgotten and lost my love for it!

Today I gave it a clean and fired it up (3rd time lucky!) and took it up and down the farm track I live on a few times to get it moving again, it does feel slow compared with the SAAB even in 1st and 2nd, and is comically small by comparison!

The box has done 130k, along with the rest of the car. I don't really know whats wrong with the box and why it does this, it doesn't whine (unless theres no oil in it!) but it does have a noise, most noticeable on motorways like something is wobbling, like a pulsing kind of noise and the gearstick seems to move at the same frequency (gearbox mount maybe?)

I've decided the easiest and most conclusive way of getting to the root of this problem is to change the box for a decent one, along with the mounts and I might as well do the clutch release bearing, maybe even the clutch too.

I don't want a 205 rallye or saxo vtr box, they're too long.

XS and AX GT boxes seem to be getting old and tired and hard to find a good one.

106 Rallye gearbox, far too expensive!

AX GTi/ S1 106 XSi box, seem like a good compromise of speed/economy so are a strong possibility.

What are the boxes off a 1.1 like (saxo/106/205/AX?)? Will a newer one from a saxo fit?

Does the saxo vts/ 106 gti box fit??

Opinions please guys....

Sandy

You can fit any of the later MA boxes, but the ones with a thicker diff pin, will need the nearside shat seal set about 2-3mm proud of the casing to prevent severe leakage. Most of the Saxo/106 boxes are taller than 3.98 on the base models, the ones to look for IMO, are later 205 and 309 1.1 5spd boxes, which are 4.29:1.

Jrod

I know of an XS box for sale for £65 if you are intrested. I was also offered another one but never looked into the price.

GazRallye

Where is this Xs box you speak of Jrod?

Sandy, so you're saying that later 205 and 309 1.1 boxes are decent? Not sure what you mean with the nearside shaft seal needing to be set.... what would this require?

Sandy
Where is this Xs box you speak of Jrod?

Sandy, so you're saying that later 205 and 309 1.1 boxes are decent? Not sure what you mean with the nearside shaft seal needing to be set.... what would this require?

Those boxes have 4.29 FDR.

With the sporty 106/Saxo boxes, the seal needs to be proud of the diff housing, not flush, by about 2-3mm, so it sitson the thick part of the driveshaft correctly.

Sign in to follow this